Thread: Sega Appreciation Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Sega Appreciation Thread

You didn't think I'd make a SNES thread without making a Sega one, now did you? 8D Talk about all things Sega here. From the Master System to the Dreamcast.

I didn't really own a Sega console growing up, but my brother did. He had the Genesis, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast. I played on the first three, but never got to play on his Dreamcast before he sold it. I can't remember anything I played on Saturn, but I remember the Genesis. Battletoards & Double Dragon, X-Men 2 Clone War, Street Fighter II Champion Edition, Mortal Kombat II, Cyborg Justice, and Doom. I also played Streets of Rage, Comix Zone, one of the Sonic games, a couple of Disney games, children's games, and two Power Rangers games which was the fighting one and the one based off the 1995 movie. I also think I played Batman Forever at some point.

Discuss.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to play the Sonic games all the time as a kid on the Genesis. I would also pretty frequently play one of the Road Rash games at a friend’s house. I also quite liked Quackshot, but I never could get very far in it. Those were my go to games, but I had some fun with the Power Rangers fighter game I had as well as I think Jungle Strike? I also had a Carmen Sandiego game that I was terrible at.

I like Sega, but I just have never had that many of the games. I’ve enjoyed Grandia 2 and the Sonic Adventure games on Dreamcast and NiGHTS into Dreams on Saturn, but I haven’t tried much else I don’t think.

I beat Sonic 2 a few times, played mostly Mortal Kombat II. I think Comix Zone was one of my favorites, but I only ever rented it.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    I beat Sonic 2 a few times, played mostly Mortal Kombat II. I think Comix Zone was one of my favorites, but I only ever rented it.
    I could never get pass the first stage on Comix Zone. I need to play it again some time and see if I can actually get anywhere on it.

My brother and I could never get pass stage two on Battletoads and Double Dragon because of that damn boss. But I managed to get pass him on my own and see stage three. Now I'm stuck on stage three.

There's also a boss on Cyborg Justice that can literally rip you apart and give you a game over. How the hell is that fair!?

As far as I'm concerned Shenmue 2 was Sega's peak. You don't really see that kind of genre melding of adventure, open world and combat in Japanese games anymore (or many games at all). Even though Yakuza has some similarities, it's tone is very different and has a lot more of a combat focus.

Re: Comix Zone - that was a tough game! I think I got to level 4 a few times but not far beyond. So many good platformers on the Genesis, but a ton were super challenging! I played most of them on the original console, so I haven't beaten many of them without using save states.
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 08-09-2019 at 07:11 PM.

I had to Google the ending to see if I recognized it. I remember the good ending. I didn't even know there was a "bad" ending.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have always had a soft spot for both the Sega Genesis and the Saturn. The Genesis was just a great system with some truly awesome titles on it like Vectorman, Comix Zone, Altered Beast, the good MK1, and the better X-Men games (Though X-Men: Apocalypse was pretty awesome) not to mention I've always felt Sega had better quality control over licensed titles than Nintendo did once they jumped to 16-bit.

The Saturn on the other hand was a system that had some technical issues here and there, but really did usher in the exciting age to come. It has a lot of underrated RPGs like Dragon Force, Mystaria, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Magic Knights Rayearth. Yet for me the real highlight of this system and the Dream cast that followed was the simple fact the system had near port perfect arcade titles on it. Capcom's Marvel fighting games, Virtual On, Virtua Fighter II, Radiant Silvergun, the good ports of Street Fighter Alpha, and all the actual Darlstalker/Vampire Savior titles.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I want to play the Sega version of the Resident Evil games just to see how they compare to their PlayStation counterpart.