Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extended Trailer and Gameplay Trailers

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Square Enix pretty much reassured any doubts I had about the game. The combat system looks vastly improved over the trainwreck that was Final Fantasy XV, and they've even implemented the Stagger mechanic from XIII which I'm a huge fan of.

The game looks incredible. Can't wait to play this on PS4 in March.
    Yeah, Honestly you can tell they have learned from XII, XIII, and XV when it comes to combat. This looks like the strangely bishie baby form of it. (Seriously how gorgeous is sephy)
    And VII!

They managed to look beyond the cries of "KEEP IT TURN BASED" and identify what people actually loved about VII's battle systems, and kept that in place. And, dare I say it, even expanded and improved upon it? By reducing the 'attack' button to a small damage thing that just helps charge your proper abilities, there's gonna be so much less attack-spamming your way through the game and way more incentive to use your cool stuff.

Whether this is actually Sephiroth speaking through the JENOVA-S-cell connection with Cloud or Cloud just imagining he is hearing Sephiroth while Sephiroth is still asleep I am glad they actually mae Sephiroth say "Cloud". When he was in the state of awakening while running around with Jenova in the original he had no idea who Cloud was and that does not fit the grudge he is holding over getting beaten by random blue guard who went all loser turns hero. It makes it more believable they are actually nemesi.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Square Enix pretty much reassured any doubts I had about the game. The combat system looks vastly improved over the trainwreck that was Final Fantasy XV, and they've even implemented the Stagger mechanic from XIII which I'm a huge fan of.

The game looks incredible. Can't wait to play this on PS4 in March.
    I'm also pleased to see the stagger system implemented in to FFVII. I wonder if the stagger system works the same way as in FFXIII, with magic boosting the gauge whilst using physical attacks?
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Yeah, Honestly you can tell they have learned from XII, XIII, and XV when it comes to combat. This looks like the strangely bishie baby form of it. (Seriously how gorgeous is sephy)
    Definitely. It seems like they've taken some nods from XII (being able to pause combat to select an ability or target for attack, I think?), XIII (the stagger meter), and XV (actually attacking the enemy yourself). I'm really impressed because I was worried this was going to be like XV where magic was almost a non-factor and combat mostly consisted of holding O to attack and using warp-strikes. This game seems to have a lot more nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    And VII!

They managed to look beyond the cries of "KEEP IT TURN BASED" and identify what people actually loved about VII's battle systems, and kept that in place. And, dare I say it, even expanded and improved upon it? By reducing the 'attack' button to a small damage thing that just helps charge your proper abilities, there's gonna be so much less attack-spamming your way through the game and way more incentive to use your cool stuff.
    I think both turn based and action combat can be executed well, but it really does look promising. Although based on what you've said...I wonder if you'll be able to use 4x Cut Materia to just spam attacks throughout the rest of the game. I loved doing that in the original VII.

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    I'm also pleased to see the stagger system implemented in to FFVII. I wonder if the stagger system works the same way as in FFXIII, with magic boosting the gauge whilst using physical attacks?
    I couldn't tell, but I know the way it worked in XIII is that it also allowed you to knock enemies up into the air for even more damage. I really enjoyed that but I feel like FF7R will have a different approach to it.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Articles

FFXIV Character

I couldn't tell, but I know the way it worked in XIII is that it also allowed you to knock enemies up into the air for even more damage. I really enjoyed that but I feel like FF7R will have a different approach to it.
    In the FFXIII demo that released in Japan you had to press a button to launch enemies in to the air when they staggered. They changed it to an automatic thing in the actual release. Maybe in the FF7R certain characters will have to spend an ATB slot to use a move with launch capabilities?
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

On paper I like the compromise they're meeting between turn-based and action RPG for combat (and including the stagger system for bonus points). Will have to see how it feels though, but right now I'm down with the concept.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wow, looks amazing so far! Great blend of action and tactical battles.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    You need to remember that this boss fight is effectively a tutorial, tutorial bosses always take longer and have more going on. I don't expect every single battle to have scenes like that where they walk you through the process of finding a weakness and exploiting it. Also, fights always seem faster when you're actually involved in them, at least in my experience. Your mind is going through processes instead of just sitting there watching.

Regardless, I'm not against long boss fights so long as they are engaging and satisfying. There are games where you spend considerably longer than what we saw in that video when facing a boss and I don't see why FF can't be amongst those if they play it out right.
    My concern really stems from the issue that I was actually getting a little bored after awhile as the battle went on, and the more concerning factor that the video is obviously edited down for the sake of time with noticeable cuts. Even as a tutorial/first epic boss fight, dragging this fight out to a ten minute mark feels a bit concerning for me. I mean it looks like Cloud and Barret are doing comparable damage to their PS1 counterparts, but Guard Scorpion seem to have the health pool of a boss from second disc of the original. I'm all for the tactical changes like the new defensive mode, its ability to move out of range forcing you to use Barret and magic to strike, and cover mechanics for the Tail attack; but the video gave the impression their might be a lot of "rinse and repeat" elements at play here. Looking at the rest of the trailer, I feel like the Guard Buster boss seems to have a few cinematic style shenanigans going on as well. This is all well and good for a first time fight many fans feel is one of the game's most memorable, but if every boss fight is going to be like this, then I feel its going to kill some of the pacing. VII was always one of the faster battle systems, so having it start taking cues from Kingdom Heart's more self-indulgent cinematic fights seems a bit concerning.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Another interesting bit for me is that he seems to rescue Jessie by doing the bike minigame down the tunnels. Looks like we'll be having that mini-game happen more than once.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I hope Chaos looks like in Dirge of Cerberus but I guess we will not find that out in any trailer. And definitely not in the trailers for Cloud Strife's awesome Midgar Quest.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Another interesting bit for me is that he seems to rescue Jessie by doing the bike minigame down the tunnels. Looks like we'll be having that mini-game happen more than once.
    The bike scene with Jessie surprised me, I wasn't expecting to see any bike gameplay until the awesomely amazing and fantastical escape from ShinRa HQ.

Yeah I suspect the bombing missions are going to be quite a bit longer in the remake, and probably a bunch of downtime in between them so you can hang out and get to know your Avalanche buddies and explore Midgar.

The PlayStation Pre-Order Text is lying to me. They tell me I can pre-order an action-roleplaying game with former SOLDIER Cloud Strife and not dead SOLDIER Zack Fair + Tifa Lockheart memories facade using mercenary and former random blue ShinRa guard Cloud Strife.

I liked how Jessie looked and that's a good thing.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Cell View Post
    I liked how Jessie looked and that's a good thing.
    The collapse of sector 7 is going to be rough.