Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting FFVII with my kids

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just be careful of the part where it spoils Aeris dying.

Blog Entries

Nice! I've got our 10 year old Arkin playing, he just unlocked the safe to get Vincent, but forgot to grab the key and ran out of the mansion lol. Took him a while to unlock the safe and earlier he forgot to save after cosmo canyon so he had to do that all over again. He's really enjoying the game though. I still pull out my old official Bradygames guide as well ince the younger two hellions usually ahve stolen my phone by that point and Arkin is playing on my PC.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always imagined Red XIII to have a deep voice though he's supposed to be a teenager for his species.
    I actually thought he had a deep voice back in the day, because Bugenhagen says he is very deep, but I realise now that that line referred to his personality.

Awww kids these days, can't look it up on that old final fantasy website, nope just google it on your phone. BACK IN MY DAY we had to bicker with people on internet message boards!
    The password changes each time, though...

I love that you're doing this, Final Fantasy VII was so awesome when I did it the first time, so I can totally relate to what your kids are experiencing - and they're going through it without any previous experience (I was aware of some things, due to reading strategy guides long before even buying the game), and even then it was an awesome experience as the next scene happened. I'm sure it's really fun for them, hearing it in your storyteller style.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

We are now out of Midgar and through the Kalm flashback.

The kids appreciated the various puzzle floors in the Shinra building, especially the one where you could only open 3 doors to get the item coupons. They liked the motorcycle chase too. I think a main reason this and the other FF games from around this era were so great was these little things you do to break up the standard "fight, open chest, cutscene" formula of RPGs.

The music is having great effect on them. When Cloud and the others are captured by Shinra but then the eerie music starts and the jail cell is open, they were on edge. Same with the flashback when Sephiroth's theme starts up right before he goes crazy.

They think Barret is really funny. Part of it is the voice I gave him but he also just has some great lines. Like when he sees the Jenova specimen in the Shinra building and says "Where's its #%&!ing head??" I feel like Barret is the everyman of this game, reacting to things like many of us would unlike the other characters who are just pretty cool with all that's going down. I also decided to give Red XIII a somewhat dignified deep voice because he speaks very politely. They're not really into him yet since he just joined and doesn't have a ton of storyline until Cosmo Canyon.

Their appreciation of Tifa grew during the flashback though they still prefer Aerith. I put Tifa in the party anyway because she's stronger. They also have quite the respect for Sephiroth's power from that part in Mt. Nibel where he uses all the high tier nukes and Cloud is super weak. Then of course when he goes crazy and burns the village. They also saw the dead Midgar Zolom later on and were like 'daaaaang Sephiroth killed that huge thing? '

We got to the chocobo stables and it took me four tries to catch the damn thing. Tifa had a limit break and decided to do both her attacks on the bird, then it pecked me and ran away. They laughed at me for that. They loved the Choco/Mog summon as I thought they would.

They pick up on the details and ask some good logical questions. Like when Barret has Atomic Scissors equipped so he does a melee attack, yet he can still use Big Shot. Or how I was able to use the missile ability the tank used on me.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My favorite part of that Barret quote is when he says "This whole thing's stupid."

I'm loving how much they're enjoying this, and I bet they'll love the other summons too. I always like Shiva (and still do!) because she was pretty and icy. Also curious to how they react to Yuffie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They liked that line too. I think they'll like Yuffie, especially when she steals the materia. They have a mischievous streak in them.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, based on what you've said, it sounded like that. Especially because Yuffie is so over-the-top.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This is really cool, I feel like most five year olds wouldn't appreciate the game but I'm delighted to read that they're enjoying it.

And yeah, I never knew about any special secret buttons on the PSN version of the game. I played it on PSP and a little on PS3 and it never did anything special. Interesting but I don't think I could bring myself to use the limit break booster outside of perhaps AP farming.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

We are through Gold Saucer now. I forgot how quickly it goes after the crawl through Midgar. You are in Costa Del Sol for like 5 minutes, North Corel for about 2 minutes. I am curious about how the remake will deal with some of these places.

They loved sailor suit Barret and basically asked me when we could find him every two minutes after that glimpse at the end of Junon. They were not disappointed. They are fully invested into every clue the NPCs leave about the trail of Sephiroth. They thought we were going to fight him on the boat when the first Jenova battle came and we fought 'Sephiroth's mama'. They didn't think she was that scary in the battle and the weird creatures from Shinra and Nibelheim were scarier.

I got to Gold Saucer low on gil so had to go back out and do a few battles first. I let them do the battles and they liked spamming attack and using the summons. Choco/Mog is definitely their favorite. They liked every area of Gold Saucer, though the chocobo races and Speed Square were their favorites. We lost our first several racing bets and they egged me on to keep going until we won, then we hit a good win with 50 GP that we used to try the other stuff. Probably shouldn't take them to the track any time soon. During the Dyne stuff, my daughter liked that there was a character with her name. I guess they both have one!

I forgot to get Yuffie on the way to Junon so we picked her up after we got the buggy. They immediately loved her and her tricky plans, and laughed when I stupidly used the save point and she stole 200 gil. My daughter wants to be her for Halloween now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This is so weirdly enjoyable to read about. Maybe it's because they're so young that they can look at FFVII without having a mind jaded from years of gaming. Keep it up!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Omg, I don't know if you used the save point on purpose to give them a good laugh, but I absolutely love that!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Omg, I don't know if you used the save point on purpose to give them a good laugh, but I absolutely love that!
    Yeah, we'll say it was that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Yeah, we'll say it was that.

Dude, 200 gil is a LOT at that point in the game, too.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

She told me she gave it back, and I completely believe this random kid that just robbed me in a forest and then decided to follow me.

Awesome thread del. Enjoyed the read so far. I tried getting my kids into it but It failed, couple of years ago I'd say, thus makes want to try again hahah, happy gaming