Thread: Favorite "Ultimate" Spell?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nom nom nom Favorite "Ultimate" Spell?

FF has always had a few ultimate spells in each game whether it's the iconic Meteor and Holy, the underrated Flare and Apocalypse, or just tried and true Ultima. So which Ultimate spell is your favorite to acquire and see? No summons allowed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

They honestly just kind of blend into one another for me. Usually I just spam whichever one is the most powerful in a given game and don't really give a crap. Ultima stands out for just being incredibly annoying in FFII, though.

Meteo always and forever. It was my first FF ultimate and will alway be my favorite (and I don't care if it was because of character limitations in the SNES port, it will always be "Meteo" to me). Ultima is just too boring. The ultimate nature is right in the name, which makes it a little too on the nose without any clear actual phenomena associated with it and the effect is typically pretty lame looking. Nicely, even when Ultima is considered more "ultimate," Meteor is often the better spell in later entries due to the multi-hit nature overcoming damage caps. Plus, Meteo, as far as I know, is the only ultimate spell that really features prominently in the plot of a game. Summons often feature prominently, but I don't remember any other spell being treated with such significance in the plot of a game as Meteo is in FFIV (and arguably, also FFVII - arguably even more so in FFVII, but then I would have to concede Holy is treated with equal significance).

I like all of them, but I think I'll go with Meteor because that's the only one that is part of a plot, in FFIV. I really like the fact that it's included in the story like this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva95 View Post
    I like all of them, but I think I'll go with Meteor because that's the only one that is part of a plot, in FFIV. I really like the fact that it's included in the story like this.
    *cries in Minwu*

Well Ultima is sort of included in FFIX story as well, since Trance Kuja uses it to destroy whole Bran Bal in FMV.

FF1 Haste.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll second Meteor from FFIV as one of my favorites, even if the actual spell is nowhere near as useful as Bahamut. Ultima from VI is my other favorite since I feel it best embodies what I imagined a spell like Ultima would look like with a nuclear explosion and lots of rubble in its wake.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FF6 Ultima. Though I somewhat object to it being compared to a nuclear explosion. Though I think the fact it looks so different from an actual explosion might make it scarier looking in a way. Thing could be ripping apart reality for all I know.

Final Fantasy VII Ultima for some reason. That high pitch static green screen always stuck in my head.