Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Hours In

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Default 5 Hours In

I've just started replaying Final Fantasy VII and Midgar lasted for 5 hours.

I'm in awe that the first part of the Remake will spread across two Blu-Ray discs. That's insane.

The question is, who can predict where we'll be 5 hours in to the Remake, and how that scene will play out?

I'm thinking it'll be around the part when Aerith & Cloud are talking in the park, before Tifa gets taken to Don Corneos.

Aerith: "You've got the sames eyes"

Cloud: "Hmm?"

Aerith: "MAKO eyes. My first boyfriend was in SOLDIER. 1st Class, like you"

Cloud: "Oh, what was his name? We could have worked together?"

*NOTE*

Now I'm hoping that Aerith won't just brush off her relationship with Zack as "not being serious". I still don't want her to reveal Zach because that will just send Cloud crazy too early in the game! So this is based on Aerith revealing just enough to give her and Cloud a connection.

*END NOTE*

Aerith: "I'm sorry, I shouldn't - I don't want to talk about him. It was a long time ago. I've been trying to move on but meeting you today - seeing those eyes - it just bought it all back. It's like..."

*The doors to Sector 7 open*

Aerith: "...wait, what's that?"

Cloud: "Tifa?!

Aerith: "That's Tifa? This is bad, Cloud. They're taking her to the Don's"

Cloud: "The Don's?"

Aerith: "I'll explain on the way. Hurry, Cloud! Tifa's in danger"

Cloud: *runs after Aerith*
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can see the five hour mark in the remake being the attack on the second reactor. I have feeling we're going to get a lot more dialogue and optional scenes. In fact, I feel the new bike sequence with Jessie will probably take place around this point.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've said before that I think it's possible we'll be able to explore the other sectors, and that they'll all be fleshed out (and the ones that exist will be greatly expanded on).

The game (from what I know) isn't meant to be 1:1, so it's also very likely we'll have other missions with Avalanche before being caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I've said before that I think it's possible we'll be able to explore the other sectors, and that they'll all be fleshed out (and the ones that exist will be greatly expanded on).
    Not to be "that guy" but the funny thing here is that players actually visit almost every sector in VII in the original with the exceptions of Sector 2 and 3. Granted, some sectors are criminally short and the more obvious issue of never visiting both sides of a sector which is where I feel most fans mean when they say "explore the rest of the sector". I men the opening of the game is in Top Sector 1, the party escapes into Top Sector 8, AVALANCHE is based in Low Sector 7, the party takes the underground passage through Sector 4 to reach the No. 5 Reactor, Aerith and the Sephiroth Clone guy live in Sector 5, and Sector 6 is where Don Corneo and Wall Market are located. Sector 0 is the Shin-Ra HQ. So while Midgar may seem huge, we actually do visit almost half of the city in the original, and more likely visited all of the relevant places anyway.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I wonder how seriously they considered opening the game with something other than the attack on Reactor No. 1. It kind of boggles the mind that they're trying to expand everything so much, but I am interested to see what they think was missing from the original in order to provide a more comprehensive experience. I do think the requirement for two Blu-Ray discs suggests an abundance of cut scenes, but who knows.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Not to be "that guy" but the funny thing here is that players actually visit almost every sector in VII in the original with the exceptions of Sector 2 and 3. Granted, some sectors are criminally short and the more obvious issue of never visiting both sides of a sector which is where I feel most fans mean when they say "explore the rest of the sector". I men the opening of the game is in Top Sector 1, the party escapes into Top Sector 8, AVALANCHE is based in Low Sector 7, the party takes the underground passage through Sector 4 to reach the No. 5 Reactor, Aerith and the Sephiroth Clone guy live in Sector 5, and Sector 6 is where Don Corneo and Wall Market are located. Sector 0 is the Shin-Ra HQ. So while Midgar may seem huge, we actually do visit almost half of the city in the original, and more likely visited all of the relevant places anyway.
    I mean, I suspect (and always have) that we only see tiny portions of each sector we have seen, not the whole deal. It was supposed to house how many people? The game was severely limited by technology back then. I think it's entirely possible we'll see about 5-10 times more of Midgar than we did in the original game. Hell, if you were to compare to the "real vision" of Midgar, I think what we'll see in the remake is still only going to be about 5-10% of the actual city when you're considering the population the place is supposed to hold (I'm assuming that Advent Children is a good representation of what the city size actually was).

Just going off the top of my head here, mind you, haven't done any real research. Maybe I'm misremembering some things.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I wonder how seriously they considered opening the game with something other than the attack on Reactor No. 1. It kind of boggles the mind that they're trying to expand everything so much, but I am interested to see what they think was missing from the original in order to provide a more comprehensive experience. I do think the requirement for two Blu-Ray discs suggests an abundance of cut scenes, but who knows.
    I don't think it would have even crossed their mind to open the game in any other way, although an alternate opening would have been interesting.

I'd like to know more about the history of Midgar. There's an NPC who says that each Sector used to have a name, but people forgot. I mean, really? I'm sure someone remembers.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I mean, I suspect (and always have) that we only see tiny portions of each sector we have seen, not the whole deal. It was supposed to house how many people? The game was severely limited by technology back then. I think it's entirely possible we'll see about 5-10 times more of Midgar than we did in the original game. Hell, if you were to compare to the "real vision" of Midgar, I think what we'll see in the remake is still only going to be about 5-10% of the actual city when you're considering the population the place is supposed to hold (I'm assuming that Advent Children is a good representation of what the city size actually was).

Just going off the top of my head here, mind you, haven't done any real research. Maybe I'm misremembering some things.
    I agree with this.

Seems people often forget that there's an entire city on top of the plate. We barely see it because we're mostly underneath, in the slums. I can really only think of the area where you first meet Aeris, before jumping on the train, and maybe two or three screens when you return to midgar by parachute later on.

I would love to see more of Midgar, especially the areas on top of the plate.

I want a new music track called "On Top Of The Actually Rather Nice Pizza"

Aeris lives in sector 6, not sector 5. Although the church might be in sector 5. Regardless, most of the sectors are visited in name only. Just visiting the reactor or a subway tunnel for a sector is not really getting to see that sector. The only ones you see a substantial amount of are 5-7 and arguably only 6 and 7.

Presumably, there's slums for each sector, because they mention that they used to be their own towns. I suppose some might be gone, but assuming there are and the church doesn't count as sector 5 slums, there's 6 sets of slums we don't see and at least that many areas of the city on the plate that we also don't see.

Also. If you want to get completely technical about and counting subway tunnels, I think you actually go through all the sectors on the return to Midgar. It's been awhile, so I could be wrong, but you can check location on the status screen for each new screen you enter and I think ypu end up going through all the sectors. But tunnels and such don't count for much.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 06-22-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually Aerith's house is in Sector 5, you have to access it through the Sector 5 Slums which just also happens to be the road needed to get to Sector 6.

Now I do get that what we're going to see with the remake is a larger expansion of these areas, I was simply pointing out that technically players have seen almost half of Midgar proper anyway in the original. As for seeing the top side, I feel that really comes down to a question of why? Obviously players are curious and wish to see it, but plot-wise, it makes more sense that AVALANCHE would steer clear of the top side of Midgar since it's got heavier control by Shin-Ra. Resistance movements usually don't like to stay in plain sight. Judging by what we see of Sector 1, it's likely a n industrial manufacturing zone. Sector 8 is an entertainment district, and Sector 7 looked like a housing district, which I imagine a lot of places above are, since I imagine the commerce section would be in Sector 0 with Shin-Ra hq. So I don't really imagine anything above ground would be important or interesting enough to really explore unless they become sidequest hell zones.

If you want an educated idea of what the top part is like, it's probably best to look into the original concept for Walt Disney's EPCOT project as it apparently served as part of the inspiration for Midgar. Especially noticeable as the whole concept was basically a studio town where everyone worked for Disney that lived in the city which is what Midgar is ultimately.

Now I'm going to have to play it again, because I can see everyone online calling it the sector 5 slums but I could have sworn it was identified in game as the sector 6 slums.

What if they let us play as Reeve in the upper city? I doubt it, but it's just a thought on how they might incorporate more of the city.

One thing they could definitely add is the ability to go see Loveless instead of just having Cid talk about it near the end of the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

So I don't really imagine anything above ground would be important or interesting enough to really explore unless they become sidequest hell zones.
    If it's "add-in" missions for Avalanche that offer lore and/or character development then I am all for it. I love learning more about the world of my favourite game of all time! I still think we haven't seen "seen almost half of Midgar proper anyway in the original" though, for the reasons presented in my earlier post. It's like saying you've seen half of the UK because you visited Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh and London. When I saw Advent Children and played Crisis Core I felt like the city was so much bigger and still had loads of potential for a much larger area to explore.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Now I'm going to have to play it again, because I can see everyone online calling it the sector 5 slums but I could have sworn it was identified in game as the sector 6 slums.

What if they let us play as Reeve in the upper city? I doubt it, but it's just a thought on how they might incorporate more of the city.

One thing they could definitely add is the ability to go see Loveless instead of just having Cid talk about it near the end of the game.
    To be honest, I actually thought you were right until I checked again and saw that. I think the confusion may come from Aerith mentioning her house is on the way to the Sector 6 slums.

The Reeve idea might be interesting though. As for Loveless... I feel Genesis pretty much killed my interest in exploring that bit of lore, especially since the title was simply the staff referencing an album by My Bloody Valentine. I actually prefer it just being an easter egg that acknowledging the lore cancer Crisis Core turned it into.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    If it's "add-in" missions for Avalanche that offer lore and/or character development then I am all for it. I love learning more about the world of my favourite game of all time! I still think we haven't seen "seen almost half of Midgar proper anyway in the original" though, for the reasons presented in my earlier post. It's like saying you've seen half of the UK because you visited Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh and London. When I saw Advent Children and played Crisis Core I felt like the city was so much bigger and still had loads of potential for a much larger area to explore.
    My issue is really more about relevance. I mean if Top Side Sector 5 turns into a place where I have dozens of NPCs with exclamations over their heads to ask me to go retrieve trout for them from the slums, then I feel we're better off not seeing that. It really depends on how they try to expand the story and setting because we have a clashing issue of Midgar being filled with interesting lore implications, but we're also trying to expand one of the most tightly designed narrative points in the whole game that really never left much room for expansion. I keep worrying that every time something new comes up in the plot, I'm going to feel like it's just the developers padding out the game instead of feeling like something that needed to be said. I already got that vibe from the Jessie motorcycle chase sequence which I keep trying to think of where such a moment would actually take place, and whether it was a good idea to take one of the most iconic moments from Midgar and just have you do it a few more times instead of just making that one moment better.

Ultimately, from a narrative standpoint, I agree with you. From an exploration standpoint, I think there's plenty of room to further develop Midgar, but in terms of narrative I don't see much call for it. You have the opening bombing mission to establish the setting and then you have a mission where things go awry in a way that flows into a chain of events leading to the escape from Midgar and pursuit of Sephiroth. You don't really need more than that to tell the story right.