Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you were a kid, what did you imagine doing when you grew up?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Question When you were a kid, what did you imagine doing when you grew up?

What was your dream job etc.?

And where have you ended up?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I wanted to be a doctor.

I work in the tax office.

What a diversion my life took.

i wanted to either be a writer, a farmer (romantic outdoors ideas in my head - didnt occur to me that farming is actually hard), or some kind of spy james bond type travelling the world.

i work in computers, rarely go outside, and only write as a hobby. in fact, part of my job is purposefully writing my work at an average standard of quality, so they dont make me write more reports.

computer work pays ok tho, so it means ive been able to do some basic travelling. im not a spy though and the closest ive gotten to james bond is my misogynistic and dated view on the womenfolk

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

I wanted to be an astronaut. Then I found out that I was blind and sucked at math. Then I wanted to be a linguist, and my high school teachers couldn't be bothered to write me a couple recommendations to a guaranteed scholarship. Now I'm an IT with a side of radio and satellite communications. And still suck at math. Not sure how it works, but it somehow does.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For most of my childhood, I wanted to be an astronomer. My mom probably still has stuff from my elementary years stating that. I toyed with the idea of professional soccer player as well, but my desire to be an astronomer was pretty consistent until middle school when I wanted to be a teacher. Now I work in a mall and don’t know what I want to do.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I always found the idea of going out into the world really terrifying, from early childhood into my teens, so I always thought if I could just not starve to death that would be cool. I fell ass backwards into pharmacy and it's paying the bills well enough and always throws something new at me, which is fun. Could do with less patients acting like they're ordering a big mac instead of life saving drugs. Like, no Karen we probably won't mix up the zydus brand warfarin with the zydus brand paroxetine if we go faster but is "probably" really good enough for making sure you don't accidentally ingest literal rat poison?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I wanted to be a teacher or a writer. Being a teacher is out cause the pay is atrocious and i'd be in poverty.

The writer thing, I'm still working on. I work in Municipality accounting now so that's... fun and nowhere close.

I wanted desperately to never have to be employed, but I failed.

The first job I remember ever wanting to have was a pet store owner. I like animals, but I didn't want to be a vet as I knew seeing sick or dying ones would make me too sad. Ended up abandoning this because it's very financially risky and more responsibility than I think I could handle, though the idea of being my own boss is still very attractive.

The next thing I remember wanting to be is a teacher, for no other reason that I like school and got along okay with my sibling's friends. I knew the pay wasn't that great but I was always told the benefits package would make up for it and secure my retirement...until our governor destroyed collective bargaining and made becoming a teacher financial suicide.

The last occupation idea I've entertained is a librarian as I like reading and quiet and do an okay job of navigating computers. But for some reason this requires a Master's Degree (6 years of higher education) and in my state if you want to be a school librarian as opposed to a public one you have to have a teaching degree as well. Which is a pretty big time and financial sink for another job that doesn't really pay that great and may end up obsolete in my lifetime due to the digital age.

I'm currently a cashier going for an Elementary education degree that I'm not even sure if I want simply because I don't know what else to do. I'm hoping to get a masters in library sciences on top of it so I can be a librarian after all, but realistically it's unlikely that I'll be able to afford to. My life stinks.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think when I was really young I wanted to be a professional footballer. Unfortunately, one of the prerequisites for being a footballer is that you have to be good at football.

When I was a bit older and I'd started playing computer games, I wanted to be a games tester. Weirdly, the role I'm in now (UAT Test Analyst) gives me the necessary experience to move into one of these jobs. A lot of them are down south though and I'm happy enough where I am.

Writer. Still working on that.

I started drumming in my teens - had a drum set when i was younger but it was sold back quite quickly, then i lost my crap acoustic set and only have a digital set left.

Longterm im interested in learning to code so I can get some of my design ideas going with some my writing and music.

Pretty sure I wanted to be a forensic scientist. Now I'm a lab analyst who works with sewage.

I guess I went in the right general direction

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

As a lad I aspired to be a comma. Not just any comma, mind you, but an oxford comma. I wanted that good life. But as it turns out I wasn't cut out for that line of work. It was too much pressure. I was always butting in where I wasn't needed, that is if I bothered showing up at all. I'm not even allowed within 900 feet of quadruple digit numbers anymore. After being mistaken for an apostrophe I knew it was time to hang up my hat. Now I work in sales. I run my own department distributing nuts and bolts to a refrigerator manufacturer. It's honest work.

Honestly, for the first 10 years of my life, I wanted to become a Pokemon trainer.
    This signature reeks of Moogle.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

I still want to be a pokemon trainer. If fate suddenly dropped me into a world filled with pokemon, I wouldn't look back.
    Last edited by Chibi Youkai; 11-14-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Spelling