Thread: Favourite FF soundfont?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Default Favourite FF soundfont?

Most FF's have a unique set of instruments or sounds used in their OST's atleast 4-9 do. Soundfonts are really good for being able to tell what FF you are listening to even without seeing the name!
    My favourite soundfont is probably FFV i just like the synths in that one a lot. However my least favourite is definetly FF7's there are so many annoying instruments in there that they even ruin songs that are good. the worst is this weird sound that i think is supposed to be a violin or something but sounds like a cat being run over by a train on ice.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The funny thing for me is that I tend to prefer the soundfonts over live instruments. Not even counting just FF and going into other games, I like the sounfonts in DQ better than when they transitioned to live music, same with Mario.

To answer your question, I think VI and IX have my favorites. I can't really think of one I find particularly bad. I sort of just got use to VII's weird one for instance.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I like the sounfonts in DQ better than when they transitioned to live music,
    Ok, I can understand a lot of things, but not this. Sugiyama is notoriously terrible with his midis, what with the being so barebones. It’s clear that his stuff is intended to be performed by an orchestra, judging by how the symphonic suites sound fine with no arrangement needed at all, but the brass and the strings are all incredibly poor in all of his soundtracks. This is most evident in and unmodded DQXI where the primitive sounds are incredibly jarring against the HD characters and environments.

That said, I’d say the sound font for FF I like the most is probably the FFV/VI one, alongside the FFVII one. This is Uematsu’s peak right here, and part of the reason for that is that he really knows how to use this soundfont well. Dancing Mad and Clash on the Big Bridge slap lime there’s no tomorrow in their original forms, and though the FFVII remake music is nice, it just can’t beat the atmosphere of the original.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Yah i will agree that despite me not liking the instruments in FFVII I still like the ost, and some songs sound good in that soundfont. I like the start of one winged angel with um whatever makes that noise ( by start i mean literally like the first sound you hear lol)