View Poll Results: PlayStatoin or Nintendo 64?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • PlayStation

11 91.67%
  • Nintendo 64

1 8.33%

Thread: The Sony PlayStatoin versus Nintendo 64

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Sony PlayStatoin versus Nintendo 64

Now this time I may vote with the majority because I love the Sony PlayStatoin and the quality and quantity of games it had in its library. Games like Monster Rancher, Evil Zone, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Auto Destruct, and many fantastic RPGs, and of course FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX. I still haven't played Tactics, though.

That said, I still love my N64. It had games like Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Battle Tanx Global Assault, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, and it mastered 3D a lot quicker than the Sony PlayStation did.

Discuss.

To my mind this isn't even close.
    N64 had nowhere near the quality (or quantity) of games. Mario 64? That was probably among the best and still pales in comparison to all the great RPGs on PSX. Ocarina? Could never really get into it, because it's the worst Zelda game after Zelda II. Brave Fencer Musashi is better and FFVII surely has it beat by a lot (as do many other PSX RPGs IMO).

N64 would maybe, probably, I guess come out favorably in comparison to Atari Jaguar, but at least that would be a closer match. I'll admit that the lack of nostalgia for N64 may be pushing me more toward making such a comparison, but in the case of the PSX comparison the discrepancy is just too large to be explained by nostalgia alone. N64 just flat out didn't have much of the kind of games I like or ever liked.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sony PlayStation to me is the real king of the 3D renaissance in gaming. Nintendo may have had better quality in terms of control while Sega Saturn really introduced the medium, but the sheer influence Sony's library of games has had on gaming is unheard of.

The N64 and PlayStation both pretty much highlight what both companies would largely be known for. The N64 had a weaker library, but their first party titles are always on point. While I feel Ocarina of time is a bit overrated, I still feel it's a great Zelda game for instance. The PlayStation simply dominates because of its overwhelming library of titles, but for me, its the third party support that really makes Sony the winner here. It's hard to beat Square and Capcom's golden ages or Konami's success with Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The PlayStation just seemed to have a lot more games than the N64, and my favorite games exist on there for the most part. That being said, I have many fond memories of the N64, and my enjoyment of the systems was probably about even at the time. Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium, Mario Party, Cruisin’ USA... We had more games for the N64 than the PlayStation when I was a kid, and I probably spent more time on the N64. PlayStation has Metal Gear and Final fantasy VIII though, and those are some of my favorite games of all time. Nowadays, I definitely am more likely to pick up PS1 games though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

lol not even one vote for the N64. I need to work on my console matching.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The N64 doesn't even have the better 3D platformers.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mario 64 is literally the best 3d platformer ever made.

Yes, even now. Aside from the one or two the psx had that took advantage of the dual shock when it was released I wouldn't even say it had many great ones. Certainly none that play that all and held up to any significant degree.

And yes I voted N64. Mostly because of Mario 64 and because people forgetting that the N64 had some excellent games gets tiring.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Nintendo 64 had some great games, but Playstation had games that were just as great, and a whole lot more of them.

The massive exodus of third party devs from Nintendo to Sony can't be understated here. Franchises that started on the SNES but moved to Playstation instead of N64 include Final Fantasy, Seiken Densetsu, Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest, Tales, Star Ocean and more. Add things like Grandia, Wild Arms, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, and those are just JRPG franchises.

As for other genres, Tomb Raider and Gran Turismo were both amazing games and a massive influence on their respective genres. Resident Evil and Silent Hill shoved survival horror out of its tiny corner into the spotlight. Spyro and Crash Bandicoot may not be as good as Mario 64 but they were great nonetheless. Even Castlevania had a better entry on Playstation than on N64. It'd be easy for me to go on and list even more but you get the point.

tldr: Playstation.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Voted PlayStation but loved both systems. The N64 was great for having a friend over and going head to head. The PlayStation had the better RPG library by far. (Sorry Quest 64 you stunk). Being a RPG lover I found me going to the PlayStation unless I was playing a game like Mario Kart or WCW Vs NWO which was almost always just with friends around.

Articles
    Blog Entries

PlayStation also had a lot of good survivor horror games on the platform. Games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Parasite Eve, Clock Tower, Alone in the Dark, D, Echo Night, Overblood, Dark Messiah, Koudelka, Galerians, Dark Tales, Juggernaut, Martian Gothic, and the list goes on.

I only recently bought a single game for the Nintendo 64 (well, two years ago anyway) and wouldn't just be my luck, I had somehow misplaced my N64. I don't know if I forgotten I sold it, or gave it to someone, but it seems really weird that my gaming console would just up and disappear. I owned that thing for like 3 years and only ever rented certain titles (SPOILER)Deadly Arts, Mario, Ocarina and Majora, Blast Corps, Starfox, Goldeneye, Spiderman, Shadows of the Empire, Clayfighter, Bio-F.R.E.A.K.S., Gauntlet Legends

On the other hand, I own at least 20 OG PlayStation titles including FF Origins/Chronicles/Anthology/Tactics (dual titles: FF/FF2, CT/FF4, FF5/FF6), FF7-9, three Tomb Raiders, Alundra 1&2, Jet Moto 2, Gran Turismo, Tony Hawk 1-3, Bushido Blade 2, Guardian's Crusade, Breath of Fire III, Erhgeiz, Chrono Cross, Dino Crisis, Lunar, Legend of Dragoon, and the Namco Collections)

Boy... Yeah, I had some fun.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm going to go N64, based on my enjoyment and how much time I spent playing games on it. If it was PS2, I'd lean that way.

I'd say, though, that the N64 was really where Nintendo started solidifying their "family oriented" image, and the types of games found on N64 was generally for more casual gamers, or for younger gamers, than what was found on the PS. So, many probably are less likely to choose it, because the overall library for PS was a lot more mature than N64.

That said, branding themselves as the every person's game company was a VERY smart move, and it's part of why they're still so successful today. And no one can beat them in handhelds; there isn't even a competition (don't @ me with the PSP or Vita, like 10 people owned those).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I really hope that the Mother 3 n64 demo is found someday so a ROM gets released. I'm glad the GBA version exists though - it's probably the better platform for it anyway.