Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII is getting a remaster!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Exactly. That's a lot easier than setting up Lucky 7's (which I think still won't get you all the way there, though I've never tried) or mastering KOTR and whatever other materia you need to keep a steady stream of KOTR summons coming. Heck, it's easier than acquiring KOTR. Like I said getting to Omega before the timer runs out is harder than beating Omega.
    You're forgetting you still have to get those Hero drinks and while it's possible to get Lionheart on the first disc, it's not actually that easy to do either since it requires both a lot of grinding for GF skills and dumb luck with Card Mod results to get certain very important cards.

Getting KotR is time consuming, but not terribly difficult, you don't even need to master it for either boss cause you only need the one, and there is actually other strategies to beat them with just Level 3 Limit Breaks, and if we really want to get down to it, you can always just use the Joker Cait Sith Limit Break to beat both of them since neither of them have immunity to it for a one-hit kill.

Overall, beating any super weapon is usually not challenging as much as it just requires too much prep work.

**************************************************************************************************** *****
    Back on topic

Kitase spoke to Famitsu about the Remaster and offered a few minor tidbits:

• A lot of the original staff are working on it, including battle programmer Hiroshi Harada, Character modeling Tomohiro Kayano, and character designer Tetsuya Nomura.
    • The character refinement is due to the original staff working and hoping to improve on the game.
    • Battle assistance, which I mentioned earlier will be implemented
    • They are not putting Chocobo World into the game, but they are going to make the unique items from it available through Angelo's Search ability.
    • Kitase talks about how they used motion capture technology when they originally made the game and how lucky they were they didn't have any accidents.
    • VIII is well known in Hollywood as he mentions the Charlie's Angel's reference and how a certain film wanted to use the Gunblade design last year (most likely Ready Player One).

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    he mentions the Charlie's Angel's reference
    Haha I saw that back in the day and was like "why are there two players". I remember Drew Barrymore falling down a hill naked, knocking on their back door, and interrupting a training room fight or something.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You're forgetting you still have to get those Hero drinks
    I got 100x Hero Drinks off the Laguna Card every time I decided to do Omega & the final dungeon. Easy.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno
    Omega follows a strict pattern, so knowing it can make him easy peasy, if you don't want to look it up, just card mod Gilgamesh or Laguna cards to get either 10 Holy Wars or 100 Hero items to make the party invincible, or simply just have Rinoa only learn the Invincible Moon ability for Angelo so the likelihood of activating it is easier and then just cheese the boss with an invincible party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I got 100x Hero Drinks off the Laguna Card every time I decided to do Omega & the final dungeon. Easy.
    He knows, about that don't worry.

But yeah dunno. Your characters so easily get obscenely overpowered in FF VII in general that as soon as you know about either's tricks (Emerald's eye phase, and Ruby's whirlsand) they're really not a challenge. And that's even without using stuff like Master Materia, Knights of the Round, Mime, infinite Megalixirs due to W-Item, 4x Cut, Demi against Emerald, Paralysis against Ruby, knowing that both of them are susceptible to Slow, the list goes on. Their biggest weaknesses are for Emerald Weapon how easily he's AI trapped, and for Ruby Weapon how little damage he deals (his only actual dangerous attack being the tentacle counter that does 97% of your current HP if you don't have a Ziedrich equipped).

Re: updates, the idea of incorporating Chocobo World items into Angelo Search is probably a very good one. Chocobo World is not the most engaging of games, and in the PC/Steam version it was broken and abusable to hell. Hilarious, but prolly not something to keep around.

Well, I've had issues getting the golden chocobo to come out even when using the right kinds of chocobos and upgrading them a lot with greens, so for me getting KoTR is much more of a challenge than anything in the omega preparation. Also, with invincibility, I don't really need to know Omega's "tricks." It's cheaper, sure, there's no denying that, but it's also way easier. Without KOTR and excluding limit break (which are less spammable in FFVII to FFVIII), I'd be doing max like under 40000 per attack with quadramagic. Since each of those guys has over a million hp (I think it's multiple millions for both isn't it) that would be slow enough that it would be easy to get killed off. Plus, you have to make sure you set up yourself with less than HP/1111 materia for Emerald, which is a pain. It's probably not too bad, but definitely more setup than modding a few cards to take on Omega. If we're getting into instant death attacks, you can also beat Omega with The End, which doesn't carry the risk of instant game over that Cait Sith's limit break does. Maybe if Aeris was available for the Emerald/Ruby fights, so I could use Grand Gospel, I'd be less inclined to view them as harder.

Chocobo World was awful. I'm glad they're getting rid of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Which you have to win off of Ellone, whom you only have one chance to do so and accidentally talking to her instead of engaging the card game moves the scenario along and you lose the card, not to mention that the Space Station uses all of the Triple Triad card rules including the well loathed Random one, and she doesn't always use the Laguna card in her first match so you might be there a while trying to win that card and for those who hate TT, well that "pathway to easy victory" is more work that its worth for some fans.

I'm not saying VIII is a major challenge, the game is ridiculously easy to break, but I do feel Omega is a bit more challenging than the Weapons are, especially since fans over the years have learned how to break those fights in half. I mean they're both susceptible to Joker Limit, Overflow Glitch, have glaring weaknesses to crap you wouldn't expects like Gravity and paralyze, and their most dangerous moves all have gimmicks to them that make it easy to by pass. I mean you can actually beat Ruby without ever taking damage just by having 20 Dazer items and then take you time to beat him up with normal attacks. You don't need end game trout to win these fights, in fact you're often better off not using them much like the superbosses from FFV.

As for getting a Gold Chocobo, it really just comes down to save scumming at the end, which is something you need to do when you have to make the Black Chocobo anyways since the gender of the Chocobo is a crap shoot concerning its parents. Chocobo Breeding is really just busy work akin to winning all those cards needed in VIII anyway. If you have patience and stick with it, the RNG will eventually favor you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

There's actually a lot more method to the madness than RNG would have you think. The one thing I vividly remember is that due to a bug you have to pick the Black Chocobo first when breeding for a Gold one, otherwise it's either impossible or your chance to get one is much lower, either way, picking the Black one first should guarantee getting a Gold one.

There's also a youtube video that uses RNG manipulation strats to get you a gold chocobo without ever racing in the Gold Saucer in less than a half hour, so at this point there's not much standing in the way of it.

I don't think Omega Weapon is hard either, just that the VII weapons are kinda overhyped. They are really so smurfing easy to beat. If you want an actual superboss challenge in Final Fantasy, FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII TZA have you covered better.

(I'm aware this is rather off-topic but I don't want to open up an entirely new thread just for this >.<)

It's all busy work, man. These are RPGs. It's not going to come down to skill. It's either the grind, the strategy, or both and I've seen both the grind and knowing the strategy being trivialized in this thread, so I can't even figure out what we're arguing about anymore. When I say Omega is easier I mean 1. You don't need to use much strategy and 2. The grind is easier/takes less time. So sure getting a gold chocobo is busy work, getting lionheart is busy work, getting some cards is busy work. I just think one is more busy work than the other. Also it's pretty easy to rig card rules by just canceling out of games repeatedly until they relent. I think you can also get any missable card from the Queen of Cards later on too, but that's a bit more of a pain because you might have to complete her quest for that. There are also ways to make Invincible Moon very likely if you don't want to go the Hero route.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The problem with the Queen of Cards trick is that she only plays the card once, so if you lose to her or end up modding that card as well, you'll never get another one.

Yeah it does come down to what is easier, personally, I find Chocobo Breeding less of a chore than building Lionheart, and you only need Lionheart like you need Knights of the Round, just to make the fight go faster. As for Laguna Card, I just never mod rare cards, even if I can potentially get another, I just don't see the point and while I feel Omega is a bit more of a challenge largely because of this, I also don't think he's that hard either. The only optional boss that was difficult in the PS1 era was Ozma, and that's largely based on the RNG which sometimes would make him even easier than the Weapons, while other times had the computer give you the middle finger as his Meteor attack always landed and killed your whole team.

To gear this all back to the topic at hand, I must say I'm kind of disappointed so far with what I'm seeing here for the remaster. While the graphic upgrade is nice, the bonus stuff doesn't appeal to me as I happen to like VIII's gameplay. So much like the VII and IX remasters we got on the PS4/Steam, I'm probably going to pass on this one for the moment unless something new arises. I can still play VIII fine on my PSP or PS3. I am happy new fans will get an easier chance to experience it though.

I mod all my rare cards at the end of the game. I'm not going to be using them again.

I've always found the Laguna Card a right pain in the arse to get because of the Random Rule taking place in Space.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Spotted an interesting rumor for this. Apparently some fans checked out the source code for the main site and discovered a section that mentioned the game may contain English and Japanese voice-overs. This would be interesting because the game was originally meant to have VA work but got scrapped during development despite many of the cutscenes obviously being set up for it.

If it is true, I just hope there's an 'off' option. I have played VIII too many times, my imagination has got very specific voices for these characters, I would be surprised if they matched up. I'd give them a chance, but I need to be able to play the old fashioned way.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If it is true, I just hope there's an 'off' option. I have played VIII too many times, my imagination has got very specific voices for these characters, I would be surprised if they matched up. I'd give them a chance, but I need to be able to play the old fashioned way.
    Yeah it's funny I have voices for them in my head too. Not to say I wouldn't welcome anything additional with this game including the voices - I love everything about this game and was super happy when they announced it at E3. Cannot wait for it!

Str8 Pimpin'