Thread: Fan Made Chrono Break Trailer

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool Fan Made Chrono Break Trailer

Found this awhile back, but an article brought it back to my attention and hot damn if this doesn't look awesome. So I decided to share:

So would you play a sequel to the Chrono series? What would you want from it?

Articles
    Blog Entries

That is a really cool trailer. And it's about characters I'm actually familiar with. As a newbie to the series there's not much I'm invested in regarding any overarching plotline, so I'll say that, more than anything, I'd want Chrono Break to capture that sense of adventure as you travel times you have no idea what to expect of, meet all sorts of different wacky characters and perform all sorts of crazy feats using your time travel abilities. Whether it relates to Chrono Trigger or Lavos or anything is honestly entirely secondary to that, for me at least.

There's definitely not going to be a Chrono Break, given that one of the creators said they reworked what would have been the plot for that game into another game (I forget what). The trailer is cool, but I honestly find it to Chrono Trigger fan-servicey. I'd prefer a new game in the series to not be fully resting on nostalgia, by mimicing the original as much as possible. Rather, I'd like it to be made with modern visuals like CC was and its own cast of characters. Not saying there couldn't be cameos/roles for CT characters, or even a party member slot for one of them, but I'd like it to be enough of its own thing rather than a fan fiction type game.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The funny thing is that most of the creators have all made their own "spiritual successors" in some ways. Sakaguchi said Blue Dragon was his attempt at making a spiritual sequel to Chrono, Tokita said that some of the plot details for Chrono Break were used for Final Fantasy Dimensions II, and most fans have figured that Another Eden is Kato and Mitsuda's spiritual sequel. Hori never wanted a sequel.

I do agree that I would prefer a sequel along the same line as CC where it doesn't feel like a sequel and can stand on it's own with an original cast and plot with callbacks to the old game, but I still would love to see an official attempt be made, especially if SE ocould get a few people back to work on it.