View Poll Results: Which world do you like best?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • World of Balance

2 33.33%
  • World of Ruin

4 66.67%

Thread: World of Balance versus World of Ruin

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default World of Balance versus World of Ruin

Which of the two worlds in FFVI did you find yourself liking the best? The World of Balance or World of Ruin? As much as I appreciate what the World of Ruin had to offer in FFVI, I have to give my vote to the World of Balance. I liked the theme and all the places you went to during that segment of the game. And I'm a huge Terra fan and that part of the game seems to be where she shined the most since you start with her and her theme runs the world map.

Discuss.

Both of them are great, but I love the tragedy and the hope of the World of Ruins and also the freedom it gives us, so my vote will go for this one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

WoR is what really made this game stand out in the first place, tbh. Give me non-linear exploration and a ruined yet hopeful setting and I’ll be all over it

World of Balance, definitely. World of Ruin is one of the major reasons I find it unfathomable that this game has such a strong following as "the best" FF. It's practically half the game that's just a bunch of side quests instead of actual main story plot. Granted, some of them are pretty good side quests, but they're still side quests. And you need to do most of them to get a decent party for the 3 party final dungeon, so it's hard to look at it as just bonus content.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

World of Ruin. It's where all of the games major themes finally come into play and the catharsis for many of the characters story. I appreciate the clever design with making the world feel hopeless like the dying enemies on Solitary Island, the graphical changes to the map, and the ominous Dark World theme. The open ended nature of the setting also places you beautifully in the mindset of the characters, the world is decimated, Kefka' is a tyrannical god, and you have no idea where to even begin to fix all of this. Honestly, it's one of the best and most subtle ez3ecution of narrative and game mechanics in the series.