Thread: Starting FFVII with my kids

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

We haven't played in a while, since I got KH3 and they are really into that right now. But here's where we are:

They loved the Cosmo Canyon music. I hear my son randomly humming it all the time now. They thought Bugenhagen was weird because he doesn't have legs and just floats around like a ghost (I always thought that too). Their respect for Red XIII has grown after this segment, though they still prefer a combo of Barret/Yuffie/Aeirth for battles.

Neibelheim, with its creepy music and wierdos wandering around, appropriately gave them the heebie jeebies. My daughter astutely pointed out that the whole place should be burned down but why does it look the same? Then my son said 'maybe they built it really fast'. For some reason they really liked that part where "Sephiroth" throws the Destruct materia at you. I guess they thought it was funny he would give you something helpful when you should be fighting him. We tried to figure out the safe combo using the hints but it took too long and I missed a number somewhere so I just looked it up. *shrug* Vincent sleeping in a "box" was very funny. He was an immediate favorite in battles due to using guns and being able to transform into a monster.

Next up was Rocket Town. They didn't like Cid as much as I would have thought but maybe he's more of an adult character compared to the fairly cartoony mannerisms of Barret. They did question why he is so mean to Shera. They also liked that we got a plane and then were sad that it just became a boat.

We wandered the sea a bit in Tiny Bronco and then landed on a new continent. We were on our merry way when... you guessed it! Yuffie stole our materia. This was really the moment I was waiting to show them because it is so random and hilarious. We left it here because it is a nice cliffhanger. My daughter wants to be Yuffie for Halloween now, but I feel like we should wait a year to do the FFVII costumes when the remake is out.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

I now want kids so I can do this. I just don't want the responsibility or the nagging wife that keeps telling me to stop the gaming and find a real job.

This is so cool! Actually when the game first came about I was about the same age as them Haha, and I watched my brother play through it. I remember how into it I got and was constantly asking my brother questions about the story. I was also a big fan of flower girl, although when I played the game myself later was more into Tifa.
    The wall market part was my favorite I laughed so much! And then when it got to the confrontation I was like "what does he mean cut them off? Cut what off?" Haha

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah they asked about that too so I just changed the subject.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This has been an entertaining read, Murd. Very cool idea. Have you played any more with them since your last post?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    They thought Bugenhagen was weird because he doesn't have legs and just floats around like a ghost (I always thought that too).
    I thought this for years too. It turns out though that he does have legs but is just a lazy smurfer. He sits cross-legged on his floating ball.

BH.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by G13 View Post
    This has been an entertaining read, Murd. Very cool idea. Have you played any more with them since your last post?
    We moved on to some other things and they started school so I haven't brought it back yet. Maybe this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    They thought Bugenhagen was weird because he doesn't have legs and just floats around like a ghost (I always thought that too).
    I thought this for years too. It turns out though that he does have legs but is just a lazy smurfer. He sits cross-legged on his floating ball.

BH.jpg
    whoa

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah that image blows my mind. I actually always thought he was a legless floating guy too. I mean, his 'grandson' is a talking wolf, so anything is possible.

Kids are into Pokemon Shield now. I may just end up holding out for the remake at this point. With the voice acting, it makes it a lot easier on me.