Thread: New thread about lady Vamps and Twilight, because nyeh!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Default New thread about lady Vamps and Twilight, because nyeh!

SOMEONE decided that we can't have nice things like an ancient thread about a dumb series of books.

So, we'll have a new one. How many lady mummies have you come across in media? Was there ever a lady swampthing? Purposely non-gendered humanoid monsters?

My monsters need more varied personality/cultural archetypes and some varied genitals too.

My favorite lady monster is probably the Alien queen. No big surprise there. What's some of yours? Where have you seen it done well?

The mummy in The Mummy was a lady mummy. The terrible Tom Cruise version.

My favorite lady monster is probably the Queen of the Damned. There are many lady vampires, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty sure Anne Rice has that trope somewhere in her books, since she's written so many. Then again, she seems mostly concerned with vampire/vampire relations and her vampires are really essentially asexual, so who can really say. Someone who's read more than one Vampire Chronicles book, probably.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Rice's Pandora is the best. Underrated.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    SOMEONE decided that we can't have nice things like an ancient thread about a dumb series of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Stay away. The men are talking about lady characters. Clearly you have no business here.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not a film/book but Suikogaiden is a rare video game example as it is heavily implied in the later games that Nash does hook up with the vampire Sierra that he babysits for most of Vol. 1.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

One of the interesting things about Twilight to this day is it has kind of become an albatross that follows its readers around.

If you were a teenager who read this teen lit series (gasp), and someone who knew about it is still in your life, there's a chance you've been dragged for it over the years. Either when giving your thoughts on newer books or referencing something not even book related from back in the day, you may have heard "Yeah? Well, you liked Twilight sooooooo".

Not gonna name any names. Freya

This is a pretty good video. In it the person talks about how the vitriol leveled against Twilight isn't in proportion to how average the material was, societal views on predominantly female entertainment, as well as how chill Stephenie Meyer was about not going after the 50 Shades of Grey author for copyright infringement.

Criticism against the author for her success was pretty unfounded, as well. She was basically a mom who had a dream about two teens in the woods, decided to finish that dream in book form, and was thrust into a multi million dollar movie deal. A lot came at her at once.

I'll finish this off by outing myself and giving a few random thoughts:

-I had a Team Edward hoodie that sparkled
    -I was interviewed by my high school newspaper to give my thoughts on Breaking Dawn. I took a dump on it. I was on board for the first 3 books, but the combination of breaking its own canon and having no consequences for character actions really put me off.
    -The baseball scene still slaps
    -Credit where credit's due, in Breaking Dawn Part 2 they did deliver a great ending fight scene. Even if it was just a vision, it was better than the book alternative to just have a 30 v 30 PvP session where people just sat around talking.
    -I still want to read Midnight Sun, which is Twilight from Edward's perspective. After finishing her gender-swapped version of Twilight, Meyer considered writing it. But again, thanks to 50 shades blatantly ripping off this concept with the release of 50 shades from Christian Grey's perspective around that time, she decided to keep the project on hiatus.
    -Paramore's contribution to the soundtrack at that time are still 2 of my favorite tracks from that time period.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The vitriol being disproportionate to it's averageness likely has something to do with its success being disproportionate to its averageness. Just a thought. Tough of the movies were any indication (never read the books), it was a lot worse than just being mediocre.

I'd never hate the author for that though. Not their fault all that tripe became so popular. It took millions of people for that mistake to happen.

But seriously I don't care what someone's liked as a teen and I really don't care enough about the series to really hate it. It's just something I found to be not good on almost any level. Not like I spend my days stewing about how bad it was.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Okay okay. No. I've seen the Lindsay Ellis video, I agree with that part.

My issue wasn't that people were liking media aimed at girls or anything. It was the vampires yo. I was reading a ton of urban fantasy at the time they were coming out. Ones with vampires and werewolves and the like and female protagonists. But Meyers' version of those tropes were just so..... lame. So I hated them because they were, in my teen eyes, the worst representation you could have of vampires. So it was more me shouting, "there are better vampire books you fools!" rather than "supernatural romance for teens is bad!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bold of you to refer to Hugo-award nominee, the High Queen of Online Media Discourse, the esteemed Lindsay Ellis as "the person", LWL.

Speaking of, all you vampire lovers should go check out Elisa Hansen's (Lindsay's bestie) youtube channel. It's dedicated exclusively to vampire media and it is awesome.

Twilight is terrible though

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Okay that's fine. This thread is fine.

Let's hear more people's favorite non-generic/non-standard monster gender archetypes!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Twilight is my guilty pleasure movie. There, I said it.