Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E3 discussion thread

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default E3 discussion thread

Here's a few things I was interested in today off the top of my head:

-Keanu Reeves starring in Cyberpunk 2077

-Blair Witch video game trailer. It'll probably be like a 3 hour game but I love exploring creepy locations RE7 Biohazard style. But the essence of Blair Witch is actually not seeing what's scary so I hope it's mostly a psychological game.

-Tales of Arise. I've played most localized Tales of games up to this point and it looks gorgeous.

-Halo: Infinite cinematic trailer. No gameplay yet, but I'm still excited to get new footage. Holiday 2020 release date? Whew lads. Might be a launch game for the new console I suspect.

-Dragonball Z: Kakarot may be good. Visually it's nice, but I want to see more footage.

-Jedi: Fallen Order slaps hard and I'm excited for another long play, single player Star Wars experience.

That's all that comes to mind right now, what are your thoughts on E3?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Elden Rings - Imagine Lord of the Rings, just with more boobs and dying. I kid, but the trailer doesn't give us much to work with.

Deathloop looks interesting, but I get the strangest feeling this game is going to play a bit more like a Battle Royal style game. We'll have to wait and see.

Nice to see Psychonauts is getting a sequel though.

Spiritfarer looks interesting, the animation is pretty gorgeous even if the game looks a bit like a high budget indie title.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Highlights for me so far:

- Tales of Arise
    - PSO2 finally coming to the west (officially)
    - Adding Cyberpunk 2077 to my "games I put over 100 hours into but never finish due to burnout" list

So yeah that's mostly from the XBox presser. Bethesda I was decided whelmed by.

Looking forward to seeing Ubisoft later today, and even Square Enix tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    -Halo: Infinite cinematic trailer. No gameplay yet, but I'm still excited to get new footage. Holiday 2020 release date? Whew lads. Might be a launch game for the new console I suspect.
    You are correct,. It is a launch title, they confirmed it during the press conference.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Okay that new Watch Dogs game looks smurfing amazing. Most exciting for me so far.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Microsoft. Pretty much typical and normal Xbox gaming, though Mr Reeves was a pleasant surprise. I believe that the "You're breathtaking !" guy was a plant, but a cool plant nonetheless. It wasn't expecting anything too exciting apart from the typical Dudebro games, and it was just normal Microsoft basically. Also the new Tales game looks promising. 5/10

Bethesda. Omg, one of the worst E3 showcases in E3 history. The clearly planted crowd over cheering became a good meme. -3/10

PC. Skipped it. Not waking up in the very early morning to catch PC gaming lol. I would rather sleep/ 10.

Ubisoft. Meh. 1/10

Square.
    Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered, Romancing Saga, Dragon Quest XI Switch. Did have some duds though. 8/10

Square Enix stole the show. Between Final Fantasy 7 Remake looking outstanding, Final Fantasy 8 getting a remaster (a game that no one believed would ever get ported because they reportedly lost the original source code), and Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers shaping up to be the best expansion yet...I think Square deserves some major credit for their performance this E3.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Microsoft had the best show for me. Tons of games (though of course not every single one will be my thing), Keanu Reeves and a Cyberpunk release date, new Tales looking great, and more.

Ubisoft had Watch Dogs which was great but besides that pretty meh, probably their weakest show in recent times.

Bethesda's first half was a joke (Fallout 76, mobile stuff, ESO) but their publishing side of things was solid (Doom Eternal, Ghostwire Tokyo, Wolfenstein)

PC Gaming was okay, some nice games but they really didn't need to do the whole "walk out from behind the stage and have a 5 minute conversation for every single game" thing. Also no real surprises.

Square Enix was again okay, FF7 Remake was the obvious highlight, I don't care about an FF8 port that looks no better than PC FF8 with mods. As for SaGa, while it's nice to know they're still bringing them over, still no solid info on the timeframe. KH3 DLC was the same trailer we already saw a day earlier, Dying Light 2 was the same footage we already saw earlier. They ended with Avengers which was probably supposed to wow, but it did not. The footage looked like it lacked a certain polish, the live service thing was worrying even though they said there will be no additional cost, overall very much "wait and see" on it.

Also, noted a lack of Babylon's Fall. Teased last year as a 2019 game, it completely fell off the map so I can only assume they scrapped that whole project. Outriders looked promising though.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Roller Champions is fun but you already have people with 3000 fans going against people with like 100 and it's no fun when that happens.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Square-Enix is about the only studio really bringing out anything I'm excited for at the moment, though From Software had a few choice items as well including the port of Metal Wolf Chaos.

SE just had the bigger surprises so far for me, namely the VIII and Crystal Chronicles remasters, as well as the Trial/Collection of Mana entries. Also nice to see that VIIR has a release date for the first episode and that the two SaGa entries Kawazu promised are still heading for a western release with a trailer showing so.

The biggest surprise for me came a week before E3 anyway with the release date for Death Stranding. I am happy that DS and FFVIIR both have release dates and won't be pulling another The Last Guardian/FFXV nonsense by being no-shows and eventually just pushed back to another console generation.

So far, the only big disappointment for me, which I technically knew was going to happen before E3, was that I was hoping to hear how development of Shin Megami Tensei V was doing, but apparently one of the producers said before the conference that it was not ready to be shown yet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

FF:CC remaster has been known for quite some time WK! Matt and Shauna educated me on it some months ago, but I don't know if we had any footage to watch back then.

Also, wow, the games release calendar from September 2019 and then again from late February 2020 is shaping up pretty nicely... let me know if I missed any. Games in bold are the ones I'm interested in personally.

06/09 - Gears 5
    13/09 - Borderlands 3
    20/09 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    04/10 - Ghost Recon Breakpoint
    25/10 - The Outer Worlds
    08/11 - Death Stranding
    15/11 - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
    15/11 - Pokémon Sword and Shield
    19/11 - Shenmue 3
    22/11 - Doom Eternal

25/02 - Gods & Monsters
    03/03 - Final Fantasy VII: Remake
    06/03 - Watch Dogs: Legion
    20/03 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    16/04 - Cyberpunk 2077

Not bad!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I'm going to give kudos to another studio at this point, I feel Nintendo had a pretty good showing, the Link's Awakening remake looks adorable, Switch is getting the Mana Collection with the original ports, Smash is getting a bunch of DQ love, No More Heroes III, and we're getting a Panzer Dragoon remake as well? To top it all off, we got our first peek of the Breath of the Wild sequel? Yeah, Nintendo had a pretty good showing as well.

Nintendo was alright, it had some big highlights like Dragon Quest finally being in Smash, and the new Animal Crossing, but there was also a lot of duds in the middle as well. It was pretty mixed. 6/10 ?

Not bad, but not groundbreaking brilliant either.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Can we take a moment to appreciate that all the people who are saying SE had the best presentation are listing off remakes and remasters as the reason why.

We're clearly entering the end of console generation lull when people are more excited for re-releases than new games. xD

Most of the time it's hard tonget excited for new releases because we don't know much about them. For example, BotW sequel generates a lot of excitement, but that's because it's a sequel. Okay, I suppose any Zelda game would generate excitement, but the same logic applies. I don't really know if interesting new games (as in not belonging to established series) were announced but they'd probably fly under my radar until release.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Can we take a moment to appreciate that all the people who are saying SE had the best presentation are listing off remakes and remasters as the reason why.

We're clearly entering the end of console generation lull when people are more excited for re-releases than new games. xD
    To be fair, I'm mostly happy that they are finally giving Romancing SaGa 3 and Seiken Densetsu 3 a western release. I couldn't care less about the VII Remake. While the VIII Remaster is neat, I'm not likely going to pick it up either unless it offers something interesting in the mix, which judging by the VII and IX remasters is likely not going to be anything. SE's presentation can easily be summed up as "Hey, remember when we were a great company and made awesome games? Here have some fanservice" but it's obvious that this is the only thing the core fanbase has wanted for years at this point. I doubt a new IP would be greeted with anything less than suspicion considered how fickle we can all be.