Thread: The most overrated JRPG score

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's literally an identical descending and ascending semitone pattern in both of them. In Phantom, it's on the organ, while the strings play it in FFVI.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It's probably a bit beyond my comprehension as I don't know much about composition

Also I agree with Persona 5. It didn't really do much for me at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I hate it so much when musicians get all antsy about "oh, this is a copy because this particular part is kind of like this other thing". It triggers me quite a bit, you can't copyright a beat, or at least, you certainly shouldn't be able to. It's such a blurry line between so many songs and the longer time goes on, the more and more songs are going to happen to cross over each other in beats and stuff and it's just... urgh. Pet peeve of mine. If it's clearly a different song, it's fine. Let the buyer make up their mind which they prefer, if any.

But I digress.

FFVI soundtrack isn't bad, it's just probably the most overhyped OST I've heard, much like FFVI is probably the most overhyped game I've played.

Also, I totally get that the orchestrated versions might be better, but what I hear in the game is what I hear in the game, and FFV's is better than FFVI, so this just exaggerates my opinion on the matter, because nobody really mentions FFV in great OSTs nearly as much as FFVI.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, it’s definitely a reference considering the opera plays a big part of FFVI. I happen to love Fierce Battle and think this is great. But sure, call me a nitpicky musician who polices what people can like or whatever

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Well, my comment is more directed towards legal situations that come about because of this kind of thing, not saying you yourself are the peak of this issue. You just started me thinking about it with your posts, and I took your "audacity" comment to suggest that they were ripping/copying it more than suggesting that it was cool that they referencing it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The only thing that I could think that would make Persona 5 OST overrated is if people said the regular boss music is good. They don't, do they?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Having audacity can be a positive or a negative. Positive in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Also, can I just bring up the sheer audacity of the Fierce Battle's intro being pretty much a 1:1 quote of that to the Overture to Phantom of the Opera?
    Roger Waters would tell you that Lloyd Webber stole it from him first (Meddle side 2).

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually feel Persona 5's OST is one of the better ones Shoji Meguro has done for the series, course I'm bias because I actually preferred the OSTs of P1 and 2 over Meguro's more pop albums for 3 and 4. The fact he did more of a jazz piece with 5 brought back some nice memories of his work on the Raido titles. Frankly, Meguro's best musical work has always been the ones for the SMT series like SMT III, Strange Journey, and SMT IV.

As for VI, I still consider it Uematsu's best musical score in both an emotional and technical level. Not saying that's for everyone of course, so I won't begrudge anyone who feels it fell short. I'm with Fynn that Uematsu's peak was certainly the FFV-VII OSTs, with a final hooray with IX's score which is a bit underrated in comparison to VI and VII.

I'm kinda with Karifean on FFVI. Don't get me wrong, it's very good, and was even better for the time. But when people put it up as the best OST in the series, it loses me. Doesn't handle a candle to VII or IX, as far as I'm concerned.

Although yes, Dancing Mad is probably better than One Winged Angel. Certainly when you hear them both played in concert, Dancing Mad really shines. In fact some of the very best concert pieces are from VI: Dancing Mad, Terra's Theme, Maria & Draco. But the in-game versions? Eh. They're good. Maybe even great. But not the toppest of the top tier.

FFIX has good music, but I find it a bit too redundant on the good stuff and then there's a lot of meh tracks besides. I think FFVIII is better overall, but I would tend to agree that FFVI and FFVII are thepinnacle.ofnthenseries musically. Not so sold on FFV.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You all judging FFVI by the individual tracks are looking at it totally backwards because by far the biggest strength of that soundtrack and why it complements the game so well is the fact that it's incredibly cohesive.

I'm *praising* individual tracks, it's as a whole that I don't feel it lives up as much to VII and IX. Especially IX, when you talk about a cohesive soundtrack with fantastic use of themes to tie the story and characters together, IX is a masterpiece in my view. VI is good for the same reasons. But not *as* good.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    You all judging FFVI by the individual tracks are looking at it totally backwards because by far the biggest strength of that soundtrack and why it complements the game so well is the fact that it's incredibly cohesive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu2sztIxQko (massive FFVI spoilers obviously)

Such smurfing mastery. Every god damn character theme. Every single one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I'm *praising* individual tracks, it's as a whole that I don't feel it lives up as much to VII and IX. Especially IX, when you talk about a cohesive soundtrack with fantastic use of themes to tie the story and characters together, IX is a masterpiece in my view. VI is good for the same reasons. But not *as* good.

Ah yes. Such cohesion.

Don't get me wrong, I think IX definitely has an excellent soundtrack (definitely better than VIII's), but cohesive it ain't and the themes aren't as strong. VI's is very obviously modeled after an opera, and if that doesn't tie everything together on a metatextual level, I don't know what does.