Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII is getting a remaster!

I agree with Golbez. It's cool that these things are in but cheats for Drawing in particular would be a really nice QoL change.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

There isn't really anything to complain about since the cheats are opt-in.

For me, as someone who did a full on Let's Play recently (thanks to those who read my thread) the cheats will be great for me as someone who wants to experience the changes but also plow through it because it's still fresh in my mind.

There are a few exceptions. If you use the cheats on Omega Weapon, you're whack. That's my personal opinion. That fight is so hard to the point where you get a certificate of completion in your menu for beating it. I think you've got to earn it.

Or not.

Whatever.

Omega Weapon isn't even that hard if you're op in the game. Much easier than Emerald and Ruby in FF7. Honestly, getting to Omega is more of a pain than beating him. Anyway, I'm not really complaining but it would be kind of nice to have softer cheats. The cheats they're offering are so overpowered I'd never use them, but I might use cheats along the lines of what I mentioned.

I don't know what to tell you. I've beaten Omega before and don't recall significant difficulty. Never beat the other two and it always seemed like you had to go out of your way to get some overpowered stuff to beat them and even then have to use some specific strategies (especially for Ruby).

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, all three of them are pansies compared to stuff that comes later within the series. Emerald is pretty easy to beat as long as you know how it's main attack works and technically a Lucky 7 strategy will decimate him before he knows what happened. Ruby can be paralyzed by Hades or the Dazers item and if that feels too cheap, you can trap him in a loop where you continuously summon KotR and at high enough levels, can effectively dodge his Ultima counter.

Omega follows a strict pattern, so knowing it can make him easy peasy, if you don't want to look it up, just card mod Gilgamesh or Laguna cards to get either 10 Holy Wars or 100 Hero items to make the party invincible, or simply just have Rinoa only learn the Invincible Moon ability for Angelo so the likelihood of activating it is easier and then just cheese the boss with an invincible party.

Honestly neither game has terribly hard optional bosses.

As for the cheats... eh, I felt the ones the PC version brought to the table were pretty game breaking. I guess they're nice for people who just want to enjoy the story, but I happen to enjoy drawing magic and using the Junction system so I doubt I would ever use them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Omega Weapon while a relatively easy superboss was also a rather fun one for me. If I look at it through my game design lens it's a pretty poorly designed one, basically going from "Level 5 Gatekeep which you just have to know about" to "doing basically no damage" to "suddenly almost TPKing your party" to "doing basically no damage", rinse and repeat. But probably the most satisfying thing about the fight is that he actually has the HP to withstand a full-on assault for a while and allow you to let loose with all the Lion Hearts and Quick Shots and Zell Duels and whatever else and not just have the battle end immediately for it. God that felt good.

But yeah, the FF series has few truly tough optional bosses, and they're all mostly in the PS2 era.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I don't know what to tell you.
    Ideally, nothing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    But yeah, the FF series has few truly tough optional bosses, and they're all mostly in the PS2 era.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've never played that game and yet I've watched that fight so many times ^^

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    I've never played that game and yet I've watched that fight so many times ^^
    It helps that Nocturne's Normal Battle theme is pretty epic.

I'm trying to figure out why the enemy has attacks that do over 7000 damage in a game where the HP cap appears to be 999.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm trying to figure out why the enemy has attacks that do over 7000 damage in a game where the HP cap appears to be 999.
    Well it is an Atlus game...

I think the closes comparison to him in a Squenix game is either a few of the KH optional bosses like Lingering Sentiment or Unknown BbS original, or from FF itself, that one boss from XI that the devs always change how to beat him whenever someone figures out how to do it.

Omega Weapon isn't even that hard if you're op in the game. Much easier than Emerald and Ruby in FF7. Honestly, getting to Omega is more of a pain than beating him. Anyway, I'm not really complaining but it would be kind of nice to have softer cheats. The cheats they're offering are so overpowered I'd never use them, but I might use cheats along the lines of what I mentioned.
    Aura everybody

Use a Hero on everybody

Lionheart and Irvine limit break to death

Basically.

Exactly. That's a lot easier than setting up Lucky 7's (which I think still won't get you all the way there, though I've never tried) or mastering KOTR and whatever other materia you need to keep a steady stream of KOTR summons coming. Heck, it's easier than acquiring KOTR. Like I said getting to Omega before the timer runs out is harder than beating Omega.