Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I kinda hope IX never gets a remake

Boco I kinda hope IX never gets a remake

I love FFIX and as much as i want to see it remade for modern systems like FF7R, but i just don't trust modern day SE to do it justice, especially since the people helming the project would likely be ether Kitase or Nomura, both of whom had little-to-no involvement with the original FFIX.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wouldn't worry about Kitase and Nomura working on a remake for this game, as you said neither had much involvement and my understanding is that SE tends to bring in as many original staff members as they can on these types of projects. Kitase would probably still be involved, but mostly as an executive producer who made sure the team was reaching their milestones in production as opposed to creative input. Nomura has his hands full (as always) with three high profile titles at the moment, so I doubt they would bother with him and considering he doesn't feel comfortable working on games he didn't originally work on, he would likely turn down an offer to work on it anyway.

Hiroyuki Ito the director of the game still works at SE, but considering he stayed in a producer role for the Zodiac Age version of XII, I imagine directing/producer role would either got to Kouichiro Sakamoto who worked on the mobile/steam version, or more likely it would fall to Hideo Minaba the Art Director for the game originally who is also one of the developers who is most vocal within SE about doing a remake/sequel for the title.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFIX was a fantastic game but not nearly as iconic or popular as FFVII (especially in SE's mind) so it's a safe bet they won't try to remake it any time soon.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I also don't think IX or VIII are anything like as well suited for a remake. First of all the leap in visual fidelity from VII to VIII was huge, so while remakes of anything after VII would still of course be a huge improvement, it wouldn't have the same kind of stunning impact tat VIIR has. IX is severely lacking in iconic locations and cool set pieces compared to VII, and overall has a much slower pace. IX already has deeper character interactions and a much better translation than VII.

And finally, mods are already making vast improvements to the remastered version of IX that are really able to bring out the beauty of the original art style. They're even upscaling the FMV sequences to 1080p, 30fps.

So it's not that "I hope IX never gets a remake." If they did one and put the kind of effort into it that they are into VII, I'd be interested as hell. But I don't think it needs one. It still stands up on its own today.

I think only the remaster we got recently is fine. FFIX has such a particularly esthetic, and I'm not sure a remake could keep that, so it would ferel weird.

I'd much rather have a IX remake than VIII. I'd possibly even prefer IX over VII.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Even if they DID remake Final Fantasy IX it wouldn't be at least till 2050 so I wouldn't worry about it.

No other FF is ever going to get remade with the same level of devotion as this FF7 remake. This is it. This is their response to decades of fans clamoring for an FFVII remake that they kept putting off because they only wanted to do it if they felt they could do it right. Those set of circumstances are never going to repeat quite the same. Any remakes they do of other games will be more direct upgrades of the originals because they're not going to put this much energy into another remake.

TL;DR: Don't worry about it.

*Unless FFVIIR makes truly insane $$$$. Then maybe they'd look to VI, VIII and IX.

And IX would be far and away at the bottom of that list IMO

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unless they hired Sakaguchi to help work on it for PR. That alone and the possible speculation would probably generate interest and it is his favorite entry.

I'm sure most of the FFs will get some good quality remakes, but as others have said, I doubt the money and effort put into VIIR would ever be given to the other entries. The only exception would possibly be FFX since that game is huge in Japan and consistently fights VII for the top spot in fan polls.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    *Unless FFVIIR makes truly insane $$$$. Then maybe they'd look to VI, VIII and IX.

And IX would be far and away at the bottom of that list IMO
    Honestly this is what I see happening more. Not VIII or IX or anything else above but theyll remake the ones below. Theyd have so much more wiggle room. With VII, I feel it was the last one that was still kind of loose in story/translation. After its success, they tightened a lot for the following games. So a remake fits more cause they CAN change it without it being huge dramatic changes.

A fully done remake of like VI or IV would be dope

FFIV Part I: Baron in 2030.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    FFIV Part I: Baron in 2030.

"We have lengthened out Baron to 2 full Blu Ray Discs !"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

FFIX Remake - it'll never happen. If ever it did then oh gosh, I'd be all over it. What I'd like to see is a much darker game. Don't get me wrong, I love the charm of the original, but a more realistic approach with the main cast of characters based on Amano's artwork featured on the PS1 discs would be great.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

I think it's fine the way it is, to be honest.
    This signature reeks of Moogle.