Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zelda Breath of the Wild

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Zelda Breath of the Wild

Same question as the FFXV thread. What do people think of this game? Is it worth getting a Nintendo Switch for?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought it was an incredibly relaxing game for the most part, and I really enjoyed exploring the open world. I don’t know if any one game is ever worth a system, but it definitely helped me think the Switch was worth it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, it’s only the best, most profound Zelda experience I’ve ever had

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Pretty good game, not what I want from Zelda, sad it's going to have a massive influence on the franchise in the foreseeable future.

Only you can decide if it's worth getting a Switch for. Some people would say one game isn't worth getting a console for, but I got my Switch just for Xenoblade 2 and didn't regret the purchase.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My cousin said the experience reminded him of the original Zelda with how open it was. Sounds like he was spot on. Do you ever get the green tunic in the game?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you clear all the basic 108 shrines, yes. It’s actually the version from A Link to the Past.

I have a similar opinion on Breath of the Wild as I do for FFXV, in the sense that it's absolutely not the direction I wanted the series and if this is a sign of things to come, I'm concerned.

Having said that Breath of the Wild is at least well designed for what it is. If you really want to experience a bland, repetitive open world where the early game is needlessly frustrating thanks to low weapon durability, low stats, weather which makes you freeze or fall off rocks you are trying to climb, and a general lack of structure or narrative purpose outside of collecting the same dull resource from dozens of visually identical mini-dungeons, this is the one to get.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don’t listen to Fox. The core idea you need to get into your head quickly is that you just don’t get attached to weapons - you adapt to the situation and just use whatever you have at hand. Go as blind as you can, try to survive, and you’ll do good.

Plus later you’ll get the Master Sword. It doesn’t break, though it does have to recharge after a while. Still, at least you always have that to fall back on later on.

Yeah, it makes finding good weapons in dungeons SUPER rewarding because they break after 10 hits. It's the best.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hell, I once went into battle with a broken sword in Dark Souls. I don't fear the broken weapons man.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

See? Ayen isn’t deathly afraid of a little inconvenience and silent protagonists

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    See? Ayen isn’t deathly afraid of a little inconvenience and silent protagonists
    Hey, I think it's great that you can have lower standards for your games, you'll have a lot more fun that way.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Hey, I think it's great that you can have lower standards for your games, you'll have a lot more fun that way.
    Fox, you're one word away from being a biased conservative news branch on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Hell, I once went into battle with a broken sword in Dark Souls. I don't fear the broken weapons man.
    Btw weapons in Zelda a) break much faster than in Dark Souls and b) cannot be repaired like they can in Dark Souls.

If that sounds like a great time to you, I am 99% sure you'll be in the "i love this game" camp.