Thread: Joker

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Joker

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this yet. So who has seen the controversial film? What did you think? Do you feel we need a sequel? Where does Joaquin Phoenix's Joker stand against the other Jokers in cinema?

It's great. I haven't followed any of the controversy, so I don't know about that. I know weird internet people love the Joker character but that's about it. It's kinda the virgin version of the punisher skull that fashy cops like and appears on all these facebook profiles pics? Idgi.

I don't watch a lot of superhero movies because the good:garbage ratio makes it not worth the time for me. So, can't really compare Joker performances other than Nicholson, Ledger, Phoenix. All entirely different actors performing (almost) entirely different characters.

No sequel needed. Superhero movies are still somehow a cash cow, but rarely is quality considered - I don't see any reason to weaken this movie with a sequel.

Phoenix might be one of the greatest living actors. It was the quietest movie audience I've seen in the cinema in a long time - Phoenix took everyone in that theater from his first scene and kept them the whole time. Excellent performance.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

While I'm glad I saw it, I don't know if I want to rewatch it any time soon. It's one of those like Schindler's List and Green Mile where you come out of it feeling bad.

It was interesting to track my own feelings as they shifted from empathy for poor Arthur to revulsion of the Joker - when was the line crossed? They also did a good job of capturing that grimy 80's feel and it built that sense of unease and tension.

It could've stood alone without any of the DC and Batman elements but I guess having those in there have contributed to its box office domination so I can't blame them.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would. I thought it was pretty well made, and I liked the interesting shift of feeling empathetic to a bit repulsed. It is unfortunate the way some people have identified with the Joker, but I haven’t personally seen too much of people holding him up as a hero.

The way some people are questioning if anything in the movie even really happened gave me an idea for it they do Joker sequels. My coworkers and I have talked about how if they do Joker sequels, they should all be origin stories that are completely different from each other, framed as maybe him telling others about his origins.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It was decent and Phoenix was great as he always is, but I did wonder what all the fuss was about in the end, it's nothing amazing. All the hysteria before it came out about how it might incite incels to go on the rampage was horribly irresponsible too.

They shouldn't make a sequel but they will now it's made so much money.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

If there is one thing Hollywood is known for, I think we can all agree that it is letting financially successful films just stand on their own without bleeding every last possible drop out of the name through unnecessary sequels.