Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Classic Anime

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Favorite Classic Anime

Been watching a bunch of older anime lately and getting nostalgic. So what are some of your favorite "classic" anime. I am also completely aware of the fact that I am setting myself up to feel really old when people start listing off series I watched in college as classic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Evangelion, Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop come to mind. They’ve all passed the ten-year mark, so that’s enough time for them to be a classic in my mind

Articles
    Blog Entries

Sailor Moon, Slayers, Record of Loddos War, Ranma one half, and Utena are the first ones to come to mind.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Ten year mark? Those three have all passed the twenty year mark too.

It's hard to really figure out when something's old enough to call classic, I'll just stick to pre-2000 stuff.

Gunbuster, Macross Plus, GaoGaiGar, all the pre-2000 Gundam series, Nadesico, Trigun

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Yes, I may be somewhat of a mecha fan.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

It's not my favorite, but one that I love is Dominion Tank Police.

New Dominion Tank Police was pretty solid.

I enjoy Dirty Pair, Bubble Gum Crisis, Here is Greenwood, Devil Hunter Yoko, stuff like that.

I recently came across Kimagura Orange Road, and it's cute and fun.

As for newer classics, Ninja Scroll, Bubble Gum Crisis 2040, Gun Smith Cats, Evangelion, Noir, Ghost in the Shell, ex-Driver, stuff like that.

Not sure what you actually mean by classicm. I didn't watch much anime beforencollege, so chances are most ones Ibwould think about are ones I saw in college. Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Evangelion top the list for me. Those probably aren't old enough to qualify as what you would consider "classic" but then I'm not really sure which animes do or if I've even seen them or care about them.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Classic is whatever you think it is.

Well, I could easily classic anime referring to like 60s and 70s, but I don't know too much from that era that I've both seen and liked. Probably my favorite of that era would be Lupin III or something like that. I've also seen Speed Racer, but meh....

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

The Slayers. So many fond memories of that series. Someday, I'll get around to making that Lina cosplay. Going to blame the eternal procrastination on those pauldrons.

The original Macross Saga has a soft spot in my heart, and if you're willing to go a little newer, Generator Gawl, as bad as it was, was also one of my younger self's favorites.

Oh god yes, I love Slayers so much. One of my very first animes and till today, one of my all time favourite (well the 3 main series, not so much the offspins).

Sailor Moon and Kenshin were totally my jam as a kid, and I still like them today, even if Kenshin manages to embody almost everything I hate about anime.

The original Gundam is . . . so much better than I had expected, so that's up there for me.

Armitage III gets a lot of flak, but I love it a lot.

Ninja Scroll and Princess Mononoke are still fantastic.

Excel Saga, Digi Charat, and Galaxy Angel are gag series I am ALWAYS down for.

Sailor Moon for sure! I just watched like a 40 minute youtube video that went through the entire anime storyline haha

And then Inuyasha. This is classic for me as it was the first thing I ever watched an adult swim way back when.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post
    The Slayers. So many fond memories of that series. Someday, I'll get around to making that Lina cosplay. Going to blame the eternal procrastination on those pauldrons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergroilnin View Post
    Oh god yes, I love Slayers so much. One of my very first animes and till today, one of my all time favourite (well the 3 main series, not so much the offspins).
    Oh ho ho ho ho!!!

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Yes, even Naga's laugh. Which sounds almost the same in both Japanese and English. It's kind of impressive, actually.

no love for Cyber City OEDO 808, Dragon Half, Patlabor or Airbats?
    YE RAGIN', AYE?