Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticise the game you're playing right now!

Default Criticise the game you're playing right now!

Like the 'What are you playing right now thread' but criticise the game(s) in question (in short)!

I'm playing Vagrant Story. The map design gets very confusing midway through the game. Town Center East, City Walls North, Undercity West, I have no clue what's connected to what and how. Doesn't help that the game only uses 3 or 4 colour schemes either!

Your turn

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Legend of Dragoon - Button presses during battle

Life is Strange - Mostly characters I dislike

Earthbound - Not as easy to figure out what to do as I'm used to from modern games

Threads of Fate - Difficult

Bloody Roar 3 - Hard even on easy mode

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm playing Dragon Age: Inquisition on the PS4 (as opposed to the Xbox 360, like last time).

It is a really good, immersive game with a fantastic story and plot, but honestly, the side quests leave something to be desired. About half of the side quests are "find letter, go to location, find item/kill enemy". There's hardly any story beyond that, which is disappointing. The primary companion quests are very well fleshed out, but there is little in the way of conversations with ordinary people.

Dragon Age II had flaws, but the side quests were excellent and really helped you gel with regular people.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Really only able to play for 30 minutes a day or so. Really easy to get burnt out on.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - It would be better if it were an actual Animal Crossing game and your job is how you earned bells. Also, it'd be nice if your clients actually rated the homes you design.

Tomodachi Life - After you get over the randomness and get a few babies, it's p. boring. You can't have gay couples unless you cheat in character creation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dragon Quest V - I get a bit more lost on what to do next than in previous games. It's still the best one yet.

Final Fantasy XII. My first real play through of it. My original complaints with the game and why I gave it up after a few hours are as follows

Strapped down with Titus 2.0. I originally saw Vaan as a whiny needless teenager with a weird idea for outfits

Now I realize he grows pretty quick and isn't nearly as abrasive. And his clothes aren't that bad. When you think about it critically Aladdins outfit was pretty dumb too. Which I'd obviously what they were going for. A vest with no shirt is never a good idea. But whatever

Star Wars rip off. And I didn't even catch things like character archetype mimicry. The cut scenes alone with air ships and armies and stuff. The locations the shots and imagery screamed Star Wars Prequel. Which is not a part of Star Wars you want to copy

Turns out they did a good job with it, surprisingly. The characters fit the bill while still being original and not just carbon copy homage. They did Star Wars better than the prequels

MMO combat system. I thought it was a brainless way to take control away from the user and sacrifice a huge part of the JRPG identity

Obviously I hadn't played many Tales games at that point. Nor KoTOR. Or Dragons Dogma. Or Dragon Age. Or Mass Effect. Or, hell, Persona 3 & 4 do it well too. This just had the weird time bars trying to keep an aspect of ATB

So what's left to still complain about? I don't really hate the license board. I like the character models, personalities, plot, and all this other stuff

The colors and music is pretty low key, bland, light, forgettable. Though I'd rather alright music and art direction than bad music and art direction

I'd just rather some more contrast and vibrancy in the colors and more emotional and memorable music. But still a fanatic game that I didn't give a fair chance to initially

Articles
    Blog Entries

Broken Helix: Terrible gameplay, horrid graphics even for 97, too easy to screw up your entire game, only saving grace are the quirky moments, a somewhat interesting story, and Bruce Campbell as the lead VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Bloody Roar 3 - Hard even on easy mode
    I remember the demo of Bloody Roar 1 kicking my butt back in the day

Blog Entries

I like to save before conversations in adventure games so I can load the game and listen to the responses from the options I didn't choose but in Broken age it takes 3-5 clicks to save and resume playing, and loading requires me to go back to the main menu. I miss the old days where it was f5 double click a file to save and you're already sent back to game, f7 double click to load
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Last of Us: Survivor Difficulty - Smurf me this is hard. There are virtually no pick-ups so I've got barely any ammo. I can hardly craft anything to heal with so I've had to stealth kill my way through the majority of the game. There are lots of difficulty spikes in this game too so a lot of sections have been extensive trial and error.

Plus, I've been trying to get all the optional conversations and I knew there was one next to a billboard but Ellie had already ran on to the next section of the game. So annoying when the game buggers up your trophy and you've done nothing wrong. This game is still awesome though.

FFII - Levelling up magic and weapons in this game takes aaaaaaaaages. I almost don't want to find any more magic tomes as I know I'll have to start the spell at level 1 then spend ages grinding it up to a useable level.

The story has been great though. I much prefer it to the original. It's just a shame I forget parts of it due to the slog of grinding magic and weapons.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Neptunia VII, it's been 9 hours and Uni has just had a cameo. And Vert has had less then that.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - The game is padded all to hell with the treasure map system, completing the map, and the Triforce hunt. I'm sure half my game time is just sailing around and looking for pointless treasure.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Breath of Fire III - No ladies yet Really there's a bit of a learning curve I'm trying to get used to

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Breath of Fire III - No ladies yet
    They're coming.

FF I (iOS)- Holy crap is this easy! It's a joke. Levels pass by the second, the enemies throw boat loads of Gil at you as they die. Marsh Cave, used to be a real biatxh! Not anymore. Later enemies, Cockatrice, Gargoyle, used to Stone the F out of you. No, it was so bad on the NES, they stoned the double F (FF) out of you, and since you were always a "starving student", you didn't have the cash to load up on Soft (now "Golden Needle"). This made the Citadel of Trials a "trial" (even if you had a butt load of Soft, can't use it if you're already "Stoned"). It isn't just these examples, everything in the game seems so "handed over". No, "bent over", ankles clutched, and somehow the body and head are contorted "just so", enabling it to kiss it's a ss goodbye.

I see why the Silver Sword was left out. Anyone who doesn't know of it's unparalleled awesomeness in early game, it turns the Fighter into a total bad a ss before you even get your mitts on the TNT (whatever it's called now). The game is so easy though, it wouldn't even matter. Just more cheese to go with my w(h)ine.

I expected to hunt Warmech for innumerable hours. He was my 3'rd fight on the bridge... My 3'rd freaking fight!!! He stood up to me, for a moment. Chaos took a few swings too, but alas...

It's to be expected though. Games of that time are so unforgiving. They just don't make 'em like they used to. On top of that, they have to take the "used to's" and dilute them too. BS. Anyone else here beat the first few Ninja Gaiden's? OMG!!! To start all over because of a finicky controller button (failed jump, or one into a flying "bird")! Regarding console titles developed by Sony, MS, Nin, they could easily make as much, or more, off of a title with "old school" difficulty based on the increase in OEM controller sales.

Anyhow, I guess the challenge is in the new content? *Dives back in*