Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: EoFF D&D Game (15th March!)

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The basic rules are freely available here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

But, uh, they're a little long. There's a lot of videos flying around, and you can also watch videos of groups of people actually playing eg Critical Role to get the general vibe too.

For reference:

Bubba - Half-Elf Bard
    Del Murder - Human Rogue
    DK - Tiefling Warlock
    Jinx - Dwarf Barbarian
    Shauna - Gnome Wizard

We're a liiiiiittle light on the physical combat aspect and Bubba is the best healer but beyond that I think there's a good set up.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Pick the same classes you enjoy in vidya RPGs and might enjoy roleplaying as? RP'ing should be a much larger aspect of a campaign than in video games. So you might want think about the type of personality/background/etc that sounds fun to play to you.

DnD can be a lot of different things, but in my experience it works out to be a combination of this joint effort by the forum, and numbers based combat/interaction/exploration/skill development.

Since this is a short, single-shot campaign, it might work out to be a lot more combat focused than normal. That's not how it has to be. It could be largely a puzzle, or something more based on the social aspect of people-problem solving.

If you're new, picking a magic user class or other classes with several different resources to keep track of may feel tedious or over-whelming. There's more paperwork to keep track of. A more straight forward class like fighter or barbarian might be good to get your feet wet with. Don't let that scare you away if you really want to try another class though. It all flows together well once you familiarize yourself with it.

EDIT: Also, barbarian and rogue make good partners. Del and Jinx should have fun working together with a little coordination/communication.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

you went and did it
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm reading through the manual and getting a good sense of how this works. It is very detailed! How much do I need to keep track of on my own and how much is handled through Psy or an app? Should I come up with my own backstory (which I could do) and stats (probably not a good idea!) or will that be done for me? I am used to video games that handle all that stuff for me! As for the rping, combat, and making decisions, I believe I got the gist of it. It does look like Rogue plays pretty straightforwardly so I appreciate giving me something I can handle. And yes, it seems mandatory that I go for Enforcer.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Keep rolling until you get 18 in every stat. It’s the only way to play.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I'm reading through the manual and getting a good sense of how this works. It is very detailed! How much do I need to keep track of on my own and how much is handled through Psy or an app? Should I come up with my own backstory (which I could do) and stats (probably not a good idea!) or will that be done for me? I am used to video games that handle all that stuff for me! As for the rping, combat, and making decisions, I believe I got the gist of it. It does look like Rogue plays pretty straightforwardly so I appreciate giving me something I can handle. And yes, it seems mandatory that I go for Enforcer.
    I've used the standard formula for stats and rolled everyone's character sheet for them. I'll send them all round to everyone shortly. As for backstory, yes, go for it! You'll see a few personality traits are on the character sheet but you can be as flexible as you want with it.

You will be keeping track of your character yourself, so things like HP, how many arrows you have, amount of gold etc. However, the system we're doing lets you input that and track it somewhere so you don't have to use pen and paper (unless you want to!)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So is it fair to assume this is going to be more silly than serious in tone?

Articles

Indeed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

with the idiots who are doing it?

yeah, i think so

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

when i did d&d with chibi youkai she skinned a giant rat for me because i wanted rat meat

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Lol, fun times. We should do another session sometime. But yeah, it's 100% sure that I won't be able to make it, sadly. Blame work.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    with the idiots who are doing it?

yeah, i think so
    Yeah I was gonna say I couldn't imagine a serious D&D session happening with Jinx around. With you being a dwarf barbarian I can imagine how things are gonna go.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

In my experience, the best DnD sessions aren't the ones that become completely serious, or devolve into a complete troutshow of trying to undermine the DM's overall plans for the campaign.

Especially since this will be Pauw's first DMing endeavor, I'd encourage him to play it fast and loose and encourage the players to try and come up with creative solutions or unexpected actions within reason. Within reason relates entirely to the group dynamic, so it's a lot like feeling out the vibe at a party.

I've heard about situations that seemed pretty mild to me that created a giant rift among friends, and I've heard about complete de-railings of campaigns that everyone found to be hilarious and fantastic.

Just don't go into it with the purposeful intent of being a jerk or being a contrarian about everythiong and it should be a great time! The main thing is to have fun and laugh. DnD is great with the right group.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 11-22-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, I think it’s fairly safe to say we shouldn’t be dicks to each other if we want this to be fun for everyone

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Don't worry, I only intend to undermine Psy's plans up to a reasonable limit.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum