Thread: The SNES Appreciation Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The SNES Appreciation Thread

I saw how many votes the SNES got in the Genesis versus SNES thread and decided to make a thread for the system. I often wonder what my life would've been like if I had a SNES growing up rather than a Sega Genesis. I imagine playing games like Final Fantasy VI, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Super Castlevania IV for ages. It had Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island. Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy IV, Turtles in Time, Power Rangers, and the Star Wars trilogy.

Yeah, it would've been a good childhood. Discuss.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I had a moment in my life where I had to choose between an SNES and Sega Genesis, I've never regretted choosing the SNES.

Obviously most of the games I grew up with were near and dear to my heart through nostalgia, but even going back through emulation to play several Japanese only titles, I'm consistently blown away by how forward thinking and creative game designers were for this system. Games like Rudra no Hihou, Live a Live, Tactics Ogre, and the Romancing SaGa titles feel like games that were designed to battle some of the cool stuff Sega was doing with the Sega CD and 32X.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I agree with WK here. I still plug in the SNES titles and introduce them to my kids. Even in the age of xBox one and PS4 and Nintendo Switches I find they still ask to play the SNES more. It was so dominant in its day because of how forward thinking the titles were. For how limited the music was they somehow made beautiful musical scores. All around it was a juggernaut system of the day.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country were my absolute favorite go to games as a kid. I feel like I was always bad at platforming games despite those being the main games I had, so I remember being so proud when I finally beat Donkey Kong Country for the first time. I think the first game I ever beat as a kid goes to Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse though. I really liked all the Disney games I had on SNES. I think the only game I had on SNES I didn’t like back then was Home Alone.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Even now, my top games of all time are SNES games. The SNES was a sweet spot in the evolution of gaming. I still have an active SNES that gets play in my house, but I'm anxiously waiting for Nintendo to get their act together and add the SNES console to the Switch like they have with the NES because my SNES is touchy and sometimes glitches out. ALTTP, FFVI, Super Metroid, and SMW were/are just perfect.