While some concepts can be innovative and implement "outside the box"-thinking (a map made of text blocks explored by a single "letter"), not every game can be a unique little butterfly. Eventually, most games are gonna start to feel very familiar if you have nothing more important to do than examine their similarities. But many titles leave this sense of "lingering" like an empty "tickle" taunting you.

This has nothing to do with mechanics or graphics although both can lend to stirring the pot in which this emotion simmers. This has everything to do with plot but, more accurately, story. There's more here than they could say with just one game, you think to yourself. While movies have done similar things to egg on a potential franchise, often games just suffer a stricter limit of time and resources so putting out a continuation of a story is farthest from their minds.

(ranting)Unlike video games, I am a unique butterfly. Their are far too many naysayers in the world. "Sequels, remakes, spinoffs, spiritual successors - it's all just franchising. Franchising is just all about the quick cash grabs." And yes the QCG can result in "bad" stuff if the producers don't care about the quality of what they're putting out. But just because a game is receiving an "addition" pf some kind, doesn't mean it will be of any less quality by default.

I also personally do not agree with those who say that games with a main story arc which has been neatly wrapped up with a pretty bow is finished and finding out what happens next will just ruin what we've already experienced.

I am a major enthusiast for epic story-telling. That's what the MCU is. That's what Kingdom Hearts is (admittedly, not the best example). Of course, it's a matter of taste. I used to write short stories and now I'm in the habit of combining everything I've ever written into one cohesive universal timeline.

Nevertheless, I value the continuation of stories even if the original writers meant to leave us with a final box to "theorize" over what's in it (what did it all mean? What caused it? What will happen next?)

I don't mind if the same studio never gives us an answer. I will gladly play anything that is suggested to answer questions I have about a game I played previously.

I personally feel there are too many stand-alone games whose stories I want to experience more of (background, fate).

Anyone in agreement or does my statement about being unique hold more water than initially believed? What games need continuation? (no matter what form that takes)