• Marvel

4 80.00%
  • DC

1 20.00%

Thread: Marvel versus DC

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Marvel versus DC

Which comic book company do you root for the most? This is hard for me a little bit, but I have to say Marvel is the clear winner when it comes to their movies, but I think DC is better at their TV and animated features, and I think both are doing pretty good in the comic book world. I just got finished reading the first two volumes of New 52 Supergirl, and I read a history of Marvel comics at the last hospital I was at at their library.

As much as I like Supergirl, Superman, Batman, and have a soft spot for their heroes, I'm going to go with Marvel. They just have more relatable characters and I was more into my Spider-Man and X-Men comic books than Batman or Superman.

Discuss.

To my mind this isn't even close.
    DC has nowhere near the quality of comics or heroes. Batman? That is probably among the best and still pales in comparison to Spider-man and X-Men. Superman? Could never really get into it and Deadpool surely has it beat (as do many other Marvel comics)

DC would maybe, probably, I guess come out favorably in comparison to Archie Comics, but at least that would be a closer match. I'll admit that the tinge of nostalgia for those old TMNT comic may be pushing me more toward Archie Comics, since I never really collected DC comics growing up, but in the case of the Marvel comparison the discrepancy is just too large to be explained by nostalgia alone. DC just flat out doesn't have much of the kind of comics or characters I like or ever liked.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is a tough one for sure. I'm definitely more into the Marvel camp as it was X-Men and Spider-Man that got me into comics when I was kid. As I grew older though, I began to really expand more into DC's library. For their main comic lines, Batman is and will always be my favorite character from DC's classic lineup. I don't really care for any of the other characters. DC's superheroes often feel more like mythical heroes as opposed to the very humanistic heroes that permeate out of Marvel, which is why I feel Marvel set itself apart from DC in the 60s and 70s. Marvel's heroes are generally more likable because they are inherently flawed and for many, on the outset they have struggled with their double life.

Where I do give DC more props over Marvel is that DC traditionally has had better writers working for them than Marvel has. Even when Marvel hires said writers to work on their stuff, it never comes out as spectacular as fans would hope. Look at Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and Batman and then compare it to his weaksauce run on New X-Men. The real issue is that Marvel has just never had a solid answer for DC's Vertigo collection and many of the most influential comics and graphic novels sprung up from there such as Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and of course, Neil Gaimen's Sandman series which are all fantastic reads that aim for a higher quality than the "save earth this week" shenanigans that the comic industry is mostly known for. The closest Marvel really had was the Marvels series back in the early 90s or Marvel 1602.

As for branching out into other media. Marvel has won the film business with one major thorn in their side being the Batman films, while DC has traditionally owned Marvel in the TV format with minor exceptions in 90s X-Men, Netflix's Daredevil series, and the 90s Spider-Man series. But even these exceptions on both sides can't really counter how the other side creams them in almost every way. DC can't really match up with the continual success of the MCU, while Marvel has never produced any series on par with DC's animated universe or the enduring power of shows like The Adventures of Lois and Clark, Smallville, The Flash, Supergirl, and the Green Arrow TV shows.

My allegiance is still with Marvel, but I have mad respect for the more mature writing that DC often produces. Sandman, might be one of the best series I've ever read.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    DC has nowhere near the quality of comics or heroes. Batman? That is probably among the best and still pales in comparison to Spider-man and X-Men. Superman? Could never really get into it and Deadpool surely has it beat (as do many other Marvel comics)

DC would maybe, probably, I guess come out favorably in comparison to Archie Comics, but at least that would be a closer match. I'll admit that the tinge of nostalgia for those old TMNT comic may be pushing me more toward Archie Comics, since I never really collected DC comics growing up, but in the case of the Marvel comparison the discrepancy is just too large to be explained by nostalgia alone. DC just flat out doesn't have much of the kind of comics or characters I like or ever liked.
    This is nearly identical to your PlayStatoin versus N64 post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post

This is nearly identical to your PlayStatoin versus N64 post.
    It's literally copypasted and then Mad Libs style edited. And the Playstation vs N64 was also. The sentiments are still mostly real, but I might be stretching it a tad for this one. DC and Marvel are probably closer than Playstation and N64, IMO. And I'm flat out joking to fit the format when I say DC is closer to Archie Comics than Marvel.

I'm not really one to root for the underdog. Then again, I feel that term really only applies to a loser who is trying. I have a hard time making the argument that DC tries at all. Or at least I feel Warner Bros doesn't try.

When it comes to comics and animations, I root for DC because that's where they shine. When it comes to movies, I root for Marvel for the same reason. Then again, if Christopher Nolan decided to return to Batman, I would definitely be in their camp (at least a little more than now). I wasn't crazy for DKR, but there are still avenues which could be explored. I do find myself hoping that WarBros future DCworks will be worth my time.

I will admit that I'm more interested in properties crossing over. Which is why I working on a universe that combines several recent standalone films that introduced arguable heroes (non-comics-related) but don't seem to have sequels in the works.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.