Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Underrated Actors?

Default Most Underrated Actors?

Who for you doesn't get enough recognition in terms of acting (both in western media/worldwide)? You can include VA or TV actors if you want.

Personally I think Kyle MacClachlan is super underrated - probably my favourite actor of all time.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I find the term underrated actors a bit strange as acting in itself a very easy profession and not all the hard to do.

Str8 Pimpin'

What's your yearly income as an actor, Roc?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

I ain't that lucky bro.

Str8 Pimpin'

Point: there is a reason most bad movies are blamed on bad acting. Actors who think their job is easy, don't try and we get B-movies which are not always redeemable. To be a marketable actor requires first the ability to tap into a level of empathy not everyone has. Understanding how someone would or should respond in often unusual situations and conveying these expressions physically is a complicated feat mostly only easily achieved by those we refer to as sociopaths.

Next, you have to be able to access this at a moment's notice and altering your personality this way especially for a prolonged length of time can result in psychological disorders due to loss of identity. These issues can range anywhere between depression and drug/alcohol addiction to permanently becoming a drastically different person.

To build and maintain popularity offscreen and ensure the offers keep coming in, you have to present a relatable, charming, and politically neutral public face. Paparazzi and interviewers who try to "trap" or "trick" you are a persistent hurtle.

In summary, there's nothing easy about acting unless you want to work the rest of your life as a background dancer in a music video wearing skimpy clothes or doing over-the-top camp in zit cream commercials.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Point: there is a reason most bad movies are blamed on bad acting. Actors who think their job is easy, don't try and we get B-movies which are not always redeemable. To be a marketable actor requires first the ability to tap into a level of empathy not everyone has. Understanding how someone would or should respond in often unusual situations and conveying these expressions physically is a complicated feat mostly only easily achieved by those we refer to as sociopaths.
    If people don't want to bother doing their job right, that's on them. If you can lie, well, you can act. This would include the vast majority of the population on the planet who are eligible. Tapping into empathy is a secondary to your physical attributes. This is where the huge amount of luck is involved. Yeah, being likable is a plus, but they also have the PR machine behind them doing a spin. You'd have to actively try to look something other than what they want to portray you as.

Next, you have to be able to access this at a moment's notice and altering your personality this way especially for a prolonged length of time can result in psychological disorders due to loss of identity. These issues can range anywhere between depression and drug/alcohol addiction to permanently becoming a drastically different person.
    Any person with addiction problems run the risk of substance abuse when they're given as much free time as successful actors. Musicians are the same, what's their issue? And if you can't handle the role as you think it could affect your mental health, don't take it.

To build and maintain popularity offscreen and ensure the offers keep coming in, you have to present a relatable, charming, and politically neutral public face. Paparazzi and interviewers who try to "trap" or "trick" you are a persistent hurtle.
    I'd like to know of 1 actor who'd trade their handy jobs, holidays, fame, & millions for what you'd say above.

A handful of actors are genuinely gifted at what they do, sure. However, there's a reason why pop singers, comedians and Karen from down the road can put in a shift with acting. You're given as much help as you want, to say a few sentences without confusing yourself. And as mentioned above most importantly, you just need to look the part.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, playing piano is easy too, right? All you need is two hands and ten fingers. Right? Literally everyone can do it. Right?

My favorite part is where Mercen-X low key suggested that Rocket Edge might be a sociopath.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Olivia Wilde

My all time favorite actor is Gary Oldman, and I know he is very well-respected, but I feel like anytime I mention him people only think of Batman, when he's been in so many films and is capable of playing a myriad of characters, which make him almost unrecognizable so many people dont even notice that it's actually him.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Harold Perrineau has had a long and solid career, but I feel he deserves more widespread acclaim for the sheer quality of his acting. In particular, his turn as Mercutio is Baz Luhrmann's 'Romeo + Juliet' back in 1996 was just outstanding. I still rate that as one of my all-time favourite performances by an actor in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud_doll View Post
    My all time favorite actor is Gary Oldman, and I know he is very well-respected, but I feel like anytime I mention him people only think of Batman, when he's been in so many films and is capable of playing a myriad of characters, which make him almost unrecognizable so many people dont even notice that it's actually him.
    I have this problem with Gary Oldman: 9 times of out 10, I don't even know it's him until the credits roll. His whole performance is just so chameleonic that usually I can only see the person he's playing, not the actor underneath. He's so good at this job that he can almost fly under the radar while doing it.

Willem Dafoe.

He's possibly my favorite actor of all time.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I came hear to say Gary Oldman as well. Daniel Day-Lewis will be my second choice.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I came hear to say Gary Oldman as well. Daniel Day-Lewis will be my second choice.
    I’m not sure I’d class either of them as underrated. There’s an argument for Gary Oldman I suppose but Day-Lewis has won like three Best Actor oscars.

Daniel Day-Lewis has has mad levels of love for years, he's too good to underrate.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?