Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I kinda hope IX never gets a remake

After seeing the ending to FF7R, i'm glad this game has a slim to none chance of being ever being remade.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ther View Post
    After seeing the ending to FF7R, i'm glad this game has a slim to none chance of being ever being remade.
    Same here. I can trust SE remaking the retro ones, FFI- FFV, but anything above that, they have lost my trust.

edit: just realized that FFVI- FFX problery count as retro now, ooofs.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. For some reason FFIX has never received the same sort of attention as VII from SE. VII got all those spinoffs, it's characters constantly shoehorned into other games, a PC port, etc. FFIX existed for sixteen years before it got ported to any other platforms and outside of the Dissidia games its characters/world elements have never really reappeared anywhere.

That, and at the rate things are going there's not really any Final Fantasy development happening in the foreseeable future that isn't FFVIIR, FFXIV, or mobile FF stuff. Although I suppose SE has enough resources these days to go the Ubisoft/EA route and higher obscenely large teams of people to churn out multiple huge projects at once if they really wanted to.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't think it's something we'll ever see considering it's not among the most popular games. The only other two games in the series I see getting remade are X and the first.

Yeah I don't think it really needs a remake.

FF9 was supposed to be about celebrating the classic style of JRPGs. I think trying to update it for modern sensibilities would ruin that. It's also aged better than any of the older games. Especially if you play the cellphone/PC/Switch version with the updated character models, it still looks great.

Literally all they need to do for this game is somehow remake the prerendered backgrounds in HD. Maybe using some of those AI upscaling algorithms, which can produce good results, but are a bit inconsistent.

Last edited by OglopMayor; 05-30-2020 at 09:49 PM.

I think it's okay for games to get remade, but in the case of many of them (including Final Fantasy IX), there has to be an understanding from fans and people buying it that it's nearly impossible to recapture what makes the original special. So much of why Final Fantasy IX is so important to me also has to do with what was going on in my life at the time, who I was playing it with, how it influenced events in my life, and lots of other personal nostalgic reasons. Even a perfect remake can't recapture any of that. That's why remakes, I think, are so difficult when it comes to reception from the mass market, even when they're done well.

I'm replaying this now (currently wasting hours trying to get Madain's Ring in Fossil Roo) and I don't think this needs a remake- at least yet.

It still looks perfectly fine, the art style hasn't aged as badly as VII or VIII to me.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

You know I'd actually like a FFIX remake developed by Mistwalker, using Lost Odyssey's gameplay. I'm sure Sakaguchi would be keen to remake his favourite game in the series. I'm not holding my breath on that ever happening though.

SE may be gearing up to milk IX as a brand, with both merchandise and an animated series in the works, considering the original devs expressed last year that they would like to may a follow-up or remake to this game, the chance of a IX remake happening with the next decade may have just shot up.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

- Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I really don't believe the remake is going to happen.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There is a FFIX remake and it's called Moguri Mod and it's perfect.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Moguri Mod is a HD remaster not a remake. A remake is like FFIII DS and VII Remake where they remade all the assets from scratch and changing parts of the gameplay.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know, I was just being facetious.