Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Final Fantasy game?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo What is the best Final Fantasy game?

We're about to enter a new decade, so let's look back on the past and vote on what each of us feels is the best Final Fantasy game.

It's FF6, but some people might have other favorite ones despite that.

I also think it's FFVI for its story, for its characters and the possibilities we can do for them and for its music. I'm really hoping for a remake after FFVII's one.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Definitely XIV, though sadly many people won't even give it a chance because it's an MMORPG.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Still Final Fantasy X. I do like some others a great deal (especially those that are just outright fun to play), others less, but FFX is the one game in the series that remains a genuinely great game to me continuously.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still VI and XII. At least if we’re talking strictly about the numbered games, because the entire Tactics subseries is where my heart truly lies.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Still VI and XII. At least if we’re talking strictly about the numbered games, because the entire Tactics subseries is where my heart truly lies.
    Spin-offs and sequels count for this thread.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The PS1 era was where they perfected the formula imho and the three of them are really much of a muchness in terms of quality. You could make the point that IX was the best of the three because of the graphics and sound quality, although I prefer the plot, characters and setting of VII.

Objectively, 8. The graphics, style and music are top notch. The characters are great. The world is beautiful, and deep. There are some plot elements that were slightly lacking but I think that can be said about any FF, and most games in general.

It's definitely FFVII for me. I went back and forth on this during the PSX era among 7, 8, and 9, but ultimately in the long view I settled on FFVII and it's stuck. FFVIII wins out on characters for me, because of how well developed Squall was and how great Laguna was, but FFVII still has some great characters and overall has the best plot/theme. It's also more fun to play, because the system is really simple and straightforward. As much as I defend the Junction system against naysayers, the Materia system works better for me overall and doesn't lead me into going through a bunch of triple triad/carding enemies early on to power up.

Also, in reference to this thread's topic, why was there never (I shouldn't say never but at least in recent history) an FF game tournament? The past few RPG tournaments went through pains to exclude either FF games, specifically, or all SE games in general. Seems like FF games deserve their fair shot at a contest as well.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 01-12-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Also, in reference to this thread's topic, why was there never (I shouldn't say never but at least in recent history) an FF game tournament? The past few RPG tournaments went through pains to exclude either FF games, specifically, or all SE games in general. Seems like FF games deserve their fair shot at a contest as well.
    There was one a few years before you joined. The reason why I didn't feel like running one recently was because I know the forum well enough to know where it would go. One of the Power QuartetVI, VII, IX, and Tactics would win in the end. So it's not as interesting for me to run one. Those style of tournaments tend to be more fun when concerning the smaller titles. Like I would imagine with who is still active, that VIII, XII, and XIV would probably all fair way better if we ran one now since a lot of the dissenters for the first two are gone, and a lot of the active people still left on the forum play the third one. Course they would still probably lose to the Power Quartet when one of them inevitably finds itself up against them. With the remake due in two months, I'd bet good money that VII would ultimately take the whole tournament.

If you want to run a tournament about it, I would say go for it. As for me, I think if I was to do another event, I'd rather revive the FF Census.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

FFXIV, wow what a comeback. This latest expansion could have been a single player FF.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Final Fantasy Tactics. Nearly flawless game in terms of characters, storyline, replayability and music. The ultimate extension of the job system in FFV. Since I love customizing my character classes, this game appeals to me greatly. The only thing the iOS version lacks is the coop mode, but the unique items you would've won are still available through other means.

Sticking to just the numbered games and direct sequels, I'd say FFVIII. I love the story, characters, summons, design ethic, and music. I found playing it a very emotionally satisfying experience.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

FFVII. Best game of all time.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't know. It's been so long since I've played any of them I don't know if they any of them hold up as well as they do in my memory.