Thread: The Metroid Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Metroid Thread

I thought I'd make a thread for us to talk about all things Metroid.

I was introduced to the series through Fusion and Prime in the early 2000s, but I first saw Samus Aran in Super Smash Brothers. I never played any of the games up to that point, so I didn't know she was actually a female until later. Since then I have collected the original Metroid which is on Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid II Return of Samus, Super Metroid, Fusion, and Prime. My favorites are:

1.) Super Metroid
    2.) Metroid Fusion
    3.) Metroid Zero Mission
    4.) Metroid Prime

Your turn.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have the first three entries and knew about the series since I was a kid. Super Metroid was the first one I owned but I played the original Metroid before that. I've played Fusion and a bit of the Prime series as well but wasn't impressed enough to go out of my way to pick either up. Been tempted by Other M just to see if it's as terrible as everyone says it is.

Super Metroid is easily my favorite entry in the series and really gave me an Aliens vibe for my childhood gaming needs.

I'm a pretty big fan of the series, with Prime and Super being my favorite entries. Haven't played the 2 remake on the 3DS yet, though, nor the fan remake, which I hear was fantastic -- Samus has actually been my minecraft skin for a few years now. Makes me wonder if there is a good metroid skin, though. Hmmm.

I'm glad to hear they got Retro back for Prime 4, though I'm not sure where they are going to go story line with it -- I kind of want a Samus vs. the Federation game. Or a playable Space Pirate, that'd be pretty cool. Maybe a mode like Hunk in RE2, where you start at the end and are trying to escape? And Samus is out to get you SA-X style, only in first person? Hell yeah. Get an Alien Isolation vibe, only you are the Alien hiding from a human instead. xD

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

The only ones I've played all the way through are:

Metroid
    Metroid II:Return of Samus
    Super Metroid

and this the Samus I know.

New zero suit Samus is pretty and shapely, and her suit has built in high heels for some reason, and there's nothing automatically wrong with any of that, but there's plenty of video game women like that. Samus in her powersuit is interesting and unique, and all-the-more memorable for being a muscular, large, no nonsense mercenary first, and foremost.

They can try and retro-actively change it all they want, but that idea of Samus is just more interesting to me.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's hard to compare Prime and the 2D Metroid since they are very different to play. I prefer the 2D games and in fact have the same ranking as Ayen, but the Prime games are also fun. The original Metriod is also very cool for its time though it has been outclassed by the perfection of the mechanics in later entries.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    The only ones I've played all the way through are:

Metroid
    Metroid II:Return of Samus
    Super Metroid

and this the Samus I know.

New zero suit Samus is pretty and shapely, and her suit has built in high heels for some reason, and there's nothing automatically wrong with any of that, but there's plenty of video game women like that. Samus in her powersuit is interesting and unique, and all-the-more memorable for being a muscular, large, no nonsense mercenary first, and foremost.

They can try and retro-actively change it all they want, but that idea of Samus is just more interesting to me.
    I did not know Samus was that tall and muscular under the suit (the old sprites don't make it very obvious). Funny that they've spent so much time putting her in skintight outfits with heels lately because she's basically wonder woman under there and that's way more attractive.

Anyway I've played super Metroid, the GBA titles, and Prime. I like the 2d ones well enough but I hated Prime so much. Way too much backtracking for me on a map that was much too large for it and it also just wasn't a very interesting world to me and I hate a first person action title with lots of shooting not giving me proper first person aiming. Might appeal to people who aren't fps fans but it always just feels completely wrong and cumbersome to me. You honestly couldn't pay me to ever play any of the prime titles again.