Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FF7R features a completely new voice cast from past releases

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default FF7R features a completely new voice cast from past releases

I called it from the first trailer reveal this year. Yes, I want a cookie.

https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-7...-voice-actors/

Aerith – Briana White (Occupants)
    Barret – John Eric Bentley (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen)
    Biggs – Gideon Emery (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)
    Cloud – Cody Christian (Teen Wolf)
    Jessie – Erica Lindbeck (Persona 5)
    Sephiroth – Tyler Hoechlin (Superman in CW's Supergirl)
    Tifa – Britt Baron (GLOW)
    Wedge – Matt Jones (Breaking Bad)
    Briana White, Aerith's new voice actor, posted a quick video to her twitter timeline expressing how happy she was to step into the role and gave a nod to the actresses that came before her.

https://twitter.com/ItsBrianaWhite/s...98948320284672

Anyway, what do y'all think? Pour one out for your boy Steve Burton who's been voicing Cloud since 2002.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Genuinely surprised. I'm not a fan of Barret's voice in the trailer. Cloud's is good. Tifa and Aeris are good. Sephiroth, Jessie, Wedge, Biggs all good. That's all I can really go off so far.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

They've obviously decided if they're gonna do this remake thing, they're gonna spend every yen they can on it. Slightly sad for the previous cast that I thought were good: Steve Burton, Andrea Bowen, Rachel Leigh Cook, but it was very hit and miss previously. So far the only one I'm so-so on from the new cast is Barret, but I don't think I've ever heard a voiced version of Barret that I particularly liked. Even his voice seems fine, and generally I'd say everyone else is a solid hit from what we've seen.

Tifa is by far my favourite so far though. Britt Baron isn't just reading her lines in the bar scene she is acting the hell out of it. Very pleased with her.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If this means I can finally have a Cid that doesn't sound like an stereotyped drunken southern hick, I'll be pleased. I feel Aerith is the one who has always gotten it the worse in the series.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I'm so glad that Tifa isn't voiced by her AC VA. She sounded so emotionless in that.

DILLY DALLY SHILLY SHALLY.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

George Newbern said if Square Enix decides to approach him, he'll be there.

Oh well. Japanese voice over it is then. Steve Burton, George Newbern and Andrea Bowen were the only three that justified listening to the English voice over for me anyway. And I won't even start with the German one where Sephiroth has the same voice actor as Jason Mewes from Jay and Silent Bob.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-13-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Yo, give the newbies a chance, huh?

Also

aeris_aerith.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

Also

aeris_aerith.PNG
    Sephiroth has a very specific voice that is even explained in the Ultimania. I cannot give anybody a chance more than I did for the trailers. Cloud and Aerith do not sound bad to me but I that is not enough. But it is fine. I mean, I need to know the Japanese text anyway and love Morikawa-san. Maybe after that I will go for the English voice over to "have heard it once".
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-13-2019 at 04:26 PM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Also

aeris_aerith.PNG
    Sephiroth has a very specific voice that is even explained in the Ultimania.
    The Ultimania also claims that Regent Cid is in his mid-30s, doesn't mean I have to believe it
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post

Also

aeris_aerith.PNG
    The Ultimania also claims that Regent Cid is in his mid-30s, doesn't mean I have to believe it
    It doesn't help me what consumers believe how the characters are built. Only what authoritative instances say unless they rewrite it helps me. I don't choose to accept their words only when I like to. And most of the Ultimanias are consistent in what they say when it comes to insight in their respective games. Only a few things are wonky. Morikawa-san was specifically chosen by them for what Sephiroth's voice should be like so it absolutely matters. And as far as that goes George Newbern did a solid job expressing the same feeling which was the point of my post. He does not have the exact same depth and darkness in his voice but still gets that his own way as well as the inhuman and majestic part that is explained. The new one sounds evil but a bit "too ordinary". Not like a "superior entity". Maybe he still matches that later.

Heartbreaking.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-13-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Honestly I thought Newbern's Sephiorth was pretty mediocre. I'm interested to hear what the new guy can do, though I suspect he won't have a huge role in the first game (unless they role Cloud's Past into Midgar. There's no particular reason it needs to be in Kalm).

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post

Also

aeris_aerith.PNG
    It doesn't help me what consumers believe how the characters are built. Only what authoritative instances say unless they rewrite it helps me. I don't choose to accept their words only when I like to. And most of the Ultimanias are consistent in what they say when it comes to insight in their respective games. Only a few things are wonky. Morikawa-san was specifically chosen by them for what Sephiroth's voice should be like so it absolutely matters. And as far as that goes George Newbern did a solid job expressing the same feeling which was the point of my post. He does not have the exact same depth and darkness in his voice but still gets that his own way as well as the inhuman and majestic part that is explained. The new one sounds evil but a bit "too ordinary". Not like a "superior entity". Maybe he still matches that later.

Heartbreaking.
    I disagree with your assessment of too ordinary. I feel that's your personal opinion as I thought it fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post

I disagree with your assessment of too ordinary. I feel that's your personal opinion as I thought it fit.
    When I say "too ordinary" I mean "too human". Sephiroth is not supposed to just sound just like an "evil human, period" and as said, I am basing that off the thought that Square put into with voice and speech he was supposed to have and why Morikawa sounded as he did and said what he said. Sephiroth was supposed to sound majestic and "beyond human" as planned by Nojima-san.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-13-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Do you think that maybe they have a proper idea and vision with their current cast as well? I mean, they are still the authoritative ultimate figure making these casting call decisions.