Thread: Will There Be A New Compilation?

Chocobo Will There Be A New Compilation?

So we know a few important things about the FFVII Remake. Perhaps 'Remake Saga,' might be a better way to think of it:

• Each 'Episode' is a full game, with enough content to stand alone alongside other RPGs.
    • The first of these is nearly complete, with the second only in the planning stages.

It stands to reason that it's going to be a while before we see the second part of this saga, I'd guess 18 months at a minimum. In the meantime, they have all these assets created for part 1, and a whole host of (presumably) important characters who were merely bit players in the original. Do you think Square-Enix might task a side team or two to create spin-offs that are set in the Remake universe, but smaller in scope than the main Remake titles, that can help fill in those gaps in the main series?

If so, what are some spin-offs you would expect / hope to see?

There will not be a "new" Compilation as far as it means really new. They will surely just adjust the old one to finish the Final Fantasy VII universe in this new continuity and say "that's what the COFFVII is now and how it ends".

- Sephiroth in AC was not defeated, hinting his return with his final sentence
    - Genesis returned in DoC
    - Yoshinori Kitase said in 2008 (!) "the Compilation's finale will need a different form"
    - Tetsuya Nomura said there is no sense i making HD remasters because they are currently not coherent with the story which is no wonder because of adjustments and the fact that, and that was the only real time why I thought it might only be Midgar, because as "not far" as they are now they do not need the Compilation right now as nothing in Midgar demands it
    - Yoshinori Kitase said they will incorporate Compilation stuff if they can; the least thing I think that will be included will be some cliffhanger for Advent Children (like some Black Lifestream or whatever) as it was the first real thing they made that had nothing to do with cameos or whatever

Which they already did on a small scale. But not as far as relevant story goes. Cloud has the Compilation SOLDIER emblem for example and not his old one that in CC Nero and Weiss have.

So to answer your question, if you mean by "new Compilation" just a remake of the old one through slight adjustments in the main remake or maybe even their own retellings with adjustments, sure. If you mean "fully retconned beyond recognition so nothing of Geostigma or Deepground is to be seen anywhere" then no.

But hey, I am all in for more new stuff. I am not waiting for the Remake primarily but for a Final Fantasy VII-2 that happens after DoC. For years.

If I were a betsman I'd say they "renew" the Compilation and then announce a sequel.

Making one game out of On the Way to a Smile and Advent Children would be an option. But I am also fine if OtWtaS stays the book it is. It does not need a renewal. Same for the Turks story.

Or finally bringing out Before Crisis on something that is not a Japanese mobile phone.

Of course if they actually do decide to make HD remasters and ignore the inconsistency, which is nothing new for anything fictional and then bring the sequel, I'll also be down for that.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-12-2019 at 03:35 PM.

I was thinking more along the lines of making a game focused around AVALANCHE, considering that it seems that Biggs, Wedge and Jessie will have a larger role in VIIR than they did originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of making a game focused around AVALANCHE, considering that it seems that Biggs, Wedge and Jessie will have a larger role in VIIR than they did originally.
    So like a Reverse Before Crisis. I think the first installment will have enough to do with AVALANCHE, after all they also said a while ago they will (basically what you said). Of course the past of them is a different thing as I do not expect playable AVALANCHE flashbacks in that installment.

I would be down for a Cetra VS JENOVA game for years. While Jenova does things out of instinct only and for that just uses its intelligence to trick people like a chameleon it still would make an interesting antagonist. Like Lavos in Chrono Trigger.

Of course I also would like to have installments that continues that thing:

AC
    BC
    CC
    D(o)C
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-12-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Watch they'll just work them all into this mega series and we'll have like 12 games.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm just waiting for the press conference where they show a FFVII trailer and the logo morphs into FFXVI.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Based on the financial smash hit mobile title FFXV: A New Empire ($518 million as of January this year) I would be truly shocked if they did not release a mobile title to go along with this.

Oh no.... nooooo don't say that

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Based on the financial smash hit mobile title FFXV: A New Empire ($518 million as of January this year) I would be truly shocked if they did not release a mobile title to go along with this.
    Wow, that's a lot of money. The Final Fantasy VII REMAKE Saga is going to need a ton of funding, and if people are willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a mobile FFVII game to help fund the project that I'm willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on then I say SE should do it 😁
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of money. The Final Fantasy VII REMAKE Saga is going to need a ton of funding, and if people are willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a mobile FFVII game to help fund the project that I'm willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on then I say SE should do it 😁
    I have Final Fantasy VII 9x. I am pretty confident I can support this whole project all by myself.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy VII G-Bike HD Remaster

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel part of it will come down to fan demand and reception of Episode 1. Like I can see a mobile spin-off that will come out before the game's release, either something related to the Gold Saucer that can possibly be cross over to the main game when the time comes. What I can totally see them doing once this whole thing gets under way is releasing DLC style "episodes" starring each of the playable cast that will usually take place before the game's events. Barret and Tifa's stories would be about them getting to Midgard, Aerith's could be about her teen years being pursued by Tseng and the Turks, Red XIII's could be about his boyhood years up to him getting captured, Yuffie's is about her choosing to run away from home to start her thieving years,Caith Sith would be about Reeve testing out the tech and getting the orders to be a spy, Cid's would be about helping to build Rocket Town and end with the Rocket fiasco, and Vincent's could either be about his days as a Turk or do a funny story where kids wander into the Shin-Ra mansion and wake him up to play hide and seek or something. If these do well enough, they may add a Cloud chapter about his days as a lowly infantry soldier and how he met Zack, a story about Sephiroth and the birth of SOLDIER, and maybe a story about the Turks that shows you everything they were doing during the events of VII when they were off screen or not on vacation.

I can definitely see them doing a collection of the original Compilation similar to the Kingdom Hearts ones. So HD remasters of Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus, a "movie" version of Before Crisis, and then possibly Advent Children Complete and some of the other elements as part of it. Nomura has said he would be interested in doing something with the Compilation before the remake landed so possibly, but I also imagine they would have announced it by now, so maybe no.

For what I would like to see if they decided to expand anything? Probably nothing since they did such an awful job the first time. If I had to say anything, I wouldn't mind seeing an animated short a la Last Order style about Jenova arriving on the Planet and facing the Cetra. Maybe use a framing device of Ifalna telling Aerith or Professor Gast. My other desire would probably be telling a scaled back version of Crisis Core or preferably a scaled up version of Last Order that drops Genesis from the picture and simply have it focus on Zack running away home to join SOLDIER and moving up the ranks before Nibelheim, and then talking about his adventures with dragging a catatonic Cloud halfway across the world. Again, I feel a short film would be a better medium than trying to make it into a game cause that's when you have to add in silly elements to make it feel "epic" when that's not what anyone wanted or was expecting.

Not if there's any justice in this world. Not every story needs to have a sequel/prequel, and in FF's case every direct sequel/prequel has been nothing more than terrible cashgrab fanwank that has always detracted from the original story. If Square Enix truly had any artistic integrity they would learn to leave well enough alone.