Thread: WK Plays Final Fantasy Type-0

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok so overall I am enjoying the soundtrack. However, I feel that Takeharu Ishimoto is out of his comfort zone here and it shows. I think he works best in TWEWY, Crisis Core and Dissidia, since it’s clear that heavy metal, pop, and techno is where he truly excels. Some of the symphonic tracks in Type-0 really work, but others not so much, especially the ones where he uses violin midis that just go way hire than any actual violin would never go, so that’s kinda grating to me, though I don’t notice it as much in the game proper. I do like the main theme though and how it’s rearranged in different tracks. It’s got a very strong melody.

My biggest pet peeve with this soundtrack, however, is the world map theme. In isolation, it’s a perfectly fine, very epic track - but why in the smurf is it a rearrangement of the Chocobo theme? The world map theme is supposed to be the main theme, or at least something that drives home the tone of the game, and to use such an iconic theme in the series to play as your main world map theme for a game that’s all about the horrors of war is just... bafflingly distracting? I would’ve adored this track as this game’s Chocobo theme - as a world map theme it‘s just grating

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Oh man yeah! I forgot about the chocobo theme world map. What on earth was that about?!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The OST isn't bad. It's got a nice historical epic feel to it and I like a lot of Ishimoto's arrangement for the Chocobo theme (including the world map) and the Moogle theme. The ending theme was really poignant, especially with that ending. I feel my biggest issue with the OST is that it feels like you only really here about four or five tracks for most of the game, so it didn't take long before I was tuning things out. Not a bad OST, but not something I'm itching to pick up either. I still think The World Ends with You was Ishimoto's best OST. I was never partial to CC's score, and Dissidia was okay, but I've honestly heard better arrangements of some of those FF themes on OCRemix.

Update:

I'm in NG+ still playing on normal Mode so I can tackle the Expert Trials and Crimson Codes without pulling my hair out. Its going by a lot faster as I'm already at Chapter 3. The new plot elements have been good, and (SPOILER)I'm happy we finally got to meet Tiz (Ten) and Joker as I was a little perplexed they were absent from the card motif. I will say that I'm probably going to power through this playthrough as I really want to move onto a few other games at the moment, but I know if I don't do this now, it will be forever before I get back to it.

One final thing I forgot to mention in my overviews is that I do appreciate keeping up with the NPCs in this game. The ones in towns don't change much, but it is interesting for the cadets. I feel for Fuyu the most, the awkward little sister to Aki who really has a rough time of it. I think the real horror concerning the crystal stealing the memories of the dead from the living plays out the best with the NPCs as opposed to the main story. Though creepy scientist guy does add some real layers to it.

I am also grateful that certain questlines carry over. I may have to start all over with Carla (apparently I missed the first time she asks for money) but I'm grateful Emina and Science boy start back where you left off. I also think its cool that the symbol of quest completion for some of the NPC remain when you redo it.