Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So about FFXV

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

As a fan of Fallout and the Elder Scrolls, eh, no, they're not really all that similar at all. It reminds me more of Dragon's Dogma or to a lesser extent Dragon Age Inquisition in that it it's sort of like an MMORPG but offline.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm simply saying this is a game you get more enjoyment out of by actually exploring and doing side stuff as opposed to being some powerful central narrative. You get more fun out of the game just exploring and dicking around than by following the plot, which is why I compared it to Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

Articles

I understand what you're saying as a broad point but I still think it's an inaccurate comparison given the relative lack of depth, variety and nuance FFXV has in its side quests and locations compared to those titles. TES/FO gave as much weight to each of their sidequests as their main quests, while in FFXV the sidequests are usually one dimensional busywork/fetch quests, seemingly tacked on to artificially inflate the game's length but perhaps I am being a wee bit cynical here. Regardless, it's a clear difference in design philosophy.

As a result of these different focuses, my admittedly purely anecdotal evidence is most people appreciated the main story quest of XV more than its side content. If you Google "FFXV side quests" the first auto complete option is "FFXV side quests boring" which I think says it all! So to approach XV as you would TES/FO is something I'd advise against because the games are deliberately structured entirely differently with their pacing and gameplay.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, I do like Dragon Age Inquisition even if I didn't get far in it. I can't remember where I left off in it.

I like to stick with the main story, though. That's what I did for FFXII. I get lost too easily in open world scenarios. I have no sense of direction it's my curse.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I understand what you're saying as a broad point but I still think it's an inaccurate comparison given the relative lack of depth, variety and nuance FFXV has in its side quests and locations compared to those titles. TES/FO gave as much weight to each of their sidequests as their main quests, while in FFXV the sidequests are usually one dimensional busywork/fetch quests, seemingly tacked on to artificially inflate the game's length but perhaps I am being a wee bit cynical here. Regardless, it's a clear difference in design philosophy.

As a result of these different focuses, my admittedly purely anecdotal evidence is most people appreciated the main story quest of XV more than its side content. If you Google "FFXV side quests" the first auto complete option is "FFXV side quests boring" which I think says it all! So to approach XV as you would TES/FO is something I'd advise against because the games are deliberately structured entirely differently with their pacing and gameplay.
    Fair enough, but I would point out that a lot of FFXV's quests weren't just hunts and fetch quests, and even some of those quests did land us in the awesome side dungeons that are easily the highlight of the extra content within the game. I never regretted looking for all of the Royal Arms as they were attached to some of the more memorable locations and sequences in the game both within the main story and side content. So its not like FFXV's side missions were all a wash like say XIII...

My choice of saying Fallout/Elder Scrolls really comes from being the closest equivalent I've actually played, and also because I don;t really feel those games quests are all winners. For every cool quest in Fallout 3, there were like three that were kind of ho-hum at best. Probably why I thought of them first.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you want a game with quests that are actually done well, The Witcher 3 would like a word

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    If you want a game with quests that are actually done well, The Witcher 3 would like a word
    I am playing this for the first time RIGHT NOW.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Final Fantasy.
    Fifteen should have been a blast.
    Thirteen was better.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Thumbs up

Well, I'm late to the party here but I actually pirated this game on the PC since it looked awful. Like, almost as bad as FF12 (Which I bought TWICE thinking the Zodiac Age might actually be half decent). I couldn't believe that Square Enix would try another open world disaster like FF12 (Even though FF12 isn't actually truly 'open world').

Anyways, an hour into the game I thought it was another failed attempt at making a 'single-player mmo' and was glad I didn't pay for that garbage. And then a few more hours into the game I realized that instead of blowing through the game as fast as you can it's better to just take your time and enjoy the gorgeous open world they designed and holy trout, I spent the next few days doing absolutely nothing except playing this game. Square Enix won me over again. I had doubted them, thinking they made the same mistake as in FF12, but they proved they know better than I do.

The second half of the game though did feel rushed, like they had ran out of resources or something. Whether that was time or money, I'm not sure but it must take a LOT of time/money to make a huge game like FF15 though. The story felt disjointed (like rather than watching a TV series episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6,etc it was more like watching a TV series episodes 1,3,5,7,9,etc) and the ending was disappointing because it felt rushed.

So yea, it wasn't perfect, but it was more than good enough for me to actually purchase the game as soon as I beat it. And now I got all the Final Fantasy games on steam again except 1 & 2 (which I don't think are available on steam?) and 11 and 14 because MMOs are too addicting.

tldr: It's a good game. If the only reason you haven't bought it yet was because you didn't like ff12 then I would definitely recommend buying it -- they aren't really alike at all. Or even pirating it first because surely you will like it enough to buy it afterwards.

finally upgraded from ps3 to ps4 and given this a shot. i wasn't too keen because the reaction to ff15 was somewhat tepid.

i actually enjoyed it a whole bunch. loved the boy band, they interacted really well. plot was whatever, but i didn't hate it by any means. chocobos were a lot of fun and my partner loved them.

got a bit bored of driving, and the day-night thing. i don't want to have to stop driving every 500ft to fight an iron giant when im trying to go across the map for a quest i happen to be playing at night

did tons of quests within the first two to four chapters because for some reason i assumed they would be temporary and i wouldnt be able to play them after. this left me pretty over-levelled for much of the game. the "hard" battles were easy, but boring, because i could just spam potions and re-stock.

its not a classic FF for me but i think it was a strong, enjoyable game to play for a couple weeks or so

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFXV had a rocky start, but it achieved greatness in my opinion. Every patch, update, episode and spin-off adds to the overall tapestry, and a surprisingly rich and deep lore.

The Kingsglaive movie isn't the best, but it adds some layers to the back-story. The Brotherhood short anime sets the scene nicely. The DLC episodes, except Episode Gladiolus, contribute remarkably. The final one, Episode Ardyn, is a real stand-out.

The base game on its own leaves a few things to be desired, but FFXV as a multi-faceted whole is a satisfying, moving entity.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I found it to be a lot of fun, and I loved the small interactions between the characters as you explore. But playing it makes me sad because you can see how much potential it really had and didn't live up to. The stretch of the game where you acquire Leviathan, to me, is one of the highlights of the whole series. And that the rest of the game couldn't come anywhere close to keeping up with that is really tragic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I enjoyed FFXV. As a disclaimer, please note I'm a person who actually enjoys games and doesn't spend their life comparing each Final Fantasy to whatever golden age they might have in their head. If you sound like someone who does that, you may not like FFXV at all.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I enjoyed FFXV. As a disclaimer, please note I'm a person who actually enjoys games and doesn't spend their life comparing each Final Fantasy to whatever golden age they might have in their head. If you sound like someone who does that, you may not like FFXV at all.
    Same.

I also enjoyed all the other media attached to it. The Brotherhood anime was great for the backstory around the characters. I also quite enjoyed Kingslaive as a film. I still need to finish the main story in the game but thoroughly enjoyed the 40+ hours I've spent there. I got too easily distracted with sidequests!

I'm currently on chapter 3 and so far I think it's decent. IMO it's an improvement over XII and XIII, but doesn't really compare to the Squaresoft era Final Fantasies. It's a slow-burner that focuses more on the journey rather than the destination, so rather than rush through the story as quick as possible you should take your time to explore and complete as many sidequests as possible. That being said it isn't worth buying a new system for, so you're interested you should get the PC version which comes with all the DLC anyway.