Thread: The last game you purchased on day one

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The last game you purchased on day one

What's the last game you got the day it came out?

Feel free to differentiate between something you ordered online and something you waited in line for. I suspect a lot of people's given answer right now will be Animal Crossing, but what about before that?

Honestly, the last time I went to a "midnight release" of a game was probably the original Dissidia on PSP. Even then, I think GameStop was only open that late because one of the Batman games came out on the same day.

Thanks to online shipping, there isn't too much of a reason to wait in line for a game. I feel like I might have had Type-0 shipped to my house on launch because I bought the collector's edition. Even then, it has been a few years.

I'm trying to think of Day 1 purchases from 2016 to now, and i'm drawing a blank. Though there are a handful of games I've played a few months after release, I'm sure.

Probably Persona 5, but I'm not sure. I might have gotten something more recently. Did not get Royal on the first day. Too many other games dividing my interest now and I know Royal will be all consuming for me once I get it
    ..... I can't actually guarantee I won't crack this weekend.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Halo 4 was the last game i got in person ( technically my mum got it hehe)
    Halo 5 was the last i bought online day 1 and i regretted it because it is BAD!

If you count expansions for MMO's i guess Shadowbringers in FFXIV was the last i got day 1

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

If we're talking digital, RE3 remake, just today
    For physical copies, it's Nioh 2 if we include online pre-orders, as i generally just pre-order games so they arrive in my mail on the day or even before the day of release
    Last time I actually went to a physical store to get a game on day 1 was...probably Killzone: Shadow Fall, technically, since it came with my PS4.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know for sure that I got Persona 5 Royal, Animal Crossing, and Dreams at release. Those were all digital, but that’s mainly because I don’t have the space to keep adding to my physical collection right now. And not wanting to go out as well.

I can’t remember if I got Kingdom Hearts 3 at release or not. Most games I end up waiting a few days even if they are highly anticipated just because I want to get it when I’m going to be able to have the most time to play.

Dragon Quest XI.

Next one will probably be Baldur's Gate 3.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not sure. I religiously buy all Naughty Dogs AAA games on their release date. It must have been Uncharted 4, I think. Obviously next will be FFVIIR. I really wish I pre-ordered it sooner though as it's not due to arrive till 11th April. I'm also getting The Last of Us Part 2 on release but that has just been delayed indefinitely

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Death Stranding was my last Pre-Order Day 1 purchase. I think the last midnight release I did was for FFXIII. Probably why I don't anymore.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I think the last midnight release I did was for FFXIII. Probably why I don't anymore.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I think the last midnight release I did was for FFXIII. Probably why I don't anymore.
    What? I feel I've established my dislike of this game before.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I just bought Bannerlord at release, and I've preordered the FF7Remake, but typically I'm relying on sales / humble to get access to games. I think one of the few upcoming games I am planning to purchase day one / in advance is the PC port of Death Stranding. Otherwise it's after-the-fact purchase for me!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I got Persona 5 Royal the day before it dropped. Before that... I got both Street Fighter V Champion Edition and Dreams on release day this year for a birthday present for myself. Physical, I don't buy digital majority of the time.

I've enjoyed everything so far. I'm having trouble building things with Dreams and can't seem to find any help online with it which frustrates the hell out of me because it's really important to me.

I haven't played fighting games seriously since 2012 and it felt good going back into Street Fighter. Got Tekken 7 recently too. I'm a lot better at Tekken like always, but I like them both.

Blog Entries

I just got into the Valorant closed Beta if that counts since it's F2P. Otherwise Skyrim.