Thread: The Motion Picture Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Motion Picture Thread

Seen any good movies lately? What are some of your favorite and least favorite movies?

My favorite movie is The Neverending Story. And my least favorite has to be Street Fighter Legend of Chun-Li. That movie made me so mad.

The last good movie I watched was Logan. That was sad though, but the little girl, Laura, is awesome!

I'm gonna randomly say Spiderman Far From Home. It was the most recent film I watched that I really liked but it's among a longer list of movies (especially in the case of Marvel, except Captain Marvel which I found to be mediocre much like Age of Ultron, Iron Man 2, and Thor the Dark World).

Movies I disliked include Bright (Will Smith), and Ma, which is just a really stupid disappointment of a film.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gunbuster The Movie was the last film I saw and it holds up pretty well despite being an obvious re-edit of the OVA series. The animation is still on point though.

Favorite movie of all time is Princess Mononoke. My least favorite is probably Cat in the Hat with Mike Meyers.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    I'm gonna randomly say Spiderman Far From Home. It was the most recent film I watched that I really liked but it's among a longer list of movies (especially in the case of Marvel, except Captain Marvel which I found to be mediocre much like Age of Ultron, Iron Man 2, and Thor the Dark World).

Movies I disliked include Bright (Will Smith), and Ma, which is just a really stupid disappointment of a film.
    I'm glad to hear that about Far From Home. I'm a pretty big Spider-Man fan so I want to see that. Of course I still haven't seen Homecoming yet. I left the hospital that showed it before they could show it so I didn't get to watch it. I did get to see Infinity War , Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and Thor 3 though.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just watched Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time. Good flick, but a little over hyped, though I will tip my hat on how well they recreated the Live Aid concert. I had watched it the actual concert footage on YouTube prior to watching the film, and they did a fantastic job recreating the scene.

My issues with the film was a combination of being inaccurate with history for the sake of drama. The band never broke up like they did in the film, Queen was not a last minute addition to Live Aid and the band had actually released an album prior to the concert event, and of course the most glaring is that Freddie Mercury most likely contracted AIDS a year or two following the Live Aid concert. The other issue is something I remember one review criticizing the film for, which is that while Mercury is a pretty flawed fellow, his band mates (whom are all alive still) come across way too squeaky clean to be realistic and rarely drive any drama to the film. For instance, the film glosses over the fact that Queen's first tour in the U.S. was cut short because Mays collapsed on stage and was later diagnosed with Hepatitis, or that the solo album debacle was blown out of proportion because two of the other band mates had already started working on solo projects before Mercury did his. At least they got some of the writing elements correct since most people assume Mercury wrote everything but actually every member contributed songs for every album. Despite all, that, it was still an enjoyable flick.

Afterwards, I re-watched the film Topsy Turvey, which is another biographical flick about Gilbert and Sullivan (Pirates of Penzance, H.M.S. Penafore, and The Sorcerer) concerning the struggles to create their last great operetta The Mikado. Again, some details are smudged for the sake of drama but the film is a real treat to get an idea of what Victorian era England was like and the film has an excellent dry humor to it that only the English can do so well. If you've ever worked in theater, this film is also a nice treat as some of the elements concerning the actors may hit too close to home for others.

recent stand-outs for me

-Isle of Dogs
    -Swiss Army Man
    -Hunt for the Wilderpeople

also saw this years ago, so not recently, but everyone should see cube at least once

Articles
    Blog Entries

You know what pissed me off about Logan?

(SPOILER)They killed off Charles Xavier again! I mean, really, you already killed him off and brought him back, so you had to go and do it again? And so much for Days of Future Past. They go back in time to stop a future where they all get wiped out, and in the future most of them get wiped out anyway. Just not by giant smurfing robots. Bleh.

That's my rant for the day.