Thread: The Best and Worst Limit Break in the franchise

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Best and Worst Limit Break in the franchise

I'm not talking about the mechanics, and this does count Desperation attacks, Trance, Overdives, FUll ATB Bar, Quickenings, and Armiger; which one was your absolute favorite and least favorite?

This isn't about liking or hating one system over another, I'm talking down to individual skills here so you can say Omnislash is your favorite Limit Break, but bot VII's sytem, or you can hate Amarant's Trance move, but you can't list all of the Trance abilities. You pick one individual Limit-type move for each category.

I don't really care for Cait Sith's limit breaks. Too random. Especially slots because it can give you an instant game over.

Best = Great Gospel

i always like the simple brutality of zell's heel drop. nothing flash or fancy, just dropping that heel on some poor sod's face

i didnt care for Healing Wind, because it never really got me out of trouble. a lot of healing limits are like that, theyre designed to be used at a certain time but often come in too late or too early, or are not effective enough, etc

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My favorite will always be Mirage Dive since it was my first Limit break in the series.

My least favorite is probably Lulu's Overdrive, it just never felt like it was as impressive as it sounded like it should be.

Best? Something from VII?

Worst? Noctis' Kingsglaive or whatever it is called.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Best, Renzokuken. It just feels good.

Worst, agreed with WK on Lulu's Fury.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Zell's. That trout is op as smurf when you know the trick to pause the game after every attack to make it last as long as possible.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thinking about it now for each entry...

FFVI
    Best: Mirage Dive because it was my first one I ever saw, though design wise I like Cyan and Gogo's the best\
    Worst: Soul Sabre and Star Prims, the DA's of Strago and Relm, since all they do is Instant kill one enemy and it won;t work if the enemy has immunity to instant death.

FFVII
    Best: Meteor Rain is probably my favorite since you don't have to work too hard to get it and it has a great damage output only beaten by Lv. 4 Limit breaks.
    Worst: All Creation and Cosmo Memory, dropped the ball by making them both single hit. Worst for Yuffie since Doom of the Living is a much better Limit.

FFVIII
    Best: Renzoken/Lionheart it's easier than trying to get the conditions right for Zell's Armaggeddon fist and I don;t have to worry about RNG or ammo like the other characters.
    Worst: Slots, part of me wanted to say Blue Magic, but Quistis gets a few good skills to compensate for it whereas Slots is a crapshoot.

FFIX
    Best: Dbl Black or Dbl White - Highest damage output in the game.
    Worst: Garnet's cause it's mechanics are messy and not nearly as good as it sounds on paper. Second choice goes to Quina.

FFX
    Best: Wakka's Reels, super easy and you get ridiculous damage early in the game. I've completely one-shotted bosses with this overdrive.
    Worst: Lulu's Fury, I've calculated one time that simply double casting a spell often would have done more damage than hitting an enemy with the Fury Overdrive.

FFXII
    Best: Ashe has my favorite set of Quickenings. Baltheir or Fran has my second favorite.
    Worst: Vaan actually has my least favorite except for Pyroclasm, I like the design of the attack.

FFXIII
    Best: Army of One is visually the coolest of all the attacks and it's stagger power makes up for its low damage. Death is my next favorite
    Worst: Sovereign Fist or Highwind. They do good high damage but only work well under very specific circumstances like having an enemy be staggered and almost ready to recover since the moves both reset the Stagger gauge. Not helped that both of them are too similar to each other in design makes them pretty boring as well.

FFXV
    Best: Either Ignis' Regroup or Overwhelm Techniques the first is great for getting out of a tough spot and the second one is one of the best damage dealing techs in the game that is great for bringing the hurt on tougher opponents. The fact they are both lower tier moves also makes it more likely you'll see them in a fight.
    Worst: Snapshot, like why Prompto?

Cool.

FF7 -I've already given these.
    FF8 - Best: Renzokuken/Lionheart
    Worst: Selphie's random magic trout.
    FF9 - Best: Vivi's Doublecast. One of the few ways to top 9999 damage in a turn in the game.
    Worst - To my recollection Quina's just makes eating easier
    FFX - Best - Auron's Bushido
    Worst - Wakka's Reels. I always hate slot based limits.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I've played VI multiple times, but I've never seen those.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I've played VI multiple times, but I've never seen those.
    They are rare, you have to have the character at critical health and they only have a 1/16th chance of performing one when you use the attack command. Only Gau and Umaro don't have one.

Don't know about best, but new favorites are 7R limits, especially Level 2 (Ascension, Dolphin Flurry, Catastrophe, and even Planet's Protection is useful).

Most useless IMO, still Noctis.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Blog Entries

My favorite will always be Omnislash since FF7 was my first Jrpg! ^^

I agree with Wolf Kannon...Lulu's overdrive is boring!