Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Star Ocean IV

It seems like every Star Ocean game after Star Ocean II is a hated game. It's what stopped me from ever getting into the series.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Resident Evil 6 and Hyperdimension Neptunia (the original PS3 game) are probably the most qualified mentions for me here. I didn't think they're great or anything, but I liked them. I'm pretty sure the critics and fanbase both don't think much of these two.

Honorable mention: Ar Tonelico 3. While not as good as the others, I still thought it was great. I'm not entirely sure how the fanbase sees this entry but critics were not afraid to be harsh to this one.

re: Star Ocean -
    I dunno if I'd call Star Ocean 3 or 5 hated, 3 was pretty well-received apart from people who were upset with the game's big twist, and 5 isn't so much hated as just a big "meh" from everyone. For the record I liked both of those two (5 a bit less due to some disappointing aspects), I didn't like 4 though, despite finishing it

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Metropolismania
    Was this game even on anyone's radar to be hated? You're one of the only other people I've heard even mention it. Either way, it's so low budget that I also love it. I legitimately couldn't wait to get home from work to play it like 8ish years ago. Good taste.

I really like Star Fox Adventures. I think it's a great Zelda clone done by a great software developer, using the larger world/lore built around the Star Fox universe. Consider that, outside of Star Fox 2 which didnt get release properly for decades, none of the other main line Star Fox games seem to know what to do narrative-ly other than tell the same basic story.

I think Adventures deserves a lot more credit than it receives.
    "It's not a Star Fox shooter!" "They've made plenty of those."
    "It's too cutesy and kiddie!" "Gasp! Nintendo and particularly its own franchises are famously known for their mature games! I'm also surprised."
    "It doesn't include most of the other cast!" "No, and it doesn't have to. Most of you hate Slippy anyway. Imagine a cool backstory game about Star Wolf and Fox's dad? Let them expand with new stories and new gameplay styles."

It's not a perfect game at all, but I feel it's definitely more a victim of what it wasn't versus what it actually had to offer.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    Resident Evil 6 and Hyperdimension Neptunia (the original PS3 game) are probably the most qualified mentions for me here. I didn't think they're great or anything, but I liked them. I'm pretty sure the critics and fanbase both don't think much of these two.
    Yeah, I like Resident Evil 6, too. But that's mainly because I took great enjoyment in playing an adult Sherry Birkin.

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    re: Star Ocean -
    I dunno if I'd call Star Ocean 3 or 5 hated, 3 was pretty well-received apart from people who were upset with the game's big twist, and 5 isn't so much hated as just a big "meh" from everyone. For the record I liked both of those two (5 a bit less due to some disappointing aspects), I didn't like 4 though, despite finishing it
    Well, that may he true, but it's also not exactly an unexpected response based on what I've seen. It seems that the hatedoms for each game are separate, but that they are nonetheless substantial and vocal for each. So while I would expect someone who hates SO IV to downplay the hatred for SO V or SO III, I'd similarly expect someone who really hates SO V to say SO IV was actually good.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Star Ocean itself is kind of a mixed bag, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who loves the whole franchise. I've never given SOIV a fair shake. I've only played enough to know that I'll have to switch to Japanese audio if I really want to make it through the game. I didn't mind SOIII like a lot of people did. Of anything, my bigger gripes were with the new crafting mechanics and the plot is pretty slow paced which is not exactly new to the series.

SO1, or at least the PSP remake of it, is the entry I've had the most trouble finishing. It was revamped with SOII's mechanics, but it's obvious this was a cut and paste job so there is a lot of balancing issues that make it apparent the devs didn't think this one through. The story is even more meandering than usual for the series but I'll chock that up to early installment weirdness. SOII is usually everyone's favorite unless they started with the later entries. It's hardly perfect, and many of the gripes I mentioned above can easily be applied to it as well. I feel it's best strength compared to the rest of the series is that it's larger and more varied cast of playable characters make it more tolerable. I have a real difficult time picking out a favorite character from all of the other installments, but I do like a lot of SOII's cast.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I did really like Star Fox Adventures when I owned it as a kid. I’ve kind of been in the mood to play it lately, but for whatever reason I don’t own it anymore. I feel like at some point when I was a lot younger I lost a lot of my GameCube games.

Star Ocean 4 is the worst RPG I have played to completion. I kinda like SO3 though!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I thought of another one for Pumpkin.

While they certainly are not completely hated, they're both franchises that garner a certain type of player base and are largely ignored or made fun of by most other gamers due to the nature of their content.

Pumpkin much prefers Dead or Alive to most other fighters, and as of right now I'm pretty sure one of the Senran Kagura games remains her favorite beat 'em up.

I can agree with DoA. Since I've played it a lot myself, the fighting system is really fluid and fun. As for Senran Kagura, I only watched her play it, but it did seem like the action was fast paced, and a lot of fun. It looked well made as long as you accepting of the jiggly-ness.

As for me, I think a lot of people have come around on it over the years, but FFX-2 got a lot of hate and I've always really enjoyed it. I describe it as Final Fantasy/Charlie's Angels" with a light hearted feel for 85% percent of the game and a fun mission-based style game and story delivery method. I also really enjoyed the battle mechanics.