Thread: Looking at starting again

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Default Looking at starting again

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

(sorry I submit the thread by mistake)
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Jesus I am having no luck with this.

Basically I want to start the game again. I only ever played the base game. I started off as a Marauder and became a Dragoon but it was clear to me that I made the wrong choice.

Why?

Because dungeons.

Being new to the MMORPG genre I didn't know about basic game mechanics. For example, enmity was a major part of my characters duty in battle. I didn't even know what that meant, and it lead to me looking stupid and actually getting abuse in the chat box for ruining everything. That's not fun to me.

The free trial gives me a chance to go back, for free, and find a playstyle that suits me. Before I never took the time to try anything other than Marauder > Lancer > Dragoon.

HELP ME!

Also any other tips for a new starter would be great.
    Last edited by fat_moogle; 07-23-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Well Enmity for one is almost a non-factor anymore. Every tank gets tank stance at level 10, and every attack under tank stance generates enmity, so its practically impossible to not have aggro, Which means its practically impossible to take aggro with a Non-tank class.
    I know this is late since in discord you mentioned how your rolling Black mage ( good choice for dungeons btw, their aoe is amazing. please use aoe lol) If BLM turns out to be not fun you can roll any job you want on the same character. without expansions there is 10 i believe? though i think you have all the expansions so theres 17. 2 when you get to level 50 ( Red mage and Samurai) and 2 at level 60 ( Gunbreaker and Dancer). Unfortunately for Machinist, AStrologian and Dark knight you actually have to get to a certain point in the story but youll get there eventually.
    I dunno if any of this alleviate any fears, but goodluckko.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Heyyyy, make sure to come back to Sargatanas/Fat Chocobos so we can play together. I can help you out with anything you need. BLM up to 50 is actually pretty good for new players, for the reasons Galuf mentioned. I'd say RDM is probably the easiest job to learn in general, but you can't get that until you hit 50, and you have to have the Stormblood expansion.

All of the classes have been streamlined and reworked a lot since the last time you played (which I think was in HW?), so you might find it easier to do now. If you're still interested in tanking/a tank job, then you might find it easier to do so now. But for what it's worth, a lot of people in MMOs (not just this one) hate tanking because of the implied "party leader" status.

So yeah, just hop on and play with us! I'd be happy to run you through any content you need, as would people in the FC/my friend group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

So the FC is still together/active? I came back recently. Nobody from my flist from FC was still active so I assumed it was no more.

moogle, my main is Dragoon while I'm getting through the story and I'm moving along fine. I've been playing solo and getting through a ton of content with no issues whatsoever (until I'm hitting the extreme fights, doesn't seem like those are great for PUGS Pick-up-groups). I've found that everyone has been patient upon recognizing my sprout (newb) status. If you join up again and get on Sargat, hit me up and I'll run things with ya. Jinx and the others can provide even more and better help. My biggest suggestion is to play something that interests you and you'll learn the rest in time. You'll run across jerks in any MMO, but FFXIV has fewer than most. Be patient with yourself and ignore anyone who tries to ruin your experience by expecting unreasonable play from a new player. Get with the right people and they'll teach you while still having fun with it.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Sorry, this is quire a late response, but the FC is still there. There's been a lot of movement, and yes, a great deal of the old guard is gone, but we really do need more active players, so we'd love to have you come out and play with us.

The best thing about XIV is that if you don't like one class, just try another. There's literally no penalty for it, since it's all on one character. And if you ever need any help, feel free to hit me up, always willing to run just about anything.