Thread: New FFVIIR Trailer Alert!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This looks amazing. Loved seeing Corneo, the Reno/Rude battles, and frog Cloud.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I've watched this trailer so many times. So. Many. Times.

I love how it looks like we fight Reno in the church after Cloud falls through the roof. I did always find it odd that in the original he just stood there waiting for Cloud and Aerith to plot their escape. I mean, Reno, your target is right there. Go and get her!

Also the hologram of President ShinRa in the reactor is a nice addition. I mean if you were the president of a multi billion gil mega corporation that has a stronghold on the world would you really turn up to say hello/goodbye to a bunch of anti-corp terrorists?! Plus he brands the party as "allies of Wutai". The fact that Wutai is mentioned so early on is great and I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Also, it looks like Tifa is going to be helping out with the Cross Dressing sequence instead of it just being a bonding moment between Cloud and Aerith
    I think that might be a different scene due to the trailer being out of context. Tifa shouldn't be there, the whole reason Cloud & Aerith dress up is to get in to Don Corneos to save Tifa. Of course they might have changed it up a bit, but if they have that would mean Tifa & Aerith would have had to have met each other and gone to Wall Market before the fight with air Buster and I can't see that happening.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Also, it looks like Tifa is going to be helping out with the Cross Dressing sequence instead of it just being a bonding moment between Cloud and Aerith
    I think that might be a different scene due to the trailer being out of context. Tifa shouldn't be there, the whole reason Cloud & Aerith dress up is to get in to Don Corneos to save Tifa. Of course they might have changed it up a bit, but if they have that would mean Tifa & Aerith would have had to have met each other and gone to Wall Market before the fight with air Buster and I can't see that happening.[/QUOTE]

It looks like they changed it so Tifa is gonna be a part of that. Maybe they just want to sneak into Corneo's place to get the dirt on Shinra's plan, as that was Tifa's initial reason for going anyways.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_doll View Post
    It looks like they changed it so Tifa is gonna be a part of that. Maybe they just want to sneak into Corneo's place to get the dirt on Shinra's plan, as that was Tifa's initial reason for going anyways.
    Yeah, you're both probably right in regards to that. I mean thinking about Tifa seemed to have gotten herself captured almost too quickly after the fall. The game is going to be a lot longer so maybe Cloud will take Aerith to Seventh Heaven after going to Aerith's house.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Looks like everything I expected it to be so far, though I'm not a fan of the voice acting, hope that gets changed. Also seems like we have the option to save Biggs, Wedge and Jessie, assuming they didn't just completely change the story around. And a new SOLDIER character? Not sure how to feel about this, I just hope he's nowhere near as bad as the ones introduced in Crisis Core.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Oh yes, it's far more corny than the original script and its Shakespearean dialogue. "Let's mosey" is up there with the classic.
    That's not even the worst of the original's mistranslations. Also when has a Final Fantasy game NOT had corny dialogue?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

See, the thing is, as I replayed the games a couple years ago, all the previous FFs had very good retranslations, and starting with 8 even the original translations are at the very least incredibly competent. As of right now, FFVII stands out with the absolute worst translation of the bunch. Corny dialogue aside, there is literally no consistency, Cait Sith starts talking with a southern drawl at one point for no reason and that's never mentioned again, and from disc two onwards some lines of dialogue are downright incomprehensible. This was this weird moment between Ted Woolsey and Alexander O. Smith, because it wasn't until VII's success that SE realized "hey, maybe we actually need a dedicated localization team with professional translators who know what they're doing." Woolsey was really the exception rather than the rule before this.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    See, the thing is, as I replayed the games a couple years ago, all the previous FFs had very good retranslations, and starting with 8 even the original translations are at the very least incredibly competent. As of right now, FFVII stands out with the absolute worst translation of the bunch. Corny dialogue aside, there is literally no consistency, Cait Sith starts talking with a southern drawl at one point for no reason and that's never mentioned again, and from disc two onwards some lines of dialogue are downright incomprehensible. This was this weird moment between Ted Woolsey and Alexander O. Smith, because it wasn't until VII's success that SE realized "hey, maybe we actually need a dedicated localization team with professional translators who know what they're doing." Woolsey was really the exception rather than the rule before this.
    Decided to check out Ted Woolsey on Wikipedia (which I know is hardly a reliable source) but it says on there that the last game he translated for Square was Super Mario RPG? It says he left before the English localization of FFVII began?

Sorry I was speaking relative to the remake, when cloud_doll said "But why does the dialogue have to be so corny!" I'm very well aware of the OG FF7 translation's myriad of problems, not just the disjointed dialogue but the ridiculous amounts of typos and grammatical errors ("This guy are sick", "Beacause, you are...a puppet", "Off course!") and the remake's newly translated dialogue looks to be an improvement over that, and doesn't seem to be any worse or cornier than that of any other Final Fantasy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Decided to check out Ted Woolsey on Wikipedia (which I know is hardly a reliable source) but it says on there that the last game he translated for Square was Super Mario RPG? It says he left before the English localization of FFVII began?
    I think he's actually dropped off the localization scene back in the 90s, actually. We owe a hell of a lot to him, with games like FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana to his credit. I think all this is all the more impressive when you consider that he didn't even get a script of the games he translated - he just had to translate and jot down his translations in a notebook. And then he had to fit his translated text into the text boxes, adhere to Nintendo's policies at the time... With what little tools he had at his disposal, the guy did an amazing job and I miss him.

For other cool translator dudes, check out Alexander O. Smith, Richard Honeywood, and Tom Slattery