Thread: Most Convoluted Plotlines in Gaming.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nom nom nom Most Convoluted Plotlines in Gaming.

You know the ones. The games where you have to practically buy the cliff notes or guide books just to keep track of all the characters, nations, terminology, and nonsense that unfolds before you. The type of games where if its a series, missing just one minor entry can make the next entry almost unintelligible for you. The game where you understand everything perfectly, but as you try to explain the story to a friend or loved one, it becomes more and more apparent to you that what you thought was going to be a simply five minute explanation has devolved into a thirty minute essay.

So what game plots did you find convoluted and did you like any of them?

I mean, someone’s GOT to say Kingdom Hearts, right? And no, I don’t particularly care for the overarching plot.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I mean, someone’s GOT to say Kingdom Hearts, right? And no, I don’t particularly care for the overarching plot.
    Your loss

Articles
    Blog Entries

Umineko in no small part because it's literally featuring characters that pull concepts out of their ass when it suits them to make a narrative point, and the overarching setting just rolls with it. It's super meta and it's great and trying to paint the bigger picture is either really fun or an exercise in futility, depending on how you look at it.

Metal Gear Solid always has some crazy bs going on and I'm only semi-following the storyline past the halfway point in all of the games. Plus it usually requires you to remember minutiae from the other games to fully understand the story of any given game. Still love the series though.

I was definitely thinking MGS too, but it's convoluted in a good way.

I haven't actually played them but I'm going to say DMC and GOW. Also, Resident Evil... all of it. I think Legend of Dragoon counts too.

The Chrono games and Another Eden, any game that involves time travel (or alternate universes) is going to get convoluted fast.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

ff8 is a bad game and you're dumb if you like it
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

But Squall is so awesome though!
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.