Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So about FFXV

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default So about FFXV

Is it worth buying? Renting? Is it worth getting a new console to play? What did you think of it when the released version finally came out. I've been MIA for three years so I haven't gotten the chance to play it. Not that I can currently afford upgrading to a new system anyway, unless it's on PC. Is it on PC?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My overall opinions as I played it were pretty much summed up in these two threads:

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread....)-impressions!

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread....essions-Thread

Course this was playing the original Day 1 version so I know a bunch of stuff got patched or changed as time went on. I'm not even sure if my general opinion now really counts.

With that said, while FFXV utilizes a lot of game design elements I don't care for (MMO style open world, fetch quests, action battle system) I genuinely enjoyed my time with it even if I felt it really dragged in places. It didn't restore my faith in the series like XII did, but it also didn't make me dread the future like XIII did. It's a middle of the road entry for me.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

If you can pickup the Royal Edition cheap, it's worth it. It's still not the most complete Final Fantasy experience ever, but the Royal Edition makes it fairly solid offering compared to what it was at release.

And yes, it's on PC. Although you need a pretty beef rig to run it at high graphics settings.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, then my PC won't be up to the task. But I'll let my brother know it's on PC in case he'd be interested. He has a gaming laptop so it might work well on his. I can barely run Type-0 on my PC.

In my opinion, FFXV is really a great game, I played it a few times. I enjoyed it when it was first released, but of course, it's even better now with all the upgrades and DLCs.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Oh, then my PC won't be up to the task. But I'll let my brother know it's on PC in case he'd be interested. He has a gaming laptop so it might work well on his. I can barely run Type-0 on my PC.
    Then you might be interested in the Pocket Edition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_...Pocket_Edition

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It thought it had exactly zero good qualities. By about halfway through I forced myself to rush through the main story just to be able to finish it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    It thought it had exactly zero good qualities. By about halfway through I forced myself to rush through the main story just to be able to finish it.
    The music is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Also, Prompto. He's a tremendous little fella.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Also, Prompto. He's a tremendous little fella.
    I actually haven't played it, but FFXIV did a crossover with FFXV, and some of the quest rewards where music scrolls of FFXV music (these allow you to play music from the game in your personal house). I actually enjoyed it and it encouraged me to branch out to listen to other songs from the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Set your expectations as low as you possibly can, and you can probably find it enjoyable.

FFXV is a massive disappointment by the series's standards, but it's not an objectively terrible game. Come at it with the right attitude and it's worth some money.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My cousin who used to be a member here said it felt like a rushed project. I find that odd given how much time was devoted to developing the damn thing. Anyone else share that opinion?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, make no mistake. The actual game was developed in like, two years. Everything that we saw before as Versus went absolutely nowhere because Nomura was swamped with other projects. People rail on Tabata for ruining Nomura’s vision, but it’s really thanks to him that the game got made at all.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    My cousin who used to be a member here said it felt like a rushed project. I find that odd given how much time was devoted to developing the damn thing. Anyone else share that opinion?
    It did feel rushed out a bit. Lot of things got patched in the first six months. I'd say the two biggest issues is that while it has a lot of good ideas, not many of them feel fleshed out really well like the car mechanic, the battle system, and some of the questlines. The other issue that hurts it is that the team took a risky design choice for the plot where the majority of the story is taken only from Noctis' point of view and thus a lot of interesting things in the background are missed because Noct is almost never there to witness it. Its not as obvious in the first two-thirds of the game, but becomes a serious issue in the last third of the game.

It works best if you approach it more as an open world title like Fallout or Elder Scroll than as a rails on FF title like FFX or XIII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Eh, but I was never that into Fallout or the Elder Scrolls. That's not a good sign...