Thread: Karifean's Modern Guide to Ys

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Moomba Karifean's Modern Guide to Ys

Introduction

Welcome to my Modern Guide to Ys. Ys (pronounced much like the English word 'ease') is a series of action JRPG by developer Nihon Falcom dating back to the late 80s that still goes on to this day, with Ys IX having been released in Japan just a couple months ago. The series entries have seen numerous remakes and rereleases over the years - this guide aims to be a guide not to veterans of old but to people like me, who have only recently gotten into the series and need an overview and perhaps some recommendations.

Why am I making this guide? Three reasons: One is to spread the word about this great series. Ever since I started playing the games less than two years ago they've risen to being some of my favorite games in the genre, and I want to spread the word. Second is to provide a primer of sorts for people who are interested in the games but don't quite get what they're about or where to start. Half the releases in the series don't have a number attached to them, but the other half do, so it can be rather confusing, I hope to give a comprehensive guide on all that. And finally, just because I love these games and I want an excuse to gush about them for a while.

So what is Ys even about? Broadly speaking, Ys follows the adventurer Adol Christin as he goes on his many adventures to explore the world, along with his trusted sidekick Dogi. He suffers shipwrecks and discovers forgotten civilizations, fights evil demons and ancient species. The series provides a wonderful sense of adventure, backed by Falcom's consistently amazing soundtracks and worldbuilding habits including giving every single NPC in every single game their own character.

But enough prelude. First up, we're going to be starting this guide by starting... at the beginning. Which can be hard to find. But that's what I'm here for. Stay tuned!

Table of Contents

Last edited by Karifean; 01-12-2020 at 12:12 AM.