Thread: Biker Gangs, Government corruption, and the Tokyo Olympics in 2020!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Biker Gangs, Government corruption, and the Tokyo Olympics in 2020!

So while a lot of people made a big deal about Back to the Future 2 semi-predicting the future in 2015, what about another landmark film that takes place this very year? I of course mean Akira, the film that launched anime into the public mindset abroad and debatably one of the best anime films not made by Studio Ghibli.

Let's discuss this phenomenal film. TETSUUUUOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I've yet to see it, actually
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I saw that the live action remake got put on hold for the moment. I assume they will ruin it but Taika Waititi does give me some minor hope that it won't be awful.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I watched this one for the first time a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I really need to watch it again soon.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I saw that the live action remake got put on hold for the moment. I assume they will ruin it but Taika Waititi does give me some minor hope that it won't be awful.
    Considering it's been in development hell since Warner Bros. got the rights back in 2002, I'd say I'm not really sure a live action version will ever see the light of day. Course I said the same thing about Battle Angel Alita/Gunm which had been in development hell even longer...

For those who haven't seen it, you should check it out. If anything only to finally understand the myriad of jokes made in other shows that parody this one. I remember watching the ending sequence with Kaneda and I had to add in the line from Robot Chicken...

Goku: The Tenkai Ichi Budokai is complete
    Santa Claus: What the smurf does that mean? What happened to my wife? This is the last time I bring Christmas presents to Japan..."

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

My favorite animated and/or anime film. It's beautifully done. As a young teen (11-12ish) who was a sci-fi fan, I didn't know there could be a cartoon that took sci-fi seriously ( I mean i had Transformers and Macross/Robotech, but nothing like this.)

I went to a little comic con a few years ago, and a nice collector had a lot of the original hand painted animation cells they'd collected on display. It's the whole reason I went to the con.

The soundtrack is still amazing too.

If you enjoy the movie, I'd naturally recommend the manga. The film did the best it could with its two hour run time, but it still leaves out complete story arcs and characters that were pretty interesting. Some characters that are only in the film as a minor addition play far more important parts in the manga

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Sorry for the double-post mods, but if I just edited my old post I figured most people interested wouldn't see it because the thread wouldn't look updated.

So I came across Bartkira the other day, and it's pretty amazing. So strange, but so interesting as a work of passion from fans combining drastically different types of animated media.