Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Materia in Advent Children

Default Materia in Advent Children

What did you think about how materia was handled in Advent Children? Loz stealing it was obviously just to remove the element of magic from the main characters, and what did you think about the bad guys absorbing it into there arms instead of there weapons? Would you have liked the main characters to use materia as well?
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I figure the bad guys could get away with 'absorbing' it because of what they are - manifestations of Sephiroth's spirit, not actual flesh-and-blood beings. Their use of Materia gives a hint about their true nature nature.
    It would perhaps have been neat to see a grand faceoff between the two sides involving parties of three with materia as well as weapons... would've been awfully hard to keep track of just what was going on though.
    Besides, our guys have Limit Breaks, which are magical enough on their own

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I really wanted to see the real-life logistics of using Materia. I'd have also loved a scene where Cloud gets pissed off because the Materia he's trying to equip won't fit in the socket properly.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post
    I really wanted to see the real-life logistics of using Materia. I'd have also loved a scene where Cloud gets pissed off because the Materia he's trying to equip won't fit in the socket properly.
    agreed.

but the equipping of the materia suited its purpose..

i wish i saw someone else than the bad guys using it though.

Yah, it would have been fun to see the good guys use materia at least near the begining of the movie.
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

Blog Entries

wouldve been even better if cloud used like barrier and destruct in the final battle, as you wouldve expected if he had materia

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    wouldve been even better if cloud used like barrier and destruct in the final battle
    But Kadaj and Sephiroth were Bosses, so Destruct materia wouldn't work on them At least, the Death spell wouldn't.

Blog Entries

oh sry.. i meant debarrier.. i thought that was called destruct

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

De-Barrier, De-Spell and Death are the spells contained in Destruct materia

Hard to see the good guys using Materia:

-According to Nomura, the use of materia drains the planet's life energy, this being why the good guys don't use it anymore. There's not an explanation for why its use drains the planet's energy, but based on Sephiroth's explanation from the original game that materia links someone to the planet and allows them to use its powers, its most likely that the materia allows someone to tap into the Lifestream's energy and manifest it as a spell based on the specs of the materia they're using. This would, of course, drain the planet's energy, the same as turning it into electricity would.

Question: Do you know why Kefka succeeded in destroying the planet?

Answer: Because the planet didn't fight back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    De-Barrier, De-Spell and Death are the spells contained in Destruct materia
    the Death spell works on end-boss sephiroth in FFVII.. so if hed use barrier here, i dont see why Cloud couldnt use destruct.. anyway, it would just give some good special effects

it would be a lot better to explain then reflecting bullets with your sword -_-

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    Hard to see the good guys using Materia:

-According to Nomura, the use of materia drains the planet's life energy, this being why the good guys don't use it anymore. There's not an explanation for why its use drains the planet's energy, but based on Sephiroth's explanation from the original game that materia links someone to the planet and allows them to use its powers, its most likely that the materia allows someone to tap into the Lifestream's energy and manifest it as a spell based on the specs of the materia they're using. This would, of course, drain the planet's energy, the same as turning it into electricity would.
    Hypothetically speaking (since I can't really contradict Nomura...), I'd think that the manufacturing of materia would tend to drain more of the planet's energy than anything. I mean, what would happen to the energy after the materia was used? I'd think that consumption would happen in the refining to mako and/or electricity process instead of channeling the raw form. Didn't the Ancients use materia?

"You came back for me...that's all that matters."

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

the Death spell works on end-boss sephiroth in FFVII.. so if hed use barrier here, i dont see why Cloud couldnt use destruct.. anyway, it would just give some good special effects
    But you normally can't use Death in the final Sephiroth fight - unless you use hacks, I guess
    it would be a lot better to explain then reflecting bullets with your sword -_-
    That's entirely plausible, assuming that the characters have the enhanced strength and reflexes to see where their opponent is aiming, and put a sword in the way. It also depends on their swords being made of something much tougher than steel, but that seems likely since Cloud's sword can shatter reinforced concrete and doesn't break under its own weight.

It'd be a little anti-climactic. Cloud and Sephiroth prepare for epic battle again. Cloud casts death. Battle over...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Dead Fantasy II already has shown us all the overwhelming ways anyone could use Materia xD