Thread: Ayen's Reviews #3: Evil Zone

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Ayen's Reviews #3: Evil Zone

Evil Zone is a versus fighting game developed by Yuke's Future Media Creators and published by Titus Interactive for the Sony PlayStation console. Released to North America on May 31, 1999 and has became a cult classic ever since its initial release. Without further ado, let dive into Evil Zone.

Get set? Is this a fight or a race?

Evil Zone has simple game mechanics compared to most fighters. You're not trying to string together a bunch of combos to get the upper-hand on your opponent. Instead a lot of your attacks involve the triangle button and D-Pad. With simple projectiles being with the triangle button while the D-Pad go through different moves, like stun moves and specials, that can help you beat your opponent. You can even hold down triangle to charge up a finisher that can deal enough damage to end your opponent if their health is low enough. To block just push the square button. You can even break out of specials if you time your pressing of the block button well enough when your opponent is using a special on you.

Why can't people just have normal hair colors?

Evil Zone has ten playable characters. One that you can unlock by playing through the story mode, and the other nine being playable right out of the gate. Technically there are eleven characters, but one is an ally to one of the ten playable characters.

You have Danzaiver, Al, Keiya, Erel, Midori, Setsuna, Gally "Vanish" Gregman, Lie, Kakurine, and Ihadulca. Each character has one alternate costume you can select in versus mode, and a second set that you can unlock later in the game. Each character has their own story mode and unique personality that makes them stand out. Each with their own move list, finisher, and stage dedicated to their character. Karen is the eleventh character I mentioned and is a spirit that assists Setsuna in her story. They have a kind of close knitted friendship/lesbian hints relationship.

Japanese triplets. Now that's just scary.

Each character story is presented as a new program coming to TV. With ten episodes overall. Meaning that through the story each character comes into contact with their double. Each character represents a different genre of show. Like Danzaiver being your V.R. Trooper, or Setsuna being more like a shojo. Which means 'girl' in Japanese. Before each fight the character voices a preview of the next battle/episode and then we go to a cut-scene before and after each fight that tells a different narrative with some characters being connected like Kakurine and Ihadulca.

Disposing the body, huh?

While the game isn't based off of any anime in Japan, it is heavily anime inspired. With the opening being hand-drawn anime and the closing scenes during the credits being animated. Another factor of the game is the voice acting. There's some melodrama in the game, but that's natural for Japanese games being dubbed to English. And I have to say something about the dubbing. The dubbing is horrible.

There will be moments where the character is clearly still speaking, but no sound is coming out of their mouth. I don't know if it's because of how speech is determined in Japanese compared to English, or what, but the voice syncing to the lips is just gosh darn terrible. If you can look pass that though, the game is pretty darn incredible for what it is.

All that armor and you're still being sliced up.

Overall the game has a simple 'pick up and play' vibe to it that isn't daunting to new players looking for something fun to play. The game shows that the fighting genre can have good story and characterization and the anime inspiration is a nice treat for anybody who loves anime. Despite being twenty years old, I still recommend this game for anyone who loves fighting games and don't mind simplicity.

Get it!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Evil Zone was such a treat, an awful fighter, but a creative mess I could really dig. I love the fact that the whole cast are more or less stereotypes from other popular games and series.

You forgot to mention the fact that beating the game with certain characters unlocks a dossier about them and their move sets which are insanely detailed and actually fill in their real backstories. I swear the devs were originally going to make an anime out of this before they had to settle on it being a game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I knew I forgot something, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

I think an anime of this would've been cool.