Thread: Kitase discusses what he wants for a Remake

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moomba Kitase discusses what he wants for a Remake

Kitase was recently asked about what he thought of doing a remake for FFVIII and while he loves the idea, it seems he's not as interested in doing it himself. Instead, he hopes the younger staff members will opt to do it instead. He's only doing VII because it's his personal favorite entry and he wanted to see the game redone with current technology while he still worked for Square-Enix. Whether that has a chance of happening is unknown and I'm sure no one will really discuss it until the VII Remake is closer to full completion.

So what are your thoughts, and what would you like to see most in a VIII Remake?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, I'd be fine with the idea, but considering that we're probably not going to see a new numbered FF until VII is complete in all of its parts (which will probably take years), I'd rather SE not put all of their focus on another huge remake instead of giving us FFXVI.

Ball of Pure being sephirothishere's Avatar

It's already perfect.

Sephiro this here.

Honestly, this seems like such a throwaway nothing interview. You ask leading questions, you'll get some kind of response. My takeaway is that an FF8 remake is far from Kitase's mind. He's basically just saying that some day a younger generation may decide to remake itl. It's not like he could ultimately stop that even if he wanted to.

The younger staff doing the remake sounds fine.

As I've said in other threads, I think FF7R would still be a good game if it wasn't FF7. If this is a safe way of thinking for them, then I think maybe whatever road their brains lead them down would probably be good for FFXVI. And maybe limiting their scope like that would keep it from getting as bloated and off-the-rails as FFXV became. As long as it feels inspired by, and like a spiritual successor, and not just "Here's FF8 but all the names are changed". Which would just feel cheap and pointless

I still have trouble trusting Squeenix to come up with something wholly original that's actually good these days. I'm glad they're putting their training wheels back on. They've needed it

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

It would depend on how they handle adding extra stuff to fill in the gaps like they have in FF7R. I like some of their extras, like giving us more individual SOLDIERS, but introducing Sephiroth so soon into the game really took away from his larger than life power that the original gave him.

If they did that with Edea or Adel, I'd be pretty sad.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sephirothishere View Post
    It's already perfect.
    Doesn't stop it getting a remake in my opinion - remakes (and all types of new versions) are mainly to get an alternative version in my opinion, not a better one.

It would be nice if there could be more stuff for the other characters that aren't Squall and Rinoa, as much as I like them. It would be cool if there were more sub-games as well. That's what I'd add if I was remaking it.