Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size city do you most prefer to live in?

Question What size city do you most prefer to live in?

I will soon move from a relatively smallish city (pop. 95k) to a far bigger one (pop. 580k), which led me to spend some time lately pondering the pros and cons of cities of different sizes.

So, I was wondering, what size city do you live in? What do you like about it, what do you wish was better? Is there anything that bugs you about it? Is there anything you couldn't live without? What size city would you like to live in the most, and why?

I grew up in a really small northern town until I moved when I was about 12-13. On the one hand, if you're in a very small town your privacy is less and there's not as much to do. On the other hand, if you're near nature and there's less pollution the air quality is way better and you can really enjoy it with much less people around. Also growing up in that environment you're a lot more sheltered from the world (was especially true in the pre-internet days) but you also don't have as much perspective on what an actual city is like, and in some cases don't get a sense of the higher competition in a work/education environment in a city.

Living in a city I tend to dislike more, even if I'm nearer a green space in the suburbs. The plus side is a lot more services are available and more diversity in terms of people to meet/education etc.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I love my city of Columbus, OH. IT's growing, it's thriving. It's still affordable. I own my own space in downtown, and there's a ton of opportunity in the tech sector popping up.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

My city is like 300k people. Has a small town feel but it's a city large enough to have all of the amenities a city has to offer. Public transportation, entertainment, multiple options for any sort of business you might need to utilize, such as a grocery store. You could name any street and if I haven't heard of it I can probably still guess what neighborhood it's in. Perfect!

I'm a country boy at heart, so it's got to be a small city for me. I like to visit big cities, but I could never see myself living in one.

city i live in has a couple-three ethnic supermarkets, and i love to cook, so thats really useful for me. my hometown just did not have the demographic for anything more than a couple Big Three supermarkets with not much choice of food ingredients.

i dont drive so being in a city generally gives me more freedom (more "stuff" in walking distance, more public transport)

rent is high and i miss nature though. however some good nature not too far to travel.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

At least 100 times the size of Tifa’s boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    I grew up in a really small northern town until I moved when I was about 12-13. On the one hand, if you're in a very small town your privacy is less and there's not as much to do. On the other hand, if you're near nature and there's less pollution the air quality is way better and you can really enjoy it with much less people around. Also growing up in that environment you're a lot more sheltered from the world (was especially true in the pre-internet days) but you also don't have as much perspective on what an actual city is like, and in some cases don't get a sense of the higher competition in a work/education environment in a city.

Living in a city I tend to dislike more, even if I'm nearer a green space in the suburbs. The plus side is a lot more services are available and more diversity in terms of people to meet/education etc.
    I believe that it would be awesome to live neither in a metropolis like NY nor in a small town with some 5k of population. It is sensible to move to something of medium size. Before the lockdown I had a great oppurtunity to visit Murcia, a city in Spain. I was amazed by its climate conditions, architecture and friendly people. So my dream town is Murcia or something similar

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

My city is just over 300k, but I live in a historic neighborhood a couple of blocks from downtown. I've never not lived in a city so I'm not sure if I'd be into it, but I do tend to enjoy riding my bike around from place to place.

Population: Me..... but with well stocked and accessible grocery store(s).

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'd prefer a nice suburb, maybe 40K to 80K people, just enough to get lost in.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I lived in a city of 90k for many years and I promise that is not large enough to get lost

I'm a big city kid through and through. You can't match the energy of a Los Angeles or a San Francisco so easily (and even Fresno metro has cleared 600K by this point)

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've lived in NYC. When I went remote for teaching went back to the suburbs. The city proper has over 8 million people in it. Combined with the outlying areas, 18 million, which is more than some countries members here live in.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I lived in a city of 90k for many years and I promise that is not large enough to get lost
    Agreed. Riverside is like 300k and it's not big enough to get lost in.