Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor Mill: Sony might be trying to revive Silent Hills

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Rumor Mill: Sony might be trying to revive Silent Hills

Some of you have probably been hearing about how Sony might be working with both Konami and Kojima Productions to revive Silent Hills or how Konami wants to reboot the franchise. Even Team Silent seems to talking about working on a new project that has been strongly hinted to being a new Silent Hill game.

What are your thoughts. Hell the rumors are growing to the point where some are suggesting Sony may be in talks to buy Konami's IPs from them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

God, I don’t know. Silent Hills looked so good but I’m kind of just at peace with the fact that ship has sailed

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Honestly, I didn't like P.T. at all, so if that was any indication of the full Silent Hills game, I wouldn't have liked it anyway.

That said, I still love SH 1-3, so if anybody plans on picking the franchise up again, I'm all for it. Given that the number of SH games I don't care about now outnumber the ones I do care about, chances are low I'd like a new one, but there's a chance nonetheless.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Konami hasn't made a good silent hill in over a decade and I won't pretend to even know what the old team silent people are up to these days. They could all be dead for all I know. The guy making PT hasn't been there for quite a while, and even if he was I wouldn't be interested after seeing how Death Stranding turned out (haven't played it but I've seen enough gameplay to know I'd hate it and I have no desire to play something made by a Kojima who had no one to tell him "no, you can't just make a game that's you getting more self indulgent than ever and just jerking yourself off on the disc and calling it a day").

Long story short I don't care about any of these franchises anymore and even if they were brought back and they were good I doubt I'd ever get into them like I was when I was younger.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well the actual Silent Hill reboot is rumored to have Keiichiro Toyama helming the project, he was the director and original designer for the first Silent Hill game but left Konami afterwards and joined Sony so he can make the Siren horror series instead. Monster designer Masahiro Ito is suppose to be on the project, and its his coy twitter account that has this rumor stuff going crazy cause he stated a few years back that he would never work on another Silent Hill game unless he could kill off Pyramid Head, and then a few weeks ago he tweeted "RIP Pyramid Head". The final person supposedly working on the project would be Akira Yamaoka who did all the music. So if the rumor is true, the soft reboot entry (which isn't Silent Hills) would be developed by three of the core designers from the first entry.

As for Kojima Productions doing Silent Hills, I'm all for it cause Death Stranding was actually fantastic, and I'm sure the BTs were a left over concept from Silent Hills anyway. So I'm all for the project if it gets revived. I never played PT but I've watched enough LPs to know that I feel it was a step in the right direction.

The potential problem with a Kojima led Silent Hills is, if BTs were a holdover from Silent Hills (and I think you're probably right about that), how much of the concept for Silent Hills was used for Death Stranding and where does that leave Silent Hills for being developed as an original story?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I saw this one video on YouTube that speculated that PT was never actually going to be Silent Hills and was instead Kohima setting up viral marketing for the as yet unnamed Death Stranding because he already knew the company was set on removing him. But idk that’s just a conspiracy. So perhaps there never was an actual real possibility of a Kohima led SH

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    The potential problem with a Kojima led Silent Hills is, if BTs were a holdover from Silent Hills (and I think you're probably right about that), how much of the concept for Silent Hills was used for Death Stranding and where does that leave Silent Hills for being developed as an original story?
    Probably a whole lot more considering what the concept trailer for Silent Hills looked liked.

The BTs in Death Stranding don't really cover half of what we saw in the trailer. Though I imagine characters like MAMA and Heartman may have come from early concepts of what Hills would have been since their personal stories really falls into "the living unable to let go of the dead".

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Anything new with Akira Yamaoka music is a net positive in my life.

I think Norman Reedus is "in talks" to work on another Kojima project in the future, so I'd be glad if that happened to be Silent Hills.

What are the odds on it being for a Death Stranding sequel? Seems a bit early for that and I also heard it's underperforming in sales. Not to mention it doesn't really need a sequel and probably wouldn't benefit from one, but there's gotta be a slim chance.

I noticed WolfKano never gave any links to where this all was coming from so I decided to do some investigating to see where these sources were coming from. Once I found out where it seemed the news was linked to I just had to shake my head. The internet these days is just a hell pit. A lot of these rumor channels/sites are run by one or two people from their basement and probably 80 to 90% of the stuff they say is just completely made up. I won't even bother mentioning the names of who these sources are because if I do I will be giving them exactly what they want......clicks.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
    I noticed WolfKano never gave any links to where this all was coming from so I decided to do some investigating to see where these sources were coming from. Once I found out where it seemed the news was linked to I just had to shake my head. The internet these days is just a hell pit. A lot of these rumor channels/sites are run by one or two people from their basement and probably 80 to 90% of the stuff they say is just completely made up. I won't even bother mentioning the names of who these sources are because if I do I will be giving them exactly what they want......clicks.
    Hence why I labeled the thread as "rumor mill". This is all just fan speculation, but it would be cool if it did turn out to be true. On the other hand, if enough people do talk about it, maybe Konami or Sony will get interested in the prospect.

As for Norman Reedus and Kojima doing a sequel to Death Stranding, that's very likely, though I imagine a sequel would be more spiritual in nature than literal. The only likely path a direct sequel could work for DS is if we finally got a glimpse of what's going on in the rest of the world. It was one of the biggest questions asked within the game is the fate of other nations. It is concerning that its nearly impossible to get sales numbers for DS though, so perhaps the game did flop. That's a shame cause it was honestly one of the best games Kojima has done in years, and despite the premise of gameplay, the game is actually more fun and addictive than people gave it credit for.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah, I've seen the rumours cross my feeds and it was definitely something that piqued my interest. I just did a quick search then and I'm yet to see any reputable / known publications discussing the possibility, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. I'm still doubtful that Konami will ever get over their bulltrout but if Sony can throw enough money around then anything is possible.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    As for Norman Reedus and Kojima doing a sequel to Death Stranding, that's very likely, though I imagine a sequel would be more spiritual in nature than literal. The only likely path a direct sequel could work for DS is if we finally got a glimpse of what's going on in the rest of the world. It was one of the biggest questions asked within the game is the fate of other nations. It is concerning that its nearly impossible to get sales numbers for DS though, so perhaps the game did flop. That's a shame cause it was honestly one of the best games Kojima has done in years, and despite the premise of gameplay, the game is actually more fun and addictive than people gave it credit for.
    It might be kind of cool if they did a Death Stranding series in the style of American Horror Story, where the games are mostly disconnected with different character but they largely use the same cast.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well Konami officially spoke on the issue and confirmed what we already knew. The rumors are just rumors. Not surprised, but as with anything dealing with Konami lately, disappointing.