Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The most overrated JRPG score

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: The most overrated JRPG score

Opposite of the other thread, what's a highly acclaimed musical score for a JRPG that you just don't care for?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy VI. Its speciality is character themes and it does that pretty well, but apart from Dancing Mad it doesn't really match up to the other games in the series beyond that. But what's even worse is the actual sound direction of the game, as the game uses some OSTs pretty poorly in a way that makes quite a few areas feel like much more a slog than they should have. (Also I really don't care for the opera, don't kill me)

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Persona 5. Not that it's a bad OST, I just don't like it nearly as much as everyone else does, and I prefer Meguro's earlier styles.

But the single most overrated theme in JRPGs to me is still One Winged Angel.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’ll agree about Persona 5. It’s an incredibly cool, funky OST that is definitely great in its own way, but it’s nowhere near as groundbreaking as people make it out to be.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Final Fantasy VI. Its speciality is character themes and it does that pretty well, but apart from Dancing Mad it doesn't really match up to the other games in the series beyond that. But what's even worse is the actual sound direction of the game, as the game uses some OSTs pretty poorly in a way that makes quite a few areas feel like much more a slog than they should have. (Also I really don't care for the opera, don't kill me)
    *holding knife behind back* Hey Karifean? Could you come here for a moment? There's something you need to see.

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    But the single most overrated theme in JRPGs to me is still One Winged Angel.
    Yeah, I feel like this could be said about a lot of the famously "iconic" game themes

BTW someone had posted a in a thread a while back that JENOVA sounds like Jimi Hendrix, but I think the opening sounds way more like the bass line in "Father Cannot Yell" by Can:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'll echo the FFVI remark. For how highly rated it is compared to other games, it just doesn't cut it. Even the best song doesn't beat the best song from the game before it, let alone any of the games after it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey BoB? You mind joining me and Karifean for a second?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, the amount of sacrilege in this thread calls for a purification ritual

as great as it is, the VI OST doesn't grab me as much because i've never been a hardcore fan of the game itself (maybe because i played it years later? but that wouldn't explain IV being a favourite).

for me VII's score, while perhaps less sophisticated from a technical level (arguably poorer instruments/samples used, though they were well-suited to the game's mood) and maybe even from a compositional level, is more impactful because i really loved the game at one time. also it takes the earlier version of what would later become Aeris' theme (that short section in Aria Di Mezzo Carattere) and expands on it to make it even more emotionally resonant. aeris as a character would have very little emotional impact without Uematsu's score imo

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

V, VI, and VII are Uematsu's peak, as far as I'm concerned, with VI being the peak of that peak. V and VII still have fantastic OSTs though

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, can I just bring up the sheer audacity of the Fierce Battle's intro being pretty much a 1:1 quote of that to the Overture to Phantom of the Opera?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I love both the FFVI score (it's awesome, smurf da hataz) and Phantom and I don't hear that at all!