View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the Premier League this time?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manchester City

1 20.00%
  • Liverpool

2 40.00%
  • Chelsea

0 0%
  • Tottenham

0 0%
  • Arsenal

0 0%
  • Manchester United

1 20.00%
  • Other

1 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 English Football Season Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default 2019-20 English Football Season Thread

Guess this is happening, might as well start a thread about it. Poll closes before the first match so let's see how we get on with relatively blind predictions!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Top news already churning through about Manchester United. Thanks to the BBC football front page for letting us know this vital and dramatic news!

Screenshot_20190712-124247.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man Utd were teetering on greatness last season and certainly gave the top two a run for their money. I thought with the quality of our squad, we were a couple of world-class signings away from a period of domination. Now we've signed Obi-Wan Bissaka and a winger from the Championship... I think this is gonna be our year.

Utd to win the league.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think if Utd are a named option, you might as well list Everton as well.

I have to say, I really enjoyed last year's title race and I think this year will be hard pushed to beat it. I think Liverpool might edge it this season, and I promise I'm not trying to jinx it. (maybe a little)

For Everton, I'd take top 7. Last season was a bit disappointing as we hit some really decent form in the end, but weren't consistent throughout the season. I'm hoping a lack of European football will put us in good stead. We're in dire need of reinforcements up top, where we never replaced Lukaku. I'll be happy with a decent striker, a solid centre back (signing Zouma is probably unlikely with Chelsea's transfer ban), and keeping Gueye. Really pleased we signed Gomes.

Oh, and some progress on the new stadium would be good too.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Wolves year

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Can't see past Manchester City domination again. I think Liverpool will struggle to replicate last season and instead might find themselves in a closer battle with Spurs. As for the other three members of the big 6, who even knows? I'm sure one of them will do surprisingly well, one of them will do okay and the other will be pure comedy. Couldn't tell you which team will perform which role though.

I think this is the year City go all in for the Champions League since I have heard that there is a good chance of a looming financial sanction and Champions League ban coming to City in possibly 2021 that might spell Pep leaving for safer pastures beyond. As such, will their focus drift just a tad from the EPL? Hard to say but it's my hope that any sort of drop off will be to Liverpool's benefit. It would be very impressible and improbable to have two teams end the season just short of 100 points again but nothing would surprise me at this rate.

Beyond that, Spurs look like they're finally spending again though if they end up losing some of their top players late in the window they might be scrambling and beyond that, the rest of the Top 6 look a shambles. Who will stay and go for United? Until that gets sorted and the roster is solidified, it's darn near impossible to predict where they end up. Same with Arsenal. Chelsea seem to be locked into the roster they have because of their own ban and losing Hazard is a big void, though Pulisic is an excellent player and I'm excited to see what he can do on a weekly basis.

Hard to believe next season is already around the corner. I'm looking forward to seeing Liverpool tonight in NYC and then before you know it, we'll be back again.

Take care all.

Articles

My hot take on Pulisic is that he's overrated because of his nationality and will struggle to live up to the hype in the Premier League. Time will tell but I think he's more, say, Everton quality than top 6 quality. Think Zaha, Walcott or Deulofeu.

Overrated where? I mean sure, yes, he's overrated on /r/soccer. He's very good, though, better than plenty of players on top 6 teams. If you mean can he be leader/driver of those teams, no, I doubt it, but he could certainly contribute to them positively.

He's also young so maybe he'll get better. Or maybe he won't.

He is, at the very least, better than any other American player by an inconceivably large amount. But that's because the US player pool is somehow worse than an average MLS team and MLS ain't good.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

So Bale is apparently heading into a million-per-week contract in China. He was already amongst the top five or so in the world (possibly top 2-3) in pay on 600k per week. Anyone calling him a mercenary for moving for that kind of money is probably a hypocrite because most people in their right mind would jump at that kind of wage. It's crazy money.

Articles

To be fair to Pulisic, I was looking up his stats and he's a lot younger than I thought he was. It's harsh to write off a player aged 20 so I take back my comments. We'll see what happens.

With Bale, well, he is a mercenary And don't get me wrong, many other footballers are too. But if I was in his position with his talent, no, I probably wouldn't do that. I'd stay in a top European league where I could still make obscene amounts of money - less money than China, yes - where I could continue to challenge and test myself against the best in the world. Helping a fallen giant like United or Milan reclaim their throne, or maybe a romantic return home to Spurs to help with the final push to greatness. I'm still going to retire a multi millionaire!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I honestly doubt he'd make 400k at another club in Europe. Maybe if he came cheap, but it sounds like every club in Europe wasn't interested in Bale. Too many injuries, too late in his career, too high risk for wages even close to his.

Table Predictions!

Liverpool
    City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    United
    Leicester
    Everton
    Wolves
    Bournemouth
    West Ham
    Southampton
    Watford
    Aston Villa
    Burnley
    Crystal Palace
    Sheffield Utd
    Brighton
    Newcastle
    Norwich

EFL Cup: Man City
    FA Cup: Spurs

Champions League: Juventus

Take care all. Let's get to work again.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Is there an EoFF fantasy league still going? I'm doing a work fantasy team for the first time in about three years, but I'm very happy to prop up an EoFF league as well.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Usually Rocket Edge starts it up but I don't think there is one yet - feel free to start it up!

Very happy with today's game. Chelsea looked the better side in the first half, but once we were in the lead we seemed a lot more in control, with deeper play and a more penetrating counter attack. Glad to see James get a goal on his debut, you could see how much it meant to him!